Re: Crash when trying to edit video settings.

by EA_David

Original Post

Crash when trying to edit video settings.

★★ Novice

Product: Titanfall 2
Platform:PC
Summarize your bug Titanfall 2 runs fine but every time I try to edit the video settings, it crashes to desktop wothout any error messages.
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Click the video settings.
What happens when the bug occurs? Titanfall 2 crashes and I'm taken back to my desktop.
What do you expect to see? The video settings.

I have a gtx 1070 and a i7-6700. Also, Origin overlay doesn't work in windowed or fullscreen mode even though it's enabled in the settings.

Message 1 of 9 (1,834 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@MG_PatternThanks for the post, it's an odd situation. 

Can I check if you encounter the same issue if you swap the game to windowed? Press Alt & Enter to do so. 

Perhaps a Clean Boot will help?

https://help.ea.com/en/help/faq/how-to-clean-boot-your-pc/

Thanks. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 9 (1,793 Views)

★★ Novice

I tried accessing the settings in windowed and fullscreen mode, there doesn't seem to be a difference because it still crashes.

The clean boot seemed to not affect anything at all.

Message 3 of 9 (1,778 Views)

Community Manager

I see, thanks for the update and extra info. Can you try wiping your profile.cfg settings file then try again? You'll find it at My Documents\Respawn\Titanfall2\profile

be sure to make a backup of this to another location first, so you can replace it if something breaks. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 4 of 9 (1,766 Views)

★★ Novice

I deleted the profile.cfg file and it still does not work. Previously, I also fully reinstalled both Origin and Titanfall 2.

Message 5 of 9 (1,757 Views)

Community Manager

Thanks. If you swap to a different user profile does this have any effect on the issue?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/14039/windows-7-fix-corrupted-user-profile

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 6 of 9 (1,750 Views)

★★ Novice

I seem to have found a workaround. Even though the video settings crash my game, manually editing the settings using the profile.cfg file works.

Message 7 of 9 (1,744 Views)

Community Manager

Thanks for the update, that's one way around the issue. I'm still not sure why the crash would happen, but if you're happy with this workaround then I'm happy. 

I take it you don't have any issues wth saving the campaign? That's also writing data to a file in your My Documents, I'm quite curious whether this also manifests issues?

Cheers. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 8 of 9 (1,737 Views)

★★ Novice

Campaign progress seems to be saving just fine. However, I haven't payed much singleplayer.

Message 9 of 9 (1,729 Views)