macOS thread - updated to include 10.15 Catalina

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Re: macOS Sierra - Sims 3 and Sims 4

★★★ Newbie

I updated my Macbook Air (2015) to Mac OS Sierra about 2 weeks ago. Now it does not work at all. It keeps popping up with the sims 3 is not responding. It originally would not even open the app, and it would say: unknown error occurred. after uninstalling the sims 3, and reinstalling it 3 times I can now open they app, but when i click to play on the play button, it opens an image of the sims diamond shape and freezes on that. I have tried patches etc, updating my game, nothing is working. 

Please help!!

Thank you!

Graphics: 

Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

memory:

4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

processor:

1.6 GHz Intel Core i5

Message 21 of 279 (6,588 Views)

★★★ Novice

Responding because Ambitions and Late Night are exactly the ones that are affected...  After one of my many uninstalls I added Late Night first and that actually worked... However all expansion packs installed after rejected me with my issue of "unknown error occurred" I checked and have the same intel graphics installed.. so i can only assume thats the problem.. Im trying to wait patiently for an update before I  scream LOL 

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB

Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB 

I think thats also what the initial poster had as well... 

Message 22 of 279 (6,576 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Meso2506

Your problem is always going to be the Intel HD 6000 graphics as it is not supported by the game, it's never been compatible. The issue was exacerbated when El Capitan came out and now seemingly worse since updating to Sierra. Late Night and Ambitions are unplayable so if you have those installed then try manually uninstalling them and see if you can play. There's a sticky on this forum which goes into the issue further - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-The-Sims-3-Issues-playing-on-newer-post-2013-Mac...

@Ohmysdj69

Your Macs graphics are supported so you're not affected by the incompatibility issue. Your Mac switches to the NVIDIA 650M when the game launches but even if it didn't the Intel HD 4000 is still supported. Have you tried playing in a second user account on your Mac? Have you moved out your Sims 3 folder and played a new, clean game? Or have you uninstalled and reinstalled cleanly to see if a fresh install works? Bear in mind that Sims 3 is no longer in development so it is not being tested on new operating systems. It's also highly unlikely that EA will be releasing any further updates to the game, the last one being in January 2014.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 23 of 279 (6,569 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I have Sims 3 as well as the late night and generations expansion packs and custom content. I've had these for several months but now my game has started acting weird. It would get to the page where you pick your family and it would say "Disc Authorization Failure, contact customer service". I read a few forums and they recommended uninstalling the games and reinstalling them using origin. So I did as instructed and now the game won't even load and it'll say "an unknown error has occurred". I've tried everything, restarting my computer, checking for viruses, deleting my custom content, etc. Nothing works! I've had my friend log into my origin account and it works on her computer but not mine...

Here is some info about my MacBook: 

It's a MacBook Pro (mid 2012) 

it's running on macOS Sierra (Version 10.12.1)

Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 4 GB 1600 MHz

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB

Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Message 24 of 279 (6,457 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I only have Sims 3, Late Night, and the Loft stuff expansion, however I currently only have the original sims 3 installed. When i got to open the game, it says unknown error occurred. This problem only started after the installation of macOS Sierra.

Macbook Air

1.4 GHz Intel Core i5

4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB

Message 25 of 279 (6,428 Views)

★★★★ Novice

• MacBook Pro (15" Late 2016) 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB NVMe Storage, AMD Radeon Pro 460 4GB
  • Fresh Install macOS Sierra 10.12.1
  • Sims 3
  • Program runs fine after installing only base game through Origin and patching to 1.67, installing World Adventures brings up errors but ultimately works smoothly, any expansion after simply fails to load at all bringing up the 'An Unknown Error Occurred Message'. Cannot bring up launcher, bypassing launcher fails to produce any results as well. Have tried everything I could find from clearing Sims 3 Documents folder to  modifying graphics card files to doing proper uninstall to running the 1.67 superpatch after every installation runtime. No success in getting game to boot.
  • All 11 EPs, None of the SPs

Message 26 of 279 (6,419 Views)

★★★ Newbie
  • MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)

1.3 GHz Intel Core i5

Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB

• I have upgraded from El Capitan to macOS Sierra
  • Sims 3
  • I have the: High End Loft Stuff, Ambitions, Late Night, Pets, Show Time, Katy Perry Sweet Treats, Diesel Stuff, Supernatural, Seasons, University and Island Paradise

I updated to macOS Sierra because I couldn't play Sims 3 as with El Capitan, I received the "No Disk Inserted" errors, when a disk was inserted. But now, when I press play on the launcher, it gets stuck on the diamond screen and the app does not respond. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Island Paradise, creating a new acc on my Mac, but nothing seems to work. Help please? 

Message 27 of 279 (6,298 Views)

★ Novice
Upgraded from OS X to sierra and now sims 3 no longer works. Sims 4 still runs fine. I had sims 3, late night, pets, generations and seasons installed - all stored on an external hard drive. Have tried reinstalling but could only get sims 3 with no expansion packs to run and would only occasionally work - other times just ended up with a black screen

MacBook Pro retina (13 inch early 2015) 2.7 processor intel core i5. Intel iris graphics 6100
Message 28 of 279 (6,277 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hello,

I'm having a problem and am hoping that someone has a solution.

My Computer:

MacBook Pro 15 inch, Mid 2010

2.66 GHz Intel Core i7

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512MB

Intel HD Graphics 288MB

Running macOS Sierra version 10.12.2

The problem is with Sims 4. I have played the game many times on my computer with no problems. However, recently when I try to play my game crashes as soon as I get to the plumbot (sp?) screen. It then sends my computer into Kernal panic which restarts my whole computer. It has done this like 6 or 7 times now in a row and it's very frustrating!

I checked to see if the game needed updating and it was completely up to date. I repaired my games as well. I cleared out the cache (I dote play with cc or mods) and nothing. I checked my system and updated my OSx and nada.

Have any more solutions?

Thanks,

April

Message 29 of 279 (6,238 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Trying to run Sim3 base game on Sierra for the first time. Program stalls everytime.  Is there a way to know when a fix is ready to be downloaded? I mean, aside from trying to install updates everyday. Here is my info:

• Mac specs: MacBook Air, Late 2010, 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB (model, year, processor, RAM, graphics)
  • Have you upgraded from a previous version of OS X or have you done a fresh install? Upgraded from prev version OS X to Sierra
  • Which game - Sims 3 from disc
  • A detailed description of the issue(s): installed Sims 3 then installed the updated. Sims crashed during initial installation of updated. I closed it and reopened then installed updates again. That time it worked. From there I tried to play the game (using the Play button on the Sims home screen). The screen changes to the larger game window that just says Sims (no buttons) and hangs there. I left it for 5 minutes with no progress. Had to quit the program through the Mac.  Tried to load it again and the game play window didn’t appear this time but it still hung. Cancelled it though my computer.  Tried restarting the computer and opening it but it didn’t help.
  • Which Expansion/Game/Stuff Packs you have installed: none so far. I have the supernatural expansion pack but am waiting to install until the main version works.
Message 30 of 279 (5,331 Views)