Re: macOS Sierra - Sims 3 and Sims 4

by elelellen92

Original Post

macOS thread - updated to include 10.15 Catalina

[ Edited ]

This thread concentrates on the latest version of macOS, including beta versions, and how Sims 3 and Sims 4 run. If you are running the latest version please take a minute to post your experiences. For an up to date list of current issues in Mojave please see the posts below under Sims 3 or Sims 4. Bear in mind that if you install the beta versions you will most likely have some sort of issues along the way. Operating systems are not supported in any form of beta by Maxis/EA. 

Please provide the following:

• Mac specs. Please provide ALL of the information listed here
  • Have you upgraded from a previous version of macOS or have you done a fresh install?
  • Which game - Sims 3, Sims 4 or both
  • A detailed description of the issue(s)
  • Which Expansion/Game/Stuff Packs you have installed

10.12 Sierra posts start here.

10.13 High Sierra posts start here.

10.14 Mojave posts start here

10.15 Catalina posts start here.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 1 of 279 (51,664 Views)

[ Edited ]

macOS Sierra 10.12

Issue:

The game will not load or the Unknown Error message is popping up since updating to Sierra 10.12

Try:

1. Dragging your Sims 3 folder from Documents > Electronic Arts onto the desktop and then relaunch your game. The folder will be recreated and your game will be free of all previous saves/downloads/CC/mods/settings etc.
  2. Creating a new user account on your Mac, log into it and try playing the game
  3. Last resort - properly uninstall and reinstall the game (making sure to get rid of ALL files and folders mentioned in the help article

AHQSigImage.png
Message 2 of 279 (51,477 Views)

★★ Novice

Model: iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012)

Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

idk what RAM is sorry

Game: Sims 4

Issue: My create a sim is working just fine, but when I'm trying to actually play the game, the graphics turn really weird and then my game crashes.

I have no expansion packs.

Message 3 of 279 (51,212 Views)

@XQueenPenguinX

What version of OS X did you upgrade from, El Capitan? Was it working fine then? Your issue is most probably your NVIDIA graphics. You will need to manually update the driver (which isn't normal practice on a Mac) as there is an issue with your NVIDIA graphics card and the game. Please read instructions here on how to do so - https://bluebellflora.com/manually-update-nvidia-geforce-graphics-drivers-in-os-x/

AHQSigImage.png
Message 4 of 279 (51,200 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Newbie

hey I have the sims 3 with all expansions up to island paradise (but no stuff packs), everything was working perfectly until I upgraded to OS Sierra from Yosemite. Now when I open the game and press the play button, the screen loads startup bit with the green diamond thingy, then turns to black and nothing happens after that Frown

i have a macbook pro retina 15-inch, late2013,
2.3 GHz intel core i7 processor, 16gb RAM, and 
intel iris pro 1536MB graphics

Message 5 of 279 (51,184 Views)

@elelellen92

Your Mac's Intel graphics are not supported in the game but it is interesting that you could play before in Yosemite. Please try editing the files as per the instructions in that linked thread. If that doesn't work do a complete uninstall then reinstall the base game, then manually patch and load the game to see if it works. Install each subsequent EP, testing to see if the game works after each one. You may find that you can play again but Late Night and Ambitions may make the game unplayable. 

AHQSigImage.png
Message 6 of 279 (51,171 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have a 2014 MacBook air (1.5 GHZ i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD) which was able to run Sims 3 just fine on El Capitan. I update to macOS Sierra and now my Sims 3 and Sims University add-on refuse to run. The initial start screen with the gem and the 3 show up, but it never boots past that. Just stays on that screen no matter how long I wait.

Message 7 of 279 (51,160 Views)

@KatieReneeClark

Have you moved out your Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims 3 folder onto your desktop and tried loading the game?

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game? 

AHQSigImage.png
Message 8 of 279 (51,154 Views)

★★★ Novice

iMac 27-inch Mid 2011

2,7 GHz Intel Core i5

20GB 1333 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Installed: Sims 3 and Pets expansion pack

I did not play this game in years, but my daughter got excited and I wanted to start the game for her.

No luck, I get into this menu where I can log in but no further, the menu just dissapears and I have to force quit.

Once or twice I got to the diamond thingy but it also stopped after that and I again had to force quit.

I deinstalled and reinstalled, same issues. Then started googeling and deinstalled while also deleting all the cache, preference etc files.

Reinstalled and used a 'super patch' I found online. Same result, very frustrating!

I used an original DVD with verification code.

Message 9 of 279 (51,138 Views)

★★★ Novice

By the way it did work before on this Mac but I don't remember which OS it was running on.

Message 10 of 279 (14,763 Views)