Will this iMac be able to run TS4?

by sims929292

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Will this iMac be able to run TS4?

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Hello! I’m going to buy a new computer. I looked at TS4’s system requirements and tried to figure out if the computer will be good enough for it, but I’m not good with computer language and I can’t figure it out. The computer is the latest iMac desktop computer released by Apple.

Here is its information:
27-inch iMac
Retina 5K Display

• 3.0GHz 6-core 8th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz
• 8GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
• Radeon Pro 570X with 4GB of GDDR5 memory
• 1TB Fusion Drive storage
• Magic Mouse 2
• Magic Keyboard - US English

Please let me know if the computer is no good, just good enough, or better than what’s needed. Also, tell me if you see anything that it has or doesn’t have that may possibly cause a problem.

Additional questions:
1. What settings would it be able to run TS4 on? Right now my 10 year old iMac runs all of the settings on low in laptop mode.
2. While doing research, I read someone saying that TS4 is too powerful for Macs. Because of that, you always need to turn your settings down even on new Macs, or else the computer will be damaged. Is this true and if so what do I need to turn them down to?

Thank you for any help! Standard smile

Message 1 of 10 (1,496 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Will this iMac be able to run TS4?

@sims929292 

Upgrade to 16Gb RAM. Personally I wouldn't go with a Fusion Drive either but would opt for a lower capacity SSD. To answer your two questions:

1. Most probably on high.
  2. Depends on the Mac. If you're trying to play on all high settings on an underpowered machine then performance will be dreadful and if a laptop is not on a proper hard surface, ideally elevated, then there is the danger it can overheat. Even though the iMacs are made up of largely laptop hardware, they have better cooling and some components are more powerful.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -

View in thread

Message 2 of 10 (1,476 Views)

All Replies

@sims929292 

Upgrade to 16Gb RAM. Personally I wouldn't go with a Fusion Drive either but would opt for a lower capacity SSD. To answer your two questions:

1. Most probably on high.
  2. Depends on the Mac. If you're trying to play on all high settings on an underpowered machine then performance will be dreadful and if a laptop is not on a proper hard surface, ideally elevated, then there is the danger it can overheat. Even though the iMacs are made up of largely laptop hardware, they have better cooling and some components are more powerful.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 2 of 10 (1,477 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Thank you for your response. I will upgrade to 16Gb memory, that will not be a problem. Could you elaborate on what is wrong with the Fusion Drive, and how I would get a lower capacity SSD? I see that I can upgrade the Mac to "256GB SSD Storage," "512GB SSD Storage," or "1TB SSD Storage." Is that what you meant, and if so, which one do you recommend?

What is wrong with the Fusion Drive?

Would this particular iMac be considered too underpowered for high settings?

Thanks again Standard smile

Message 3 of 10 (1,465 Views)

@sims929292

The SSD is faster and more stable so would always be my personal choice. It is the drive of choice now for manufacturers and eventually I should think Apple will move away from Fusion drives and only use SSD/Flash storage in their Macs. A Fusion drive helps keep the cost of the machine down which is probably why it is still standard in the iMacs. Figure out how much storage you need and then use that to choose the SSD, if you go with that choice.

No, the iMac is not underpowered for high settings Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 4 of 10 (1,440 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I think those are all of my questions for now. I did some research and found out why the computer will be better with more memory and SSD storage. If it wasn't for your help, I would have never known about all that, and would have probably ended up with issues later down the road. I can't wait to experience TS4 on a brand new computer. Thank you so much!!!

Message 5 of 10 (1,427 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@Bluebellflora

Hello again! I thought I was finished asking questions, but now I’m back with more. Now, I’m considering a different iMac. It’s more powerful than the other one. Also, I took your advice and upgraded to more memory and SSD storage.

Here is its information:

Retina 5K Display

3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz

32GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory

1TB SSD storage
Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
Retina 5K 5120-by-2880 P3 display

Questions:
1. Again, is this computer good enough to run TS4? Do you see anything concerning? I feel like it exceeds the game's requirements and will be an amazing experience, is that true?
2. I have a choice between two different graphic cards. They are: Radeon Pro 580X with 8GB of GDDR5 memory OR Radeon Pro Vega 48 with 8GB of HBM2 memory. Which one do you recommend for TS4 and games in general? Is one better than the other? Is there a difference at all? I tried to research this but still can’t figure it out. All I know is that the second one is more expensive, but is it better?
3. I will also be playing a game called Roblox. I don’t know if you know anything about it but if you do, will it work on this computer? They don’t list any system requirements for Mac even though it does work on Macs.
4. Is this a good gaming computer in general, as far as Macs go? Would any game be likely to work extremely well on it? Would it be too powerful for certain games?

Sorry about all of the questions, I just want to make sure that I will not be buying a computer only to find out that none of my games work on it. It's worrying me quite a bit, in case you couldn't tell. I even went to an Apple Store today to ask questions but I forgot to ask about the graphics card.
Thanks once again for the help! Standard smile

Message 6 of 10 (1,399 Views)

@sims929292 

1. Yes and yes
  2. I found this article about GDDR5 vs HBM2 which may help you decide. You could also read this wiki page.
  3. I've no idea about Roblox, you should ask on their forums/social media.
  4. I'm not sure what you mean by Would it be too powerful for certain games? No computer is ever too powerful for an app but it can be incompatible and unsupported as games get older and technology advances.

The questions are good but you have to be realistic. Not everything will run forever. For example, Sims 2, Sims 3 and SimCity will no longer run in the next version of macOS due to Apple dropping all support for 32-bit apps. Sims 3 has had colossal issues on Macs produced since 2013 but through sheer perseverance and determination some of us manage to get it to work Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 7 of 10 (1,385 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@Bluebellflora

It’s official… I bought the computer! It will be arriving in 3 weeks. I decided on the Radeon Pro Vega graphics card. You found an article which I hadn’t read yet so that was good.

I know exactly what you’re talking about with TS3. My iMac is from 2009 but I still had a nightmare of an experience with TS3. Crashing, strange graphics, awful lag. Everyone told me it was because I’m playing on a Mac. I think CC probably had something to do with it as well, which is why I don’t use CC in TS4 at all.

Luckily, TS4 has been working perfectly on my 10 year old computer, minus the low settings. When I found out that it won’t work on it anymore in June then I knew it was finally time for a new computer.

Thank you again for your help. I’m glad that I asked here first instead of just blindly getting that low memory computer like I was going to. Now, it’s time to wait 3 long weeks to play. Thank you again! I am so happy that this Sims Mac forum exists Large smile

Message 8 of 10 (1,373 Views)

@sims929292

You're very welcome - enjoy!

AHQSigImage.png
Message 9 of 10 (1,366 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@sims929292 Hello! Just wondering if you could tell me what kind of peformance you’ve been getting with the Vega 48 frame rate wise? Standard smile

@Bluebellflora was amazing at sharing her specs and peformance with the 580X, just trying to work out what the peformance difference is for the $450 difference.

Thank you in advance :D
Message 10 of 10 (912 Views)