When I try to launch The Sims 3, I get a dialogue saying, "Unable to start game

by StephJ82

Original Post

When I try to launch The Sims 3, I get a dialogue saying, "Unable to start game

★★★★★ Novice

I have a Macbook Pro using OS Mojave 10.14.3 please help

Message 2 of 47 (1,013 Views)

Re: Can't open sims 3 after install on Mac OS Mojave V. 10.14 !

★★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict please can you help me I have a MacBook Pro and it has Mojave Version 10.14.03

I've downloaded Sims 3 on Origin and it installs fine but then it says it won't load, I found your thread and I've followed the instructions on https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-how-to-bypass-the-launcher-on-a-mac/

It did change things as now the Sims 3 logo comes up which didn't before I then I get a message saying "Unable to start game, Service initialization failed (0x0175ddcbb)"

Please help I really love playing Sims 3

Message 1 of 47 (1,002 Views)

Re: When I try to launch The Sims 3, I get a dialogue saying, "Unable to st

@StephJ82  I've merged your posts, since you're just seeing the one problem.

I'm guessing that when you tried to launch TS3, you saw an unknown error message, and then when you tried bypassing the launcher, you saw this second error.  This is because the underlying issues aren't addressed by bypassing the launcher.

There are several causes of the unknown error messages, and which fixes you need to apply will depend on your computer's specs and which packs you've installed.  So please list those packs and provide your specs, as described in this post:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/475...

In the meantime, if you've uninstalled, or tried to uninstall, the whoe game or any of your packs, it's best to start with a clean uninstall and go from there.

https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 3 of 47 (985 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict  thank you for replying, I am using:

Mac OS mojave v. 10,14.3 
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)

Processor 2 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 8 GB 1867 MHz LPDDR3

Startup Disk Macintosh HD

Graphics Intel Iris Graphics 540 1536 MB

Expension Packs:

World Adventures

Ambitions

Late Night

Generations

Supernatural

Seasons

University Life

Island Paradise

Into the Future

Stuff Pack: High-End Loft Stuff

I run it from Origin, I haven't got the CD's and I've been onto the origin live chat so I've uninstalled and reinstalled and everything

Message 4 of 47 (962 Views)

@StephJ82  Alright, the first step is a clean uninstall of everything.  TS3's built-in uninstaller won't remove all the hidden library files, and those files can prevent you from launching the game going forward, even if you do everything else right.

https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

Next, install just the base game, no packs, and run the Super Patch (digital download version) to manually patch the game to 1.67.  The launcher doesn't do a good job of patching on its own, and the Super Patch won't hurt.

https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-manual-super-patch-for-mac-1-67/

Now try to launch the game.  I think the base game alone should run on your system with no other interventions; I distinctly remember someone else with your same specs going through the same process.  But if it doesn't run, let me know before you try to install any packs.  And don't bother bypassing the launcher at this point, either, but do make sure to restart your computer before you launch the game.

If you can run the base game, you can install your packs.  Most will install correctly, but Ambitions and Late Night will not.  So you'll need to apply two workarounds.  The first is to create an alias for each of these packs in Applications, alongside the alias for the base game:

https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-packs-not-showing-as-installed/

The second workaround is to copy files from Ambitions and Late Night into the folder for your newest pack by the date EA released it.  So if you install all of your packs, the files go in the folder for Into the Future.  This video explains where to find the files and how to copy them over:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-Sims-3-Unknown-Error-in-El-Capitan-Sierra-High/...

If you have any questions about this process, or something goes wrong along the way, just let me know.

P.S.  You don't need to launch the game from Origin.  Just double-click on the icon in Applications that corresponds to your newest pack, and leave Origin out of the picture entirely.

Message 5 of 47 (955 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict I haven't any of my Sims CD's so won't I need to reinstall through Origin?

Message 6 of 47 (953 Views)

@StephJ82  Yes, you need to install from Origin.  Even if you had disc copies, you'd still need to use the digital download version, as OS Mojave won't authenticate TS3 discs.  But once the game is installed, you don't need to run it from Origin.  In fact, you could uninstall Origin entirely once you've installed all of your packs.  This is only true in mac OS; the Windows version needs to be launched through Origin each time.

Message 7 of 47 (944 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Hi @puzzlezaddict I tried to follow the instructions I uninstalled the game reinstalled it, did the superpatch, and I still got a message saying Unknown Error , I'll try again tomorrow though, thanks

Message 8 of 47 (935 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Hi @puzzlezaddict sorry to keep annoying you but I got halfway trough the superpatch and I got a message saying 'You cannot apply this patch on this version of the application'

Message 9 of 47 (914 Views)

@StephJ82  You're not annoying me at all; the point of having a forum is so that people can ask questions instead of just following guides.

The Super Patch needs to be applied to the base game, so when you run it, navigate to the green plumbob icon that sits in Applications\The Sims 3.  Using anything else, whether a folder or the icon for a pack, will cause the patcher to throw that error.

Message 10 of 47 (908 Views)