Unknown Error on Mac/High Sierra Sims3 Base game Launch

by babbeygirl7

Original Post

Unknown Error on Mac/High Sierra Sims3 Base game Launch

★★★ Newbie

So I'm attempting to play Sims 3 on a mac with High Sierra and it won't let me. I keep getting a little message box saying 'Unkown Error'. Now, I've looked up about it and attempted to get in contact with EAGames and they are offline/Not responding?? It's very frustrating so this is my last resort before I raise hell on them and get a refund on everything. Here are the things I've done to try and get this working:

Uninstall/reinstall Origin (a suggestion from the EA website help on 'Unknown errors')

Uninstall/reinstall Sims 3 base game

Restart computer/restart Origin

Do a Clean Uninstall by the advice from a post on here to someone else (bluebell or something)

Uninstall Sims3 and re-buy it from online.

My mac doesn't have a disc drive so online is all I can do to download anything. The base game I've had for years and originally was on a dell but was able to transfer it to a 2006 mac, an now trying to transfer it again to my 2018 Mac. If anyone has any helpful advise on 1) getting the base game working or 2) getting my refund it would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 3 (653 Views)

Re: Unknown Error on Mac/High Sierra Sims3 Base game Launch

[ Edited ]

@babbeygirl7  You shouldn't have to rebuy anything; as long as TS3 is in your Origin account, you can download it for free onto your mac.  It's good that you did a clean uninstall, as that would be the first thing recommended, but if you've installed anything more than the base game since then, it's a good idea to do another clean uninstall before proceeding.  The unknown error message has several distinct causes, and it's best to address them one at a time.  It might be best to delete everything anyway, just to cover all your bases.

So, once you've uninstalled, you can reinstall the base game only and run the Super Patch (digital download version) to patch the game to 1.67.  Even if it thinks it's already patched, it may not be, and the Super Patch won't hurt.

https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-manual-super-patch-for-mac-1-67/

Then try launching the game.  If you can play, it's time to start installing your packs.  There are four packs (Ambitions, Late Night, Fast Lane, and Outdoor Living) that don't install properly in mac OS and will throw an unknown error message.  You can follow this guide to fix the issues, starting with step 4:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/698...

If you can't launch just the base game, then you'll need to edit your .sgr files to force TS3 to recognize your graphics card.  This is a bit complicated, but Bluebellflora can help—just post your computer's specs and the device ID of your graphics card here.  This post lists the relevant information and where to find it:

https://bluebellflora.com/2018/07/24/sims-3-mac-players-i-need-your-help/#Information

If you do decide not to deal with all of this, or you bought a second copy of the base game and want a refund, the only way to get one is through EA customer support.  There's no reason you should have had to pay for the game twice, so if the first copy is registered to you in Origin, it's perfectly reasonable to ask for a refund on the second purchase.

https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (639 Views)

Re: Unknown Error on Mac/High Sierra Sims3 Base game Launch

★★★ Newbie
Thank you @puzzlezaddict for the links as well as being clear on everything. I did try to reinstall other packs right after the base game, one of the new packs being Late Night. So that maybe the problem or it might not. A good clean Uninstall will probably do me good anyhow.

Odd thing was, when I posted this problem I had tried getting help from EA directly, I've had help from them before but for some reason I was unable to submit any request for assistance, either by chat or telephone. Maybe they were doing maintenance that day I don't know but I will try again and let everyone know when I've got it.
Message 3 of 3 (611 Views)