Re: Unknown Error, Sims3, no solution!

by roberta591

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Unknown Error, Sims3, no solution!

★★★★★ Newbie

I downloaded the Sims 3 recently, in a bundle with the Sims Pets expansion. It worked completely fine, but I realised the Pets expansion was not installed, so I did so and... Unknown Error! I tried all the methods available online, but none of them fixed my issue.

I also removed some of the expansions that came with the program, Late Night and Design & High-Tech to see if it would fix it. Nothing.

I am very disappointed, as I spent about £59 on this. Can someone recommend a new solution?

Message 1 of 3 (523 Views)

Accepted Solution

@owensteel2003  The unknown error messages are fairly common in macOS.  Since you were able to play before downloading Pets, it should be straightforward to fix the issue.

Since you've already uninstalled some of your packs, normally the proper method would be to do a clean uninstall of everything, including the base game.  But you may be able to skip the first step.  The easy approach would be:

Note that all of these steps must be followed, together, for the game to launch.

If this doesn't help, start with a clean uninstall.  You'll need to remove TS3's hidden files manually, as the uninstaller that comes with the game will never delete them.  Here's a guide to finding those files:

https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

Then reinstall the base game only, and run the Super Patch.  If TS3 launches, you can install all of your packs, applying the two workarounds described above for Late Night.  (The other packs will be fine.)

If it doesn't launch for some reason, let me know where in the process it went wrong.  And of course, feel free to ask for clarification on any of the steps.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 3 of 3 (509 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

@owensteel2003   Let's get started with some basic questions. Is your computer a pc or mac (and yes in makes a big difference)? If your computer is a pc please post your computer's dxdiag -  how to post the dxdiag  then attach the txt file to the paper clip in the lower right of the forum response window.

Message 2 of 3 (514 Views)

@owensteel2003  The unknown error messages are fairly common in macOS.  Since you were able to play before downloading Pets, it should be straightforward to fix the issue.

Since you've already uninstalled some of your packs, normally the proper method would be to do a clean uninstall of everything, including the base game.  But you may be able to skip the first step.  The easy approach would be:

Note that all of these steps must be followed, together, for the game to launch.

If this doesn't help, start with a clean uninstall.  You'll need to remove TS3's hidden files manually, as the uninstaller that comes with the game will never delete them.  Here's a guide to finding those files:

https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

Then reinstall the base game only, and run the Super Patch.  If TS3 launches, you can install all of your packs, applying the two workarounds described above for Late Night.  (The other packs will be fine.)

If it doesn't launch for some reason, let me know where in the process it went wrong.  And of course, feel free to ask for clarification on any of the steps.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 3 of 3 (510 Views)