Re: Sims 4 won't launch with mods anymore (Mac)

by dovviie

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 won't launch with mods anymore (Mac)

★★★ Newbie

Hi everyone,

Since the most recent Sims 4 update (I think this was late August?) my game won't launch - it manages to get to the Sims 4 logo screen and then freezes and will not launch the game. I have a Macbook Pro Retina from the mid-2015 range.

I've identified that the problem is my mods (I removed the mod folder and the game launched fine), but I don't want to have to get rid of all my mods, as I have 456 and it would be impossible to identify any specific ones that are bugging out the game.

About 98% of my mods are just clothes, makeup, hair, that sort of thing. I don't understand why my game refuses to work when I've previously had no problems with the gameplay + mods? Anyone else having this problem, and is there anything I can do to fix it?

Message 1 of 3 (554 Views)

Accepted Solution

@dovviie  It's highly likely that one or more of your mods is incompatible with the latest patch, and you need to download a new version or get rid of the mod entirely.  Unfortunately, there's no way to know which mods are affected, other than to test them.  But you can try them out in batches—if one batch works, put it aside and try the next one; any batch that doesn't work gets split and retested until you've found the culprit.  You might want to save yourself some time by just downloading the newest versions of your various non-cc mods and test them out together, then go through the rest of the files afterwards.

It's also a good idea to run these tests in a clean game folder so that you're not messing with your existing saves.  If you pull your entire TS4 folder out of Documents and onto your desktop, a new folder will spawn the next time you launch the game.  Then you can move batches of mods and cc into this folder, test them, and put them aside when you're satisfied, all without loading any of your saves or clogging up your existing game folder with extraneous cache file data.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (535 Views)

All Replies

@dovviie  It's highly likely that one or more of your mods is incompatible with the latest patch, and you need to download a new version or get rid of the mod entirely.  Unfortunately, there's no way to know which mods are affected, other than to test them.  But you can try them out in batches—if one batch works, put it aside and try the next one; any batch that doesn't work gets split and retested until you've found the culprit.  You might want to save yourself some time by just downloading the newest versions of your various non-cc mods and test them out together, then go through the rest of the files afterwards.

It's also a good idea to run these tests in a clean game folder so that you're not messing with your existing saves.  If you pull your entire TS4 folder out of Documents and onto your desktop, a new folder will spawn the next time you launch the game.  Then you can move batches of mods and cc into this folder, test them, and put them aside when you're satisfied, all without loading any of your saves or clogging up your existing game folder with extraneous cache file data.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (536 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I followed your advice, took my TS4 folder out, and added my mods 10 at a time to the new mods folder, and after going through about 100 I found it was one single mod! It works fine now, thank you so much for your help Standard smile

Message 3 of 3 (528 Views)