Sims 4 not opening since December '17 patch? Please read here first

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Sims 4 not opening since December '17 patch? Please read here first

[ Edited ]

Since the December 2017 patch there has been a big increase in Mac users not being able to open their game. This could be related to a variety of issues so let's see if we can find a common issue or just help those who aren't sure about troubleshooting their game. If you're running a version of macOS prior to 10.11 El Capitan please consider upgrading to the latest version your Mac supports.

If you are having trouble launching your game please try the following steps in this order. Try to launch your game after each step to see what works for you:

1. Go into Documents > Electronic Arts and move the Sims 4 folder to your desktop.
  2. Turn off any antivirus you may be running, firewall, or 3rd party apps which 'clean up' files.
  3. Right click on the game in your Origin games library and select Repair Game.
  4. Run the Origin reset tool.

5. Go into Origin > Preferences > Origin in-game and disable Origin in-game.
  6. Go into Origin > Preferences > Notifications and turn off all notifications.
  7. Go into Origin > Preferences > Application > Start Up Options and disable Automatically start Origin and Origin Helper Service
  8. Create a new user account on your Mac and try to load the game in that account.

Try the super repair:

1. In your Applications folder right click on the Sims 4 app and select Show Package Contents.
  2. Navigate to Contents > Mac OS.
  3. Right click on The Sims 4 and select Move to Trash. Don't drag the file as it will only move an alias and leave the original in place. If there is another file in the folder, The Sims 4.par, leave it alone.
  4. Now open Origin, click on The Sims 4 in your Games Library and click on Download

If any of the steps above resolve your issue please take a minute to post here with what worked for you - it can help others!

If you're still having problems please provide more information on your Mac. You will need to provide all the information asked for in this thread - https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/461.... Just providing some information is not enough, ALL of that information asked for is important, even if you don't see the relevance, others will.

Thanks.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 3 of 16 (6,310 Views)

My sims 4 won't open (mac)

★★ Novice

Whenever I try to launch the Sims 4 game from Origin, it opens to the windowed screen, (which I have set) and it stays black for a little bit with the rainbow spinning circle for 30 seconds to a minute, then the game quits and my Origin screen opens again. I have a lot of mods installed inside of my mods folder. I use a MacBook Air to play and I haven't encountered any problems with my Sims 4 game before this. Does anyone have any advice on how I can fix this? I don't really have access to any fancy equipment or anything professional, and I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game but I lost all of my mods. I don't know what to do. 

Message 1 of 16 (6,359 Views)

Sims 4 WILL NOT open

★★★ Newbie

So I have tried everything I can think of to make my Sims game open. I've deleted and redownloaded Origin, uninstalled and reinstalled Sims, removed my mods, updated my computer, updated Sims, and repaired the game. Nothing has worked. I even tried putting my Sims 4 folder on my desktop as I saw on another post, and that didn't work either. Please help!!!

I have a MacBook Air, with OS High Sierra 10.13.3, if that helps any. 

Message 2 of 16 (6,377 Views)

Re: My sims 4 won't open (mac)

@marekita09 @AinsleyyK

I've moved your posts to this thread I've set up as the forum is being swamped with users reporting the same issue. Providing the information asked for and trying the steps suggested may help to work out the issue which so many are experiencing.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 4 of 16 (6,301 Views)

Re: Sims 4 not opening? Please read here first

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

So after much troubleshooting and following the steps. What worked for me was going to the Sims 4.app > Contents > MacOS > deleting that file. Restart Origin, redownload the game, and it should work after that. I have closed and reopened multiple times, have expansion packs installed and mods installed, game is still working normally.

*Note* this caused the game in the "root" Applications folder to break and create a new one in ~/Applications

I only have one user on my computer so I'm leaving it there but others may want to try/test and move it to the root location for all users to access.

Message 5 of 16 (6,180 Views)

@artoom23

Thanks! Do you mean these steps? https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/508...

AHQSigImage.png
Message 6 of 16 (6,176 Views)

★ Novice
Yes, those are the instructions, though the symptoms that post presents were not what I had. My game wouldn’t get past the maxis logo and would freeze.
Message 7 of 16 (6,167 Views)

@artoom23

That's fine, thanks for confirming Standard smile I can update the post.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 8 of 16 (6,149 Views)

I can't open the Sims 4 or the Origin app

★★★ Newbie

Help! I can't open Sims 4 nor can I open my Origin app. I tried a  so many things, I even deleted all of my cc even. Every time I would click on one of the apps it would load for a second and then it would stop and do nothing. I searched online if anybody else had this problem, but for some reason it just will not work for me. Can someone please help me. Frown

Message 9 of 16 (6,123 Views)

Re: I can't open the Sims 4 or the Origin app

@lilwinter16

Please read the opening post in this thread I have moved your post to and try all the suggestions.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 10 of 16 (6,101 Views)