Re: Sims 4 makes Mac hot

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 makes Mac hot

★★★ Newbie

Downloaded Sims 4 to my MacBook Pro 13in,2017, 10.14.5 Mojave today. I played for about 5 minutes and my Mac got real hot and the fan got loud. Why is this? 

Message 1 of 7 (1,397 Views)

Accepted Solution

@Katietreakle

Because the game requires a lot of power to run and 13" MacBook Pros have integrated Intel chips which aren't designed for the demands of gaming. You can improve it a bit though. Lower your in-game graphics in Game Options and always make sure your Mac is on a hard flat surface so air can circulate underneath it. Ideally you want to elevate it a little.

Apple have a great page here explaining integrated and dedicated/discrete GPUs - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204349 (scroll down to the bit tour shared memory near the bottom)..

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -

View in thread

Message 2 of 7 (1,347 Views)

All Replies

@Katietreakle

Because the game requires a lot of power to run and 13" MacBook Pros have integrated Intel chips which aren't designed for the demands of gaming. You can improve it a bit though. Lower your in-game graphics in Game Options and always make sure your Mac is on a hard flat surface so air can circulate underneath it. Ideally you want to elevate it a little.

Apple have a great page here explaining integrated and dedicated/discrete GPUs - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204349 (scroll down to the bit tour shared memory near the bottom)..

AHQSigImage.png
Message 2 of 7 (1,348 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@Bluebellflora Hey, I've been playing TSims on Mac Air for about 5 years. Sims 3 worked a bit worse than Sims 4 and the computer was very hot, but also the fan was loud. In the case of Sims 4, after installing the first 2 packs (cats and dogs + seasons), the fans worked to the max, while after next ones they practically turned off even though the computer still gets very warm during the game. The fan is fine, I was doing system diagnostics and there was no problem. Is it possible that the game somehow negatively affects the operation of the fans?

I will add that with several YouTube videos running in the background, the computer starts to ventilate quietly, and when playing Sims - not at all.

I'm a bit worried, I love playing TS4, but I don't want to kill my computer :<
Message 3 of 7 (1,232 Views)

@lenawadera

Not really a good idea to have videos playing in the background. Maybe your play style is such that you don't put a lot of strain on your Mac?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 4 of 7 (1,206 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@Bluebellflora I didn't mean that i'm playing videos in the background, I was just saying that with some videos playing, my mac is turning the fan on (even though my computer isn't even warm) but when I'm playing the sims, my computer is getting very warm (I would even say hot) and the fan is not working at all. I've tested them through apple diagnostic and everything seems to be OK, that's why I'm wondering if it's possible that the game itself somehow negatively affects the operation of the fan.

I'm sorry if it's hard to understand, my English isn't very well (as you can see...)
Message 5 of 7 (1,162 Views)

@lenawadera

The game doesn't have any control over your fan speed, the operating system does. You could reset the SMC and see if that helps - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201295

AHQSigImage.png
Message 6 of 7 (1,130 Views)

★ Apprentice

I also play with a Mac. I stick a deck of cards underneath the back of the laptop to elevate it so the fans can work better, it seems to help.

Message 7 of 7 (1,100 Views)