Re: Sims 4 Won't Update (Mac)

by seancehargeeves

Original Post

Sims 4 Won't Update (Mac)

★★★ Newbie

The game works just fine, opens and everything and runs smoothly. But the game refuses to update. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Origin, restarting my computer, disabling mods, removing all my mods, and nothing works. I've tried to update it but it always says that there's an error.

It's really frustrating since I just bought Seasons but the game doesn't want me to have it apparently.

Message 1 of 11 (12,847 Views)

Champion

Try this.

Move your entire Sims 4 to your Desktop and DO NOT DELETE IT! Also, you may want to at this time back up this same folder on an external hard drive or USB thumb drive. You should do this periodically to insure your saved games are safe.

Next start up Sims 4 remembering that none of your saved games, CC or Mods will be available. Also at this time disable Automatic Updates and Origin in game. See if it will let you update and download Seasons at this time. If it does, then create a new game and play for about an hour or so to see if there are any other issues you were unaware of.

If everything works ok, then try adding back in your saved games and other content.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 11 (12,793 Views)

@seancehargeeves

Are you running Yosemite? If not please try the following if Tremayne's advice didn't work:

1. In your Applications folder right click on the Sims 4 app and select Show Package Contents.
  2. Navigate to Contents > Mac OS.
  3. Right click on The Sims 4 and select Move to Trash. Don't drag the file as it will only move an alias and leave the original in place. If there is another file in the folder, The Sims 4.par, leave it alone.
  4. Now open Origin, click on The Sims 4 in your Games Library and click on Download.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 3 of 11 (12,784 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I tried both, neither worked. Now I just keep getting a "download failed" notif whenever I try to redownload the game.

Message 4 of 11 (12,775 Views)

@seancehargeeves

Which version of macOS are you running?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 5 of 11 (12,771 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@Bluebellflora

Yosemite 10.10.5

Message 6 of 11 (12,769 Views)

@seancehargeeves

I stated in my previous post to NOT do my suggestion if you are running Yosemite. There is currently a bug which EA are fixing in the next patch related to Origin not able to download games on machines running Yosemite. You need to upgrade your operating system to El Capitan or later and your problem will be fixed. For more information please read this thread we have running on the issue - https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/Empty-Game-Library-Server-Error/m-p/6938454#M13245

AHQSigImage.png
Message 7 of 11 (12,763 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@Bluebellflora I was almost certain I had updated my computer a few months ago, but I guess not Confused 

I'm updating to High Sierra now, so we'll see.

Message 8 of 11 (12,756 Views)

@seancehargeeves

Great, let us know how you get on Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 9 of 11 (12,738 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have the exact same issue, origin is also telling me that I last played the Sims 4 in February 2018 (which is definitely not true). I have a Mac X Yosemite Version 10.10.5

Message 10 of 11 (11,340 Views)