Sims 4 Mac keeps crashing on initial loading screen with update for how to fix

by DaisyDykes

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 Mac keeps crashing on initial loading screen with update for how to fix

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hello, 

I purchased the Sims 4 for my mac yesterday and was able to play for about 2-3 hours, stopping and starting a couple times and the game worked pretty fine. It was a little laggy but turning off the retina display fixed that. However since last night evreytime I try to open the sims 4 through origin client it gets to the plum bob load screen, freezes, stops playing any sound, and eventually a few seconds later just glitches out and returns me to my desktop and closes the sims 4 completely and asks me to send an error report to apple(which I've done, probably no help but whatev).I've tried restarting, didn't work. I have no mods or CC downloaded either, just the base game and holidays pack. My mac book is pretty new, its only 2 1/2 years old and has the latest OS. I'll list my specs below. I just want to play sims again I've been playing since 99 and EA is seriously letting me down between this and my simcity issues I'm still having 2 years later. Any help please!

MacBook Pro Retina, 13-ince, Late 2012

Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

Software OS X 10.9.5 (13F344)

UPDATE: ok so after doing a little reading I realized it had something to do with my integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics card and how I had customized my graphics settings in game. You can fix this issue by doing this: go into Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 and move your Options.ini file onto your desktop. Your game will recreate a new one.

Message 1 of 50 (37,374 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 4 Mac keeps crashing on initial loading screen with update for how to f

★★ Novice
Yes it's working fine now, just can't put the graphics quality above low.

View in thread

Message 4 of 50 (42,520 Views)

All Replies

Re: Sims 4 Mac keeps crashing on initial loading screen with update for how to f

Champion

Are you able to play now?

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 50 (37,150 Views)

★ Novice

yes i would really like to know if that fix worked for you

Message 3 of 50 (37,146 Views)

★★ Novice
Yes it's working fine now, just can't put the graphics quality above low.
Message 4 of 50 (42,521 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I did this and it still won't work Frown 

Message 5 of 50 (36,434 Views)

Champion

Did you try reinstalling Origin or repairing the game?

Here's how to uninstall/reinstall Origin.

- Make sure you are in Finder then click Go in the menu bar. Hold down Alt and the hidden Library folder will show up. Click on the Library folder.

- You now need to check in the following folders for any Origin files and folders:

Application Support (Origin)

Caches (Origin, com.ea.Origin)

Preferences (com.ea.Origin.plist)

Saved Application state (com.ea.Origin.savedState)

Open a Finder window and click on your Macintosh HD in the left hand section under Devices (if it's not there click on Finder in the menu bar then Preferences. Select the Sidebar tab and make sure Hard Disks is ticked under Devices), open Library, then delete the Origin folder.

After you've trashed them, empty the trash then restart your Mac. Then redownload and reinstall Origin.

Also try repairing your permissions. You can find this:

Open Disk Utility and Repair Permissions - Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility

Message 6 of 50 (36,377 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi, 

I have the same problem and I have realised it was because I too had increased the quality of the graphics. 

I am just confused as to what Documents you are talking about in the solution and how do I access them? 

Thanks.

Message 7 of 50 (35,992 Views)

Champion

If you click on your Hard Drive icon, you should see listed on the left hand side a folder that is called "Documents". That's the folder you want.

Message 8 of 50 (35,977 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have this problem Confusedmiley mad:  i too increased my graphics ... who knew it could cause so much trouble... i was wondering where do you exactly find the hard drive icon... sorry (new to my mac)

Message 9 of 50 (35,926 Views)

Champion

Mine is on the upper right hand corner of my screen. Usually called "Hard Drive". Mine however is named something other than that. It is a silver looking thing.

Message 10 of 50 (35,915 Views)