Sims 3 'Unknown Error' macbook air 2014

by alextaylor71

Original Post

Sims 3 'Unknown Error' macbook air 2014

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Hi ! 

I have downloaded the Sims 3 through Origin and I have the unknown error message. I then dowloaded the patched game but it still doesn't work. 

I've got a macbook air (2014) with High Sierra (version 10.13.6),1,4 GHz Intel Core i5

I don't have any extensions. 

Message 1 of 4 (479 Views)

Re: [CURRENT ISSUE]Sims 3 'Unknown Error' in El Capitan/Sierra/High Sierra

[ Edited ]

@alextaylor71  Could you provide just a bit more information?  Specifically, I need the model and device ID of your graphics card, as TS3 needs the ID to find and match the card.  Here's how to get the ID:

https://bluebellflora.com/2018/07/24/sims-3-mac-players-i-need-your-help/#Information

Whether your card is on the list or not, I can show you the text you need to add to the game's .sgr files.

You said you don't have any packs, but please confirm that Late Night and High-End Loft Stuff didn't download automatically.  They're included in the Starter Pack sold through Origin, so you might not have seen anything about them separately.  (There would be one more easy fix to apply if you had LN installed.)  Please also list any packs you'd like to install later.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 4 (485 Views)

★ Novice

Thank you ! 

This is the memory : 4 Go 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics : Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 Mo

And my device ID : 0x0a26

And I checked but I don't have the starter pack, just the sims 3 that I bought through Origin. 

I haven't downloaded it but I've got the physical version of the Katy Perry pack and I may want to download it later if the game works. 

Thanks for your help ! 

Message 3 of 4 (476 Views)

@alextaylor71  Alright, I split your comment into its own thread because the instructions for forcing graphics card recognition are specific to each card, and I don't want other people who find the original thread messing up their files by copying this work.

By the way, this process usually works, but not always.  There's a chance that you won't be able to play on this laptop—some of these models are particularly stubborn.  But I'll , and hopefully you'll

You'll need to edit both graphicscards.sgr and graphicsrules.sgr to force TS3 to recognize your card.  To access the files, right-click on the Sims 3 plumbob icon in Applications and select Show Package Contents.  From there, the path is:

Contents\Resources\transgaming\c_drive\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin

Right-click on graphicscards.sgr and select Copy, then right-click on your desktop and select Paste.  Do the same for graphicsrules.  The files on your desktop are your backup copies, in case you need to start over with the edits.  Then you can add the proper text to each file in Bin.  I'll send you the text in a PM in a minute.

And please let me know whether the text works or not.  Sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get it right.  Plus, with the 4 GB RAM you have, you may need to take additional steps.  But the .sgr file edits come first.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 4 (467 Views)