Re: Saying I've downloaded the Sims 3

by SimsFan1890

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Saying I've downloaded the Sims 3

★★★ Novice

Hi, so I am having this massive problem with my Sims 3 game. Basically, on Origin it says I can 'play' the Sims 3 even though I haven't downloaded it. This is preventing me from downloading the Sims. On other laptops it's worked fine. I have tried every method of troubleshooting under the sun, and tried finding any leftover Sims files to no avail. On the EA chat line, someone said that other simmers were having the same issue. Can someone please help me? Thank you. A screenshot of what's happening is attached.

Message 1 of 11 (385 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★ Novice

So - an update, I've figured out how to fix this issue! (Thanks so much for everyone's help, especially bluebellflora's handy blog). Basically, you have to create a new administrator account. Then, download the sims 3 on that as per usual. Once it gives you the option to install do so, except move the game into your MAIN administrator account. Log out of your new administrator account and log in to your main one, and the sims should be on there. Repeat for expansion packs if necessary. You can then delete the extra administrator account if you want to, 

View in thread

Message 10 of 11 (278 Views)

All Replies

@SimsFan1890 moved to The Sims 3 forum.

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 2 of 11 (371 Views)

★★★ Novice

@Phantomlover1717 Can you please link the forum so I can look at it? Thanks.

Message 3 of 11 (354 Views)

[ Edited ]
That would be: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/bd-p/the-sims-3

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 4 of 11 (347 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@SimsFan1890 If your computer is a pc - did you clean the registry with a program like ccleaner (there is a free version). TS3 does not like to be reinstalled. Although you may delete files there are registry entries that also need to be cleaned. Something is telling Origin that TS3 still has some parts left. After you clean the registry  - open Origin - click games upper left - click reload game library.

Message 5 of 11 (337 Views)

★★★ Novice

@roberta591 I have a Macbook Air.

Message 6 of 11 (334 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@SimsFan1890 moving this post to the sims mac forum.

Message 7 of 11 (328 Views)

@SimsFan1890

It only shows Play if there are still residual files of a previously installed game still on your Mac. Please make sure to look for ALL hidden files and folders and delete them. Then use the Origin reset tool, empty the trash, restart your Mac then try to download the game.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 8 of 11 (299 Views)

★★★ Novice

@Bluebellflora I tried that with no success, however I tried another method on your website that suggested creating another administration account. It worked! It's a shame I can't have everything on one account though. Oh well. Thanks!

Message 9 of 11 (283 Views)

★★★ Novice

So - an update, I've figured out how to fix this issue! (Thanks so much for everyone's help, especially bluebellflora's handy blog). Basically, you have to create a new administrator account. Then, download the sims 3 on that as per usual. Once it gives you the option to install do so, except move the game into your MAIN administrator account. Log out of your new administrator account and log in to your main one, and the sims should be on there. Repeat for expansion packs if necessary. You can then delete the extra administrator account if you want to, 

Message 10 of 11 (279 Views)