SIMS 3 Crashes when traveling

by sparilis

Original Post

Accepted Solution

SIMS 3 Crashes when traveling

★ Guide

First, here are my specs:

• MacBook Pro, 15-inch, Mid 2012, 2.3 GHz Intell Core i7, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA GForce GT 650M 512 mt & Intel HD Graphics 4000 1636mMB
  • Running High Sierra 10.13.4 (upgraded, not fresh install)
  • Which game - Sims 3
  • Which Expansion/Game/Stuff Packs you have installed
    • Base Game
    • Ambitions
    • Generations
    • Into the Future
    • Island Paradise
    • Late Night
    • Pets
    • Seasons
    • Supernatural
    • University Life
    • World Adventures
    • (I may have Stuff packs, but I forget which ones)
  • NRaas Mods
    • DebugEnabler
    • ErrorTrap
    • MasterController
    • MasterControllerCheats
    • Overwatch
    • PocketProtectorTablet
    • Porter
    • RelationshipPanel
    • Saver
    • Tempest
    • Traffic
    • Traveler

I have been playing the Fox Family from Appaloosa Plains for quite some time. I started when there were 2 parents, a toddler, and a baby on the way. Now the kids are married. Over the course of their lives, they have been to each county often enough that they have vacation homes in both France and China. Once the kids got home from college, with their significant others, I decided to move them all to Sunset Valley. I had no trouble with the move. Once there, I tried to send two of them to France. It crashed. I tried sending them to China, it crashed. I tried sending all of them abroad. It crashed. 

Here are the steps that I took to try to narrow down the cause. 

1. I followed all the troubleshooting steps on this board regarding clearing cache files. It didn't help. 

2. I went back to the oldest save of the Fox Family that I had. Launched it and tried to send them abroad. It crashed. 

3. I started a new game in Sunset Valley. I chose the Alto family to play and sent them to China. It worked. So this tells me that problem has to do with the Fox Family, but I don't know what.

4. I went back into the Fox family game, but switched active families from the Edit Town screen. I switched to the Bunch family. Tried to send them abroad and it crashed. So it's not just the Fox Family. It's anything in the Fox Family world. 

5. Thinking maybe the family was too big, I tried moving 2 sims out and into their own house using the "Move" button. Then I sent them abroad and it crashed. 

6. I read somewhere that I should remove the .nhd files (the ones that are specific to the countries). I tried that, it didn't help. So I put them back. 

7. I tried splitting the household through the Edit Town screen. I was able to split 2 Sims out of the main family but when I tried to load them into their new house, it crashed. When this happened, I realized it wasn't just about traveling since this step had nothing to do with traveling. 

8. Then I read that problems with splitting households can happen when there are too many things in the inventory. So I made a basement and put everything from the Family inventory into the basement.  One Sim is a gardener and winemaker and had a lot of fruit in his inventory. I put it in all in the fridge. I took everyone's books out their inventories and put them on bookshelves. I sold all the sketches that had been piling up in one of the inventories. All in all, I sold some of the inventory but relocated most of the items to the lot. 

When I was done, I saved, quit, deleted all the cache files again, restarted and tried to go abroad. It crashed. 

9. Finally, I removed all the NRaas mods and tried again. It didn't crash, but it did freeze. 

I don't know what else to do. Of the 6 sims in questions, 1 has a Visa level 3 for all the countries. The others have level zero. The two that I am trying to send away both have zero-level visas. I tried sending them with the level 3 sim. That doesn't work either. 

What else can I try? 

Thank you,

Susan

Here is the error:

date: 2018-05-30
time: 16.23.04
type: ACCESS_VIOLATION writing address 0x00000000
address: 0x004ec05f "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3W.exe":0x0001:0x000eb05f

Also..

[Instruction data]
004ebfdf => DasmX86Dll.dll not found.

and...

"Memory pointer appears to point to invalid memory."

Thanks,

Susan

Message 1 of 12 (8,839 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: SIMS 3 Crashes when traveling

[ Edited ]

@sparilis  Most crash logs won't tell you much, if anything, about what is causing the crash.  There are some exceptions, but the logs are generally junk.

What I suspect is that you're running up against the RAM limit for the game.  Unlike its Windows counterpart, TS3 for mac can only use 2 GB RAM at a time, a byproduct of the method that was used to make the game compatible with mac OS.  (Google TS3 cider if you're curious.)  Frankly, I'm surprised you can play at all with that many EPs installed, much less with a multi-generation family.  In particular, Pets and Seasons are by far the most demanding EPs, followed by IP and ITF, and most people find that running them on a mac is nearly impossible for any length of time.  On top of that, the longer a game goes on, the more RAM it requires to load and maintain.  So while your town may be corrupt in some way, it's just as likely that it has simply accumulated too much data to stay under the RAM limit.

Travel transitions require extra RAM, as you've seen, as do Edit Town and CAS sessions.  (Hence the other crashes.)  Removing the .nhd file of a travel destination only resets that world, as if your sims had never been there or met anyone.  (Don't do this if you ever want to go back to the world or invite foreign sims you've already met for a visit.)  We're not supposed to talk much about mods here, but you seem to have that under control already.  (Just make sure they're all up to date.)  A reset of the entire town could help, but perhaps only a bit.

So, what can you do?  The RAM limit is always going to be a problem, but there are a few steps that can mitigate its effects.  First, make sure your computer is completely offline while you're playing.  Even if you don't sign in, the game will still deposit files in your FeaturedItems folder, which takes resources.  Also, you can clean that folder out; the stuff inside is useless.  If you must be online, at least turn off the in-game shopping experience.  Lower graphics settings use less RAM as well.  Once you've loaded a town, purge RAM by terminal command, and keep doing so throughout gameplay (see link below).  Monitor your RAM usage in the Activity Monitor, and when you see it closing in on 2 GB, save, quit (without saving), and relaunch.

https://bluebellflora.com/resetting-ram-during-gameplay/

You can bypass the launcher when you start up as well, since it takes extra resources to load (even more if you're online):

https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-how-to-bypass-the-launcher-on-a-mac/

Keep your families small and their personal inventories close to empty.  Also try to avoid overloading your lots with thousands of items; the game needs more resources to keep track of everything.  Keep your saved patterns and styles to a minimum, and move screenshots or videos out of your TS3 folder before you play again.  In fact, keep your game folder (in Documents) as empty as possible.  Turn memories off entirely, and delete all existing memories, other than maybe a few per sim (memories are a huge resource hog).  If you use cheats like buydebug, turn them off whenever you're done with them.  Clear the five cache files after every play session.  Always save separately, then quit without saving.  The processes together take up more resources, and if the save fails, the game will quit without warning you.

Whenever you want to do something that takes extra RAM, like travelling, make sure to do so as soon as you load a save.  Even if you're purging RAM frequently, usage will build up during gameplay as your computer loads more and more data.  If you're planning to use CAS or Edit Town, the same rules apply.  Build only in a new game, then save your work to the library so that all you have to do in your existing game is place the lot.  During a travel transition, you can also turn your graphics down to the lowest settings until your sims arrive safely.  When they do, it's probably best to quit and relaunch before proceeding with the vacation.

I'm probably forgetting some stuff, but that still seems like a lot.  This is the part where I should mention that I recently threw up my hands and just Bootcamped my macbook.  It's been great.  I don't know if it's feasible or something you'd want to do, but with all those EPs in play, it might be your best option.  Additionally, if speculation is true, the next mac OS will not support 32-bit apps at all, which will mean no more TS3 for mac past High Sierra.  Just something to keep in mind.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 12 (9,088 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

@sparilis  Most crash logs won't tell you much, if anything, about what is causing the crash.  There are some exceptions, but the logs are generally junk.

What I suspect is that you're running up against the RAM limit for the game.  Unlike its Windows counterpart, TS3 for mac can only use 2 GB RAM at a time, a byproduct of the method that was used to make the game compatible with mac OS.  (Google TS3 cider if you're curious.)  Frankly, I'm surprised you can play at all with that many EPs installed, much less with a multi-generation family.  In particular, Pets and Seasons are by far the most demanding EPs, followed by IP and ITF, and most people find that running them on a mac is nearly impossible for any length of time.  On top of that, the longer a game goes on, the more RAM it requires to load and maintain.  So while your town may be corrupt in some way, it's just as likely that it has simply accumulated too much data to stay under the RAM limit.

Travel transitions require extra RAM, as you've seen, as do Edit Town and CAS sessions.  (Hence the other crashes.)  Removing the .nhd file of a travel destination only resets that world, as if your sims had never been there or met anyone.  (Don't do this if you ever want to go back to the world or invite foreign sims you've already met for a visit.)  We're not supposed to talk much about mods here, but you seem to have that under control already.  (Just make sure they're all up to date.)  A reset of the entire town could help, but perhaps only a bit.

So, what can you do?  The RAM limit is always going to be a problem, but there are a few steps that can mitigate its effects.  First, make sure your computer is completely offline while you're playing.  Even if you don't sign in, the game will still deposit files in your FeaturedItems folder, which takes resources.  Also, you can clean that folder out; the stuff inside is useless.  If you must be online, at least turn off the in-game shopping experience.  Lower graphics settings use less RAM as well.  Once you've loaded a town, purge RAM by terminal command, and keep doing so throughout gameplay (see link below).  Monitor your RAM usage in the Activity Monitor, and when you see it closing in on 2 GB, save, quit (without saving), and relaunch.

https://bluebellflora.com/resetting-ram-during-gameplay/

You can bypass the launcher when you start up as well, since it takes extra resources to load (even more if you're online):

https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-how-to-bypass-the-launcher-on-a-mac/

Keep your families small and their personal inventories close to empty.  Also try to avoid overloading your lots with thousands of items; the game needs more resources to keep track of everything.  Keep your saved patterns and styles to a minimum, and move screenshots or videos out of your TS3 folder before you play again.  In fact, keep your game folder (in Documents) as empty as possible.  Turn memories off entirely, and delete all existing memories, other than maybe a few per sim (memories are a huge resource hog).  If you use cheats like buydebug, turn them off whenever you're done with them.  Clear the five cache files after every play session.  Always save separately, then quit without saving.  The processes together take up more resources, and if the save fails, the game will quit without warning you.

Whenever you want to do something that takes extra RAM, like travelling, make sure to do so as soon as you load a save.  Even if you're purging RAM frequently, usage will build up during gameplay as your computer loads more and more data.  If you're planning to use CAS or Edit Town, the same rules apply.  Build only in a new game, then save your work to the library so that all you have to do in your existing game is place the lot.  During a travel transition, you can also turn your graphics down to the lowest settings until your sims arrive safely.  When they do, it's probably best to quit and relaunch before proceeding with the vacation.

I'm probably forgetting some stuff, but that still seems like a lot.  This is the part where I should mention that I recently threw up my hands and just Bootcamped my macbook.  It's been great.  I don't know if it's feasible or something you'd want to do, but with all those EPs in play, it might be your best option.  Additionally, if speculation is true, the next mac OS will not support 32-bit apps at all, which will mean no more TS3 for mac past High Sierra.  Just something to keep in mind.

Message 2 of 12 (9,089 Views)

★ Guide
Thanks. This is very helpful. I only know how to delete memories in-game. Is there a file that I can delete before launching that will get rid of them?
Message 3 of 12 (8,765 Views)

★ Guide
I used to have this Mac Bootcamped but when my hard drive was replaced, I lost it. I'll have to find some time to do it again. I guess if I have time for all this troubleshooting, I can find time to install Bootcamp. :-)
Message 4 of 12 (8,762 Views)

★ Guide
You mentioned that a quick reset of the town might help a bit. How do you do that?
Message 5 of 12 (8,754 Views)

[ Edited ]

@sparilis  I highly recommend Bootcamping your computer if you can make it work; the improvement is well worth the effort.  There are a few things you'd need to address, like capping fps (frames-per-second) rates (although I'm not sure if your graphics card could really throw such high rates anyway, given its age), and if you wind up on Windows 10, avoiding the Creator's Update or mitigating its effects.  To see your current fps, which should never go above 60—the likely refresh rate of your monitor—pull up the cheats console (cmd-shift-c) and enter "fps on" without quotes, and a number will appear in the upper right corner of the screen.  To turn it off, "fps off."

Nvidia control panel:  http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14991412#Comment_14991412

Nvidia Inspector:  http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15639712/#Comment_15639712

Creator's Update:  http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15902876/#Comment_15902876

If you're wondering which files you need to transfer over to preserve your existing games, here's a list from an expert.  Note that you'll probably have to redownload your store content, as it doesn't usually transfer between installs.  Edit: this list doesn't include userpresets.package, which stores any custom patterns or recolors you've saved while restyling an object or in CAS.  So if you have anything in that file worth saving, you'll need to transfer that over as well.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16322438/#Comment_16322438

For the rest, check your inbox.

One last note: some people move their sim families from one town to another periodically, as a way to leave behind a RAM-heavy town and start anew somewhere else.  I should have mentioned this before, but as I hate to do it, it's not usually on my mind.  Using the phone to move is not a great idea, as it will preserve more data from the old town, potentially including corruption.  The best modless way is to save your family to the bin (if you want to keep their house, save the lot separately) and start a new game.

Message 6 of 12 (8,728 Views)

★ Guide

Okay, I've spent the day trying all the different ways that you suggested to reduce the amount of RAM my game is taking up. I changed the settings on the game so it would use less. I got rid of most of their stuff. I reset the lot. I even sold the house and all their belongings and moved them to an empty lot. Nothing is working. I can't get them to travel and I can't seem to split the household using Edit Town. If you have any other ideas, please share.

Thank you,

Sue

Message 7 of 12 (8,691 Views)

[ Edited ]

@sparilis  I did forget to mention turning off the hidden object game during startup, but that's not going to make a huge difference.  There's a (mod-related) way to limit stray pets, which might help a lot if baby animals are getting stuck around town (always a possibiility in a world not optimized for pets), but I've never done it, so I don't know the settings.  The only other thing I can think of is binning the family and placing them in a fresh town in a new game.  You could at least try it, quit the new save, and reboot to see where your RAM usage is right after loading.  But with all those EPs, you're going to be tight on RAM no matter what you do.

Oh, and splitting the family might also work in a new town, once you've cut back your RAM usage.  But you could also just have some of them move out by phone.

Message 8 of 12 (8,684 Views)

★ Guide
Thanks. I'll try that tomorrow.
Message 9 of 12 (8,634 Views)

★ Guide
That worked. First I evicted the family and saved them to the bin. Then I saved a copy of the house to the bin. Then I started a new game in a new town and put the family in a new house. Then I sent them to China and it worked. They no longer own their vacation houses, for some reason, but they still have all their visa points, so they can just get another one. Thanks for all your help!
Message 10 of 12 (8,614 Views)