Recommendations for external hard drive for sims 4

by evahno1

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Recommendations for external hard drive for sims 4

★★★ Novice

Hey, so I'm planning to buy an external hard drive to play sims 4 on. I had to uninstall the game last year because I ran out of space and I needed the space for school work, but I really miss sims 4 and I'm desperate to play it again. There are no documents I can delete or move from my mac (it wouldn't even be enough since the documents are only like 11 GB). I've done my research, but I'm still unsure what hard drive I should buy. I don't wanna pay too much, but I'm not too cheap either. I know it should be SSD. I have a MacBook Air.

So far I'm considering a Seagate Backup Plus External Hard Drive 1 TB or a LaCie 1 TB Porsche Design Portable Hard Drive.

Recommendations please?

Message 1 of 9 (30,306 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Recommendations for external hard drive for sims 4

Champion

@evahno1  I have a Seagate and they are very good hard drives and last for a long time. I got mine at Sam's Club (if you're in the US) and it was very reasonably priced. Not sure if Costco carried them or not. 

Please remember if you install Sims 4 on the external drive, you need to make space for the Sims 4 folder (found Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims 4) as this is where the game always looks for your saved games. Saved games cannot be stored on the external drive in order to play. You can make a backup copy sure. Also, the game may lag a little due to the fact that it has to get the data from the external drive while playing. Also, limit your CC as that goes in the Sims 4 folder as well and if you can't afford to delete or store your other data on a USB thumb drive, you should not download a lot of it or mods. Just as an example, my Sims 4 folder is about 1.1GB big and I use very little CC (probably about 10 to 15 pieces at most) and no mods. I also own all the content for Sims 4. 

Hope this helps.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 9 (30,284 Views)

All Replies

Champion

@evahno1  I have a Seagate and they are very good hard drives and last for a long time. I got mine at Sam's Club (if you're in the US) and it was very reasonably priced. Not sure if Costco carried them or not. 

Please remember if you install Sims 4 on the external drive, you need to make space for the Sims 4 folder (found Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims 4) as this is where the game always looks for your saved games. Saved games cannot be stored on the external drive in order to play. You can make a backup copy sure. Also, the game may lag a little due to the fact that it has to get the data from the external drive while playing. Also, limit your CC as that goes in the Sims 4 folder as well and if you can't afford to delete or store your other data on a USB thumb drive, you should not download a lot of it or mods. Just as an example, my Sims 4 folder is about 1.1GB big and I use very little CC (probably about 10 to 15 pieces at most) and no mods. I also own all the content for Sims 4. 

Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 9 (30,285 Views)

★★★ Novice
I have enough space for the Electronic Arts folder, so that's no problem, and I use only a few mods and cc, but I think I'm gonna drop most of the ones I have anyway. And I'm used to lag - I've never actually played sims on a good gaming pc, so it's been laggy for as long as I can remember and it can't possibly get as bad as it was on the stationary I had some time ago (I could barely move the camera in the game due to lag) Thank you for your answer. I'll consider the Seagate Standard smile
Message 3 of 9 (30,281 Views)

Champion

Most welcome! Standard smile

Message 4 of 9 (30,270 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi, what do you mean by saved games cannot be stored on the external drive in order to play. You can make a backup copy? I’ve been trying to do research about getting an external hard drive and putting my sims game on there to free up space on my Mac. Could you explain further ?

Message 5 of 9 (13,354 Views)

@PrincessVanVan 

You can change the game library location in Origin to store the game on an external drive. You will need these instructions https://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin-Mac-Client-Technical/Solution-Can-t-find-External-Hard-Drive-in-Ori...

To store the Sims 4 folder which contains your saves, mods etc. on an external drive you have to create a symlink - https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/-Creating-a-symlink-in-macOS-to-store-the-Sims-4-fold...

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 6 of 9 (13,344 Views)

★★ Novice
@Bluebellflora Thank you so much, I will be getting an external in the mail soon and this will be so helpful, I’ll reply back again to let you know how it went. Thanks again!
Message 7 of 9 (13,328 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi! Would you happen to have the link for window? 

Message 8 of 9 (10,957 Views)

@DatBihRah

The PC tech forum for Windows users is here https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/bd-p/The-Sims-4 you're better off posting there for Windows help.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 9 of 9 (10,934 Views)