Re: April update game glitches

by KattSimms

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[POSSIBLE BUG] UI glitches and greyed out menus after April patch

[ Edited ]

Since the 16 April patch some Mac users have reported glitchy and pixelated menus, notification walls, pack logos, greyed out menus and general UI weirdness. This is normally as a result of an outdated Mod, usually a UI Mod, but not all users reporting the issue use CC/Mods so it is possible that this may be a new Mac bug. Affected users have posted the following pictures:

UI glitch.jpg(thanks to @KattSimms @alexkostova1 @Ninjaaaahh for uploading the pictures which I've cropped for this post)

All the users reporting the issue so far have integrated Intel graphics.

Some users have reported that doing one of the following fixed the issue for them:

• Running the Origin reset tool
  • Repairing the game
  • Enabling/Disabling Origin in-game for both Origin and the game
  • Resetting the Sims 4 folder
  • Toggling between fullscreen and windowed mode
  • Do not skip through the intro screens (EA, Maxis and Sims 4 logos) when launching, let the game play through to the Play screen

If you are also experiencing this problem, and can discount CC/Mods as the culprit by removing your Mods folder and trashing the localthumbnailcache.package file, please post your Mac specs (instructions on how and what to provide here - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/4612... ).

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 46 of 188 (51,573 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Missing Textures/Images

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Hi everyone, I have been having this issue too, however, I might have found when it is triggered, so I'm leaving it here just in case it wasn't mentioned.

I have made several tests, it appears that the glitch occurs only when I skip the EA, MAXIS ans Sims 4 logos by clicking on the screen, the interface will be glitched with weird grey textures. If I launch the game and let the cutscenes pass without touching anything, I will always get my game's interface looking fine. I don't know why it's happening there, but it works for me 100% of the time, I hope it helps!

(Marked as the solution for visibility as it seems to be the best fix we have at the moment - BluebellFlora)

View in thread

Message 144 of 188 (50,703 Views)

All Replies

April update game glitches

★★★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.51.75.1220
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Expansions: Get famous, Seasons, Cats and Dogs, City living, Get together, Get to work Game packs: strangerville, jungle adventure, Parenthood, vampires, dine out, spa day, outdoor retreat Stuff packs: toddler stuff, bowling night stuff, vintage glamour stuff, romantic garden stuff, movie hangout stuff, spooky stuff.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? By trying to save or load anything and having the loading animation being a broken graphic box, or looking at the saves and having the delete button missing and covered by a square. Also in CAS there are boxes over every slider.
What happens when the bug occurs? The loading and saving screen shows a broken blurry graphic box also it happens in the gallery when items load and all the boxes for the cheat console and notifications and greyed out with a broken texture on them. CAS sliders are also broken with squares of appears missing textures in replace of the usual circles.
What do you expect to see? The normal gameplay with the colours in the notifications and cheat bar, the sliders having the normal circles, the saving buffer animation back to normal.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. 1.51.75.1220 april 16th 2019

All was said above

Message 1 of 188 (51,814 Views)

★★★★ Guide
I'm not seeing this issue, but did you try repairing your game?
Message 2 of 188 (51,761 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

Hi @KattSimms 

Could you give some specs for your mac ? Maybe it's an issue on certain macs with the fixes they made. I'm moving this over to mac.

It does sound a bit extreme so please as you had mods in, try resetting your user files as described in the factory reset described in this post: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/FAQ-Troubleshooting-Steps-amp-Known-Issues/m-p/3621199

You won't loose anything. Just make sure to not delete any files  and make a backup.

After renaming, repair your game by right clicking on the game in Origin.

Try on a new game with nothing added back first (start new game). If it works, put back your save game and try again. If it still works, you can start putting stuff back.

• Options.ini (or just re-set all your settings manually)
  • Tray Folder
  • Screenshots/Videos/Custom music
  • Rest of the save games (leave out slot_00000001.save which is the autosave)
  • Custom content like clothing, hair, skins, make up ....
  • Mods (one by one, making sure they all still work)

The rest does not need putting back, cause they are mostly cache files that recreate or log files that are not needed for the game.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 3 of 188 (51,705 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Here is my specs: 

macOS Mojave 

version 10.14.4

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)

Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Startup Disk Macintosh HD

Graphics Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB

I tried last night after i sent the report and it was back to normal, but i checked again just there and it is back to glitching 

I also just tried the resetting my game back to the original game and repairing it and it is still glitching 

Message 4 of 188 (51,679 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Yes i tried twice and it still doesn't fix the problem

Message 5 of 188 (51,680 Views)

@KattSimms

Please trash the localthumbnailcache file in the Sims 4 folder, move your Mods folder to the desktop then launch the game and see how it is.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 6 of 188 (51,656 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Tried and it still is glitching 

I have added another screenshot of the saving icon to help 

Message 7 of 188 (51,653 Views)

Missing UI Icons and Menu backdrops

★★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.51.75.1220
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Get Famous, Seasons, Cats n Dogs, City Living, Get to Work, Spa Day, Outdoor Retreat, Perfect Patio, Vintage Glamour
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Open the game and look at the UI.
What happens when the bug occurs? Game menu background doesn't display. New item icon doesn't display correctly. Text boxes don't display correctly. Create a sim sliders don't display correctly
What do you expect to see? I expect to see the icons that were there prior to patching the game.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. I updated to the latest patch (April 16th) and the bug occurred.

This bug occurs regardless of if I have mods installed or not. 

I have tried reinstalling the game fresh. Clearing my Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims 4 folder.

I have also tried repairing my game files.

Everything still works functionally just the icons are missing.

Message 8 of 188 (51,638 Views)

@KattSimms

Thanks. Your screenshots are typical of an outdated mod, normally a UI mod. Could you please create a new user account on your Mac and see if you have the same problem in that account when you launch the game?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 9 of 188 (51,647 Views)