Re: Origin helper crash pt.2 (please help)

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Origin won't open helper crash

★ Novice

For a while now, I haven't been able to get on sims 4 because origin keeps crashing.

I press the origin button, it hops on the toolbar, then disappears, then reappears, hops a little longer then crashes.

I have skimmed through every file possible, finding every single origin file, I have deleted and re-downloaded for over an hour now, watched tutorials, searched threads and forums, installed an app cleaner, installed an older version, changed preferences, made myself an administrator and it is still happening.

The only way I can play it is on my dad's account; which unfortunately I don't know the password for and has none of my mods or saved worlds.

I REALLY NEED A SOLUTION I AM AT MY WITS END TRYING TO FIND ONE

Info:

Mac Ver: 10.13.1

974.24 GB of data available

It all started when I had to install a helper tool several months back, but needed an administrators password. That kept showing up every time I opened origin, but now it won't even open origin.

Please ask if you need any more info on what the problem could be. I do have crash reports if anyone can understand them

Message 1 of 7 (906 Views)

Origin helper crash pt.2 (please help)

★ Novice

Nobody answered my previous thread, so i have done some more looking.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Label</key>
<string>com.ea.origin.ESHelper</string>
<key>Program</key>
<string>/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.ea.origin.ESHelper</string>
<key>ProgramArguments</key>
<array>
<string>/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.ea.origin.ESHelper</string>
</array>
<key>Sockets</key>
<dict>
<key>com.ea.origin.ESHelper.sock</key>
<dict>
<key>SockFamily</key>
<string>Unix</string>
<key>SockPathMode</key>
<integer>438</integer>
<key>SockPathName</key>
<string>/var/run/com.ea.origin.eshelper.sock</string>
</dict>
</dict>
<key>WaitForDebugger</key>
<false/>
</dict>
</plist>

this is the es helper file from launch daemons

i don't know a lot about coding but could the problem be that one of the EShelper thingies wasn't capitalised??

<string>/var/run/com.ea.origin.eshelper.sock</string>

I am trying a beta mode from another thread to see if that helps

please check my last thread for more info thanks

Message 2 of 7 (893 Views)

★ Novice
edit: still no results. Btw I can play on other accounts perfectly fine but this just keeps crashing.
Message 3 of 7 (883 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Henry77777777  I don't know anything about that helper tool, so other than uninstalling it entirely, I wouldn't know what to do.  (Maybe a thorough uninstall and reinstalll of this tool would be useful?)  I take it you tried to run Origin as an admin as well?  You could also check to see if your antivirus software is getting in the way.  Also, third-party cleaners can sometimes delete essential files along with the trash, so they're not always to be trusted.

What do you mean that you can play on other accounts?  If other computers will load your Origin library, I suppose it might help to reset your password there.

You were probably very thorough in uninstalling Origin, but I'll link this list of all the relevant files that need to be deleted in case you want to check your work.  You might also want to uninstall and reinstall again after you've taken other steps to try to fix the problem.  One other note, sometimes when you try to download a program for the second time, if the previous initial download (like a zip or otherwise compressed file) is still in your downloads folder, the computer will just use that instead.  So make sure the Origin.dmg file is gone from your downloads folder.

https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-uninstall-origin-on-a-mac/

Another useful step is to run the Origin reset tool for macs.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/how-to-reset-origin-on-mac/

Creating a new user (admin) could help, as the new user's settings would revert to default.  You'd be able to transfer your existing TS4 folder over using iCloud or an external storage device so you wouldn't lose your saves.

You can also try clean-booting your mac by restarting and holding down the shift key until you see the login prompt.  There are a couple of other steps you could try in the following thread:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/818182/origin-crashes-as-soon-as-launches

Beyond that, I don't know what to tell you.  But someone who knows more about Origin than I do will probably want your computer's specs, beyond the fact that you're running High Sierra, as well as a link to the helper tool that might be causing issues.

gather mac specs:  https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/475...

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 7 (859 Views)

★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Thanks for the help, i have done most of these but to no avail. I think it's something wrong with my mac user settings because it does work on other users (lol thats what i meant by account). I will try doing the ones I haven't done but at this point i'm too tired to even try. I'll just have to use the other user account until I figure this out. Thanks again! I'm still open to any suggestions.

Message 5 of 7 (839 Views)

@Henry77777777  Beyond the links I included in my previous post, I'm not sure what to tell you.  (This is way past my area of expertise.)  But in the forums thread I linked, Bluebellflora, who is most definitely an expert, listed a bunch of files (in two posts) that can be trashed.  Did this help you?  And what about the repair permissions step?  (the last post of the thread) 

What happens if you try to launch Origin while your computer is offline?  Since you've logged in before (a requirement, to authenticate ownership), normally you'd be able to launch the game without an internet connection.  (Also, Origin can be run in offline mode going forward, but you'd obviously have to get it up and running to select this option.)

Again, anyone else showing up to help is going to want to see your specs, so please post those when you get a chance.

@Bluebellflora  Are you around?  Any ideas?

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 6 of 7 (830 Views)

@Henry77777777

Have you run the Origin reset tool?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 7 of 7 (764 Views)