New MacBook Pro?

by krabby_pattiess

Original Post

Accepted Solution

New MacBook Pro?

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Hello. I'm not new to Mac, however I have a brand new Mac Pro, the 15" display. I installed the sims 3 and am currently installing all my expansions. Every time I reopen my launcher, it says "There is a new update." So I click update, and it starts downloading the newest expansion... I've been looking for an answer, but I'm a little short on time. I didn't install the expansion packs in order by release. 

Message 1 of 13 (774 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: New MacBook Pro?

[ Edited ]

@krabby_pattiess  If you'd still like to troubleshoot this issue, it may not be all that difficult.  You can solve the update issue by downloading and running the Super Patch (digital download version), as the launcher doesn't handle patching very well.

https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-manual-super-patch-for-mac-1-67/

I'm guessing you've been seeing the "unknown error" message, which is typical in the most recent versions of mac OS. There are a couple of relatively easy fixes, if you're interested.  Bluebellflora has written a very helpful guide to installing TS3 on a mac that explains how to proceed:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/698...

But if you've already uninstalled the game or any packs, please do make sure to do a clean uninstall before proceeding.  If you have a bunch of packs installed already and don't want to have to go through a complete uninstall, you can patch your game and then start at step three.  With a new macbook pro, step 2 (the .sgr file edits) may not apply to you, but if it does, we can help with that as well.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 8 of 13 (838 Views)

All Replies

★★ Apprentice

Nevermind the game won't even open at all. 

Message 2 of 13 (765 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Are all of the expansion packs installed? Once you have them all installed it’ll normally load the most recent expansion as your loading screen. When I first starting installing mine it took quite a long time as it installs each pack individually and you have to input your product key for each one. 

For that I had to pull up the item information for each pack and then type in the key code manually in the install verification window. It was kinda a pain in the rear but worth it.

Edit: as far as the update goes.. I like to let origin do it’s whole update and then reboot my MacBook.. I like the fresh start after updates because everything runs smoother.

Message 3 of 13 (762 Views)

★★ Apprentice

It happens when I click on the launcher. I did download the expansion packs I had and put the codes in. I think I'll stick to playing sims on my old pc.

Message 4 of 13 (756 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Are you launching it through origin or from the game itself?

Message 5 of 13 (752 Views)

★★ Apprentice

The game it's self. Also I have High Sierra if that helps. 

Message 6 of 13 (749 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Ok so I just launched my game from the game and not origin.. got the update option and hit cancel.. it’s loading now.. I don’t know what updates there would be for it anyway. Wanna try hitting cancel and see if it works?

if the option isn’t there anymore then try uninstalling and reinstalling and then make sure to hit cancel on the update.

Message 7 of 13 (739 Views)

[ Edited ]

@krabby_pattiess  If you'd still like to troubleshoot this issue, it may not be all that difficult.  You can solve the update issue by downloading and running the Super Patch (digital download version), as the launcher doesn't handle patching very well.

https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-manual-super-patch-for-mac-1-67/

I'm guessing you've been seeing the "unknown error" message, which is typical in the most recent versions of mac OS. There are a couple of relatively easy fixes, if you're interested.  Bluebellflora has written a very helpful guide to installing TS3 on a mac that explains how to proceed:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/698...

But if you've already uninstalled the game or any packs, please do make sure to do a clean uninstall before proceeding.  If you have a bunch of packs installed already and don't want to have to go through a complete uninstall, you can patch your game and then start at step three.  With a new macbook pro, step 2 (the .sgr file edits) may not apply to you, but if it does, we can help with that as well.

Message 8 of 13 (839 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Thank you guys. I think instead of using origin, I'm using my old school dvds to install. 

Er.. cds. 

Message 9 of 13 (624 Views)

[ Edited ]

@krabby_pattiess @tracilynnie  I just wanted to add that for mac users, the last update for TS3 was released in January 2014.  Origin does not provide a fully updated game for download, nor can it update an existing install.  Updates must be done via the Super Patch, which will bring the game's patch level to 1.67, the highest patch available to mac users.

Additionally, Origin is not involved in launching or running TS3; the game can be launched through the Applications folder or via a user-created shortcut.  Once the installation process is complete, Origin itself becomes unnecessary and can even be safely uninstalled without affecting TS3 gameplay.

Message 10 of 13 (668 Views)