My Origin isn't allowing me to play Sims 4

by SnxwPine

Original Post

My Origin isn't allowing me to play Sims 4

★★★ Newbie

Hi! I've had the Sims 4 game for a very long time and suddenly Origin isn't allowing me to press play for the game since the new Seasons patch from June 19, 2018. I removed my custom content, i've restarted origin, logged in and out multiple times, uninstalled and reinstalled Origin, uninstalled and reinstalled Sims 4, i've even tried Repair. I did find a way to click the Sims 4 game itself, but it leads me to a message: "To play, you must first activate your EA account." So I did press: "Activate game" But it kept going back to the message over and over. The second option it gave me was to log out and back in, I did do that, but still didn't work. Could you please tell me whats happening?

Message 1 of 9 (859 Views)

Re: My Origin isn't allowing me to play Sims 4

@SnxwPine  Are you on a mac or PC?  And do you have Origin Access or a standalone copy of TS4?

The best troubleshooting steps are somewhat different for each operating system.  But you can start by removing your mods folder from your TS4 folder in Documents (if you haven't done so already) and trying again.  You may have mods that haven't been updated for the new patch, in which case you'll need to replace them with updated versions.

If removing your mods folder doesn't work, you can drag your entire TS4 folder out of Documents and onto your desktop.  If you do successfully launch the game, it will generate a clean folder with no content.  Try playing in that folder for a bit, and then you can move your saves and other content (perhaps minus the mods) into it from your old folder.

If the clean folder test doesn't fix your issue, you can try running the Origin reset tool (mac) or clearing Origin's cache (PC).

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/how-to-reset-origin-on-mac/

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Don-t-know-how-to-clear-origin-cache-View-this/td-p/54997...

It might be necessary to uninstall and reinstall Origin itself; this would not affect your installed games.  Keep in mind that there are a few extra files that need to be removed.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/manually-uninstalling-origin/

If you're still having trouble, you might have to resort to uninstalling and reinstalling TS4 entirely, but hopefully that won't be necessary.  If you're still having trouble, you can post your computer's specs here for some more specific advice.

gather mac specs:  https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/475...

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 9 (843 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Sorry to say this, but none of the options available seemed to work (I have a Mac by the way)
Message 3 of 9 (837 Views)

@SnxwPine

When you reset Origin did the exact same error message come up or something different?

Try this:

1. In your Applications folder right click on the Sims 4 app and select Show Package Contents.
  2. Navigate to Contents > Mac OS.
  3. Right click on The Sims 4 and select Move to Trash. Don't drag the file as it will only move an alias and leave the original in place. If there is another file in the folder, The Sims 4.par, leave it alone.
  4. Now open Origin, click on The Sims 4 in your Games Library and click on Download.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 4 of 9 (807 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Yes, when I reset origin the same message did come up. It seems that it's not letting me download it now--I have plenty of storage, I have only used 12%. I'm not sure what is going on now. It's saying that I have a windows version of the game? It telling me to buy it again

Message 5 of 9 (802 Views)

★★★ Newbie
The game worked perfectly fine for about a year, keep in mind
Message 6 of 9 (800 Views)

★★★ Newbie
If I were to buy it again- will my expansion packs still be there?
Message 7 of 9 (794 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA app Team

Hi @SnxwPine,

Welcome to the community!

Please, don't buy the game again because of this, let's try to find out why it's giving you that error message.

Could you answer some questions to try to understand what could be happening?
1. Have you played the game on a Windows computer recently?
2. Are you subscribed to Origin Access? Did you subscribe recently?
3. Do you remember if you upgraded your The Sims 4 game to a digital deluxe edition with Origin Access recently?

Thanks!
-Mai

PS. You can edit your own posts using the ... menu on the top right corner of your messages Wink

Message 8 of 9 (768 Views)

@SnxwPine

Did you try the steps in my previous post? And no need to buy it again if you have already purchased it through Origin, we'll try to get it worked out for you Standard smile

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 9 of 9 (766 Views)