Mac Sims 3 EPs say they're installed when they aren't

by CPUGenuis

Original Post

Re: Mac Sims 3 EPs say they're installed when they aren't

★★★★★ Novice

I have the base game, World Adventures, Ambitions, and now Generations.

So, Base, EP01, EP02, and EP04.

And may I ask why you don't have Showtime? I played a lot during the first few expansions but I stopped playing for a few years. I'm wondering which packs are awesome and which aren't worthwhile.

And just to be clear I had my main administrator Mac account ("CPUGenuis") and I created a secondary administrator Mac account ("Sims"). You can have multiple users concurrently logged in on Mac. So, I would log in as CPUGenuis and do my usual stuff, switch user and log into "Sims" and open Origin. I would start the downloads and switch back to CPUGenuis and do whatever while the downloads were going. I would then switch back to "Sims" to install them. Since the Applications folder is shared between users the core game and expansions work just fine. The individual saves as well as caches and some cookies are stored in the local user's documents folder and Library folder. So, I can play from either account but they would have different saves.

The cookies are different in each account. The "Sims" account only has the base game com.trans* cookies. The CPUGenuis account has the base game com.trans* as well as the ep04 cookie.

Also, terminal shows all 4 product keys for CPUGenuis but only the base game key for "Sims".

I'll have to check with text edit in a few hours.

Message 21 of 27 (590 Views)

@CPUGenuis

I did have Showtime installed but could never get it to run, no matter what I tried it just crashed at the Launcher every time. I will probably try again at some point but not much in it really appeals to me so it's always been at the bottom of the To Do list Standard smile

I understand how user accounts work. What I'm interested in is why your main account will not download and install the EPs if you completely cleared out Origin and all residual files from that user Library but the new account will. This indicates an issue in the CPUGenuis user Library as the Sims user Library is behaving properly (all Sims and Origin files/folders are brand new).

Thanks so much for your continued feedback, it's really helpful!

The cookie is interesting too, especially as you seem to have a base game one and your most recent EP one, yet they are different in each Library folder. I would have thought that the cookie would just be to keep you logged into the Launcher. I tested it last night by opening the Launcher and the cookie didn't update. I logged out and deleted the cookie. When I logged back in the cookie appeared.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 22 of 27 (583 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@Bluebellflora

Ah. That makes sense. I'll put that at the bottom of my buy list. Lol.

Sorry if I was over-explaining user accounts. I figured you knew, but you never know where people will get lost!

So, here's the most recent update. I deleted the cookies while I had everything installed that I mentioned in the previous post. From my CPUGenuis account I used the Sims 3 uninstaller and renamed my EA documents folder to save my saves. After everything was uninstalled using the official uninstaller I opened up Origin and everything behaved as expected! It said that those EPs were uninstalled and ready for downloading from the master profile!

I'm not sure if it was deleting the cookies or some weird product registration error. It was probably a combination of both held by the information in the cookie. This makes sense to me since the Sims 3 download page in the Origin app acts and responds like it was coded with HTML. I'm guessing the EP04 cookie went stale (lol) when I deleted the game without using the installer initially. It then added a base game cookie but kept reading the newer EP cookie.

At least, that is my best guess. It is still a very interesting bug. Either way, everything is now running as expected!

And it is my pleasure to keep providing feedback. I know that the game is no longer officially updated, so the best way to help the game community going is to help people fix bugs before they start. I was honestly elated when I saw that there was somebody on the forums running precise and concise guides for fixing problems. The help that you've provided has been much appreciated.

Message 23 of 27 (573 Views)

@CPUGenuis

So pleased I can help - or try to!

The cookie thing.... it does make logical sense that it's the issue, you're so right. It contains product codes which may be coming from registered games over at the old Sims 3 website (not Origin, you don't need Origin to play the game, only to download). However, Origin is looking at this cookie, seeing the product codes and assuming they are installed already? I'm just hypothesising but something is broken in there somewhere and I think the cookie/Origin/Launcher combo is maybe to blame.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 24 of 27 (561 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@Bluebellflora

That is, in a nutshell, what I'm thinking. Is there any way to send this off to EA so they can see if it is anything that they can fix?

Message 25 of 27 (555 Views)

EA Staff

@CPUGenuis Bluebellflora has been keeping me informed on this thread and I do agree something strange is going on here.

I don't know if this was caused by the cookie or something else, but I'll do my best to dig around a bit and see if we can shed some light on this Standard smile

If I find out anything more, I shall update this thread.

Regards,

Kristi

Message 26 of 27 (545 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@EA_Kristi

Awesome! Thank you!

Message 27 of 27 (523 Views)