Re: Mac Sims 3 EPs say they're installed when they aren't

by CPUGenuis

Original Post

★★★★★ Novice

It turns out that despite my hardest efforts to delete every library file for Origin/Transgaming something must have made it's way through. EA had me create a separate user, sign into origin, and start the download from there. I figure I'll be able to download and install everything from the other profile and then play from my normal profile.

Have you had that happen before, @Bluebellflora ?

Message 11 of 27 (924 Views)

[ Edited ]

@CPUGenuis

Only when I missed a file behind. It can be time consuming but if you get rid of every single file, empty the Trash and restart your Mac it works again. You did look in both Libraries, the Macintosh HD one and your user one?

Let me know if it works - good luck!

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 12 of 27 (923 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@Bluebellflora

That is strange. I do remember in some of the folders that folders/files were jumping around as they were being changed by the OS. I must have missed one because of that. 

Either way, the secondary profile thing seems to be working. I'll let you know if I'm able to play the game from my original profile after it finishes.

Message 13 of 27 (915 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@Bluebellflora

I found com.trans* files in the User/Library/Cookies folder. Do you think that could have been it?

I don't see the /Cookies folder mentioned on your site at https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

Message 14 of 27 (910 Views)

@CPUGenuis

Very interesting, yes, I have that too for EP11 (Into The Future). I wonder if that's new, it was never there originally. I just opened it using TextEdit and it shows all my product codes. What EP number does yours say? Absolutely delete it.

Thank you so much for flagging it, I'll add it to the guide and credit you Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 15 of 27 (900 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@Bluebellflora

That is strange. I noticed that there were some ep## files and folders that weren't from packs that I've purchased. Maybe they are from the updates as they try to unify updated DLL's/EXE's between the franchise? That is the only reason I can think of.

And you're welcome! Thumbs up

Message 16 of 27 (884 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Novice

@Bluebellflora

Just to report in, creating a second profile to install the game and EPs did the trick. Everything is working as expected in the original main profile! Even if it doesn't permanently fix the problem, it is a workaround that definitely works.

Message 17 of 27 (2,032 Views)

@CPUGenuis

Oh that's great news but a pain that you have to log in and out of user accounts just to play! Is the cookie file the same?

Thanks for the update Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 18 of 27 (868 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@Bluebellflora

Well, the only time I have to log out of my standard user account is to download and install new EPs. I can play, update, and add new content from my standard user account without issue. 

And there are actually two cookie files now. 

"com.transgaming.thesims3.binarycookies" & 

"com.transgaming.thesims3ep04.binarycookies"

I assume there may be more cookie files for more expansions.

Message 19 of 27 (864 Views)

@CPUGenuis

Bizarre. I have all the EPs installed, apart from Showtime, and the only cookie that shows up for me is the Into The Future one. The file name is com.transgaming.thesims3ep11.binarycookies

What EPs do you have installed?

So just to clarify, you have to log out of your Mac's normal user account (an administrator account) and log into a new administrator account you set up just to install EPs. But you can play in both accounts? Are the cookies the same in both accounts?

Can you see all your game codes if you open the cookie with TextEdit?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 20 of 27 (859 Views)