How to create a shortcut icon for a game on a mac?

by uhlbesorry2

Original Post

Accepted Solution

How to create a shortcut icon for a game on a mac?

★ Novice

I never got a shortcut icon for sims 4 and I would really like one. Is there anyway to create one? I have a mac and run on the latest release.

Message 1 of 13 (8,955 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: How to create a shortcut icon for a game on a mac?

★ Novice

I checked. It was not there until I hit play in Origin. So I just moved that to the dock. I wonder why it only shows up then? IDK but thank you guys for your help!

View in thread

Message 7 of 13 (9,309 Views)

All Replies

Champion

Go to your Application Folder. Find the Sims 4 game icon and drag it to your dock. It will automatically launch from there once you click on it. 

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 13 (8,941 Views)

Open your Applications folder, right click on The Sims 4 icon and select Make Alias. A shortcut icon to the game will now appear below the game icon. You can drag this onto your desktop.

or

If you would like to add it to your Dock, open your Applications folder then click and drag the game icon down into the Dock. A space should now appear where your cursor is between two other app icons. Just let go and the icon will drop into place. There will still be an icon in your Applications folder. If the icon has disappeared form your Applications folder you didn't quite drag it into the Dock properly, move it back into the Applications folder and try again.

or

There will be a shortcut to your Applications folder in your Dock on the right hand side. Click on it and all your icons pop up, you'll see the game icon in there.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 3 of 13 (8,940 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I guess It would have helped to mention that I have been playing through the origin app. and that is the only thing I have an icon for in my applications folder. Sorry I forgot to say that. I have been really out of it these past couple of days. I'd like to blame it on all the snow we have gotten. But I know its just that I am an airhead haha

Message 4 of 13 (8,932 Views)

There must be an icon in your Applications folder, that's where it default installs to. With Origin open go to Origin > Preferences > Advanced.  Where does it say your game will be installed to?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 5 of 13 (8,926 Views)

Champion

Very odd. Are you sure you checked in your Applications folder? They should be listed alphabetically and any of The Sims games (2, 3 or 4) are listed under "T" for The. It's very odd there isn't one there as those are the actual game "guts" that run the game on any computer.

Message 6 of 13 (8,920 Views)

★ Novice

I checked. It was not there until I hit play in Origin. So I just moved that to the dock. I wonder why it only shows up then? IDK but thank you guys for your help!

Message 7 of 13 (9,310 Views)

Champion

Most welcome Confusedmileyvery-happy:

Message 8 of 13 (8,905 Views)

★★ Novice

Hello Standard smile 

I had the same problem like you, with the famous icon of the sims 4 on my mac ( 10.11.6 El Capitan ) it's not very easy when you look at it like this but i wish it can help you

First your gonna go to you Finder and tap the name of your HDD ( Mac HDD Or something ) after you click on find on this mac to search your hard drive, when it show your hard drive click on it, You'll see Application, Library, System and User. Click on Users and search your user ( exemple: kimberlygodard ) and click on it ( Do not click on Shared or Guest ). After this, Click on Applications folder and Tada! You'll see the famous and gorgeous icon The Sims 4 :P Drag it to your dock and Voila ! :P have fun guys

( Be carreful, cause my version of mac os it's El capitan, im not sure it will be the same on Yosemite, Maverick, Sierra and High Sierra )

Message 9 of 13 (7,482 Views)

Champion

It's the same for most recent version of the Mac OS. 

Message 10 of 13 (7,362 Views)