Re: Game won't launch

by Tremayne4260

Original Post

Game won't launch

★★★ Novice

When I first updated my Sims on MAC in the most recent update I had the issue where I had to double-click everything. So I restarted my game and repaired the game in Origin. After that, when I tried to launch the game in flickers as if to launch the game and then The Sims 4 application shuts down and I have to force quit it. Sometimes a black screen will pop up instead of the flicker but then I just have to shut down my computer because I can't even wave over the dashboard to navigate out of the app. I have restarted my computer, set up a backup file, restarted Origin, contacted EA help 3 times to no avail. Please help!

Message 1 of 10 (714 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

Have you had a look at Bluebellflora's Mac Help post?

Sims 4 - Mac Help, Guides and Troubleshooting
https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/td-p/46...

It has some great troubleshooting tips for Mac users. If none of that helps, please post back.

I have requested this thread be moved to the AHQ Sims Mac Forum for better help from fellow Mac users.

Message 2 of 10 (703 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yes I tried that and it didn't help. So far Customer Support has been stumped too.

Message 3 of 10 (691 Views)

Champion

@ssydmarie, do you use Mods/CC in your game? One of those could be causing the issues you are describing and needs to be removed for your game to work again. Here are some steps to try to solve your issues.

1) Turn off Automatic Updates in Origin. This is to allow you to control when to update the game as will be explained later on and to still play your game.

2) Go to the websites, blogs, etc where you get your Mods/CC from. Make sure they have been updated to work with the latest patch/EA content. Quite often when patches or new content comes out the programmers at EA/Maxis either fix or change the way something may have worked in the past. Modders have to update their content to work with the new data. Turning off Automatic Updates allows you to check these sites and still play your game until everything is ok again.

3) To insure that your game is still working without Mods/CC present, move the entire Sims 4 to your Desktop. DO NOT DELETE IT! This is where your saved games are and you don't want to lose them. Next, start up the game remembering that no CC/Mods or your saved games will be present. If the game starts up fine, then start a new game and play for about an hour or so to insure that nothing else strange is occurring in your game.

4) Since you are on a Mac, there is no program that allows you to check CC/Mods to see if they are "bad". You'll have to do this manually and what I do is move small batches of CC into my game and test to see if it works. You can narrow it down from there fairly easily. 

If this does not work for you, please provide us with more information about your computer which is found under the black Apple Logo is the upper left hand corner. Do not include your serial number. Please respond back to let us know if this worked for you.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 4 of 10 (664 Views)

★★★ Novice

I don't have CC or Mods and I completed all those steps and still nothing has changed Frown Thank you for trying to help!

Message 5 of 10 (644 Views)

[ Edited ]

@ssydmarie  I'm not sure which steps you already tried from Bluebellflora's help thread.  But if you haven't already, please try the TS4 Super Repair as described in the following post:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/508...

It's also worth running the Origin reset tool for macs before you redownload TS4.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/how-to-reset-origin-on-mac/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 6 of 10 (632 Views)

★★★ Novice

I did follow that previously as well. I just deleted all my Sims 4 files off my computer (not *super* heartbroken, but I'd rather just play at this point). But did not reset Origin before reinstalling. I will uninstall, reset Origin, AND THEN re-download the Sims 4 again and pray that that works Standard smile Thank you!

Message 7 of 10 (626 Views)

★★★ Novice

That did not work Frown I then proceeded to reinstall my OS to no avail. EA Customer Support basically told me they gave up and to contact Apple- Apple says its an issue with the game. Soooo frustrating! ;(

Message 8 of 10 (596 Views)

Champion

Is the double clicking problem the only problem you are having?

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 9 of 10 (583 Views)

★★★ Novice
I don't even know if the double-clicking is a problem anymore, I can't even access the game! Keeps shutting down when I try to start it.
Message 10 of 10 (427 Views)