Game keeps crashing

by farahAl95

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Game keeps crashing

★★★★ Novice

Hello, so im trying to play sims but my game keeps crashing in a span of 3 minutes after i start playing it. My laptop isnt old, it's this year's version, and everything is up to date. I've tried repairing the game multiple times but it doesnt change anything. Im just upset because im in the middle of my own legacy challenge and i dont want to lose all the progress ive made. 

Also my CC and mods dont work in game, even though my mods show up in the opening screen so i know theyre there. my CC is basically non existent but i've given up on that already.  

Message 1 of 5 (1,933 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Game keeps crashing

★★★★ Novice

I ended up fixing it by reinstalling origin, so now it doesnt crash but it's pretty buggy and my mods still wont work lol. ive never had this much difficulty playing a game i spent so much money on lol 

View in thread

Message 3 of 5 (1,971 Views)

All Replies

@farahAl95  Have you tried dragging your entire TS4 folder out of Documents and onto your desktop?  The game will be forced to spawn a new one the next time you launch it.  This clean folder will have no content, including your existing legacy game, but it's a good test to see if you can play a new game in the new folder for a while.  Any corrupt files you might have, including bad cc, will be left behind in the old folder and won't affect your new game.  If you don't get any crashes in an hour or so, you can start moving content from your old folder into your new one.  When your game starts crashing again, you know that whatever you moved over is the cause, or at least a cause, of your issues.

I know you've been having trouble getting cc to show up in your game.  This clean folder may be more cooperative on that front as well.  If you have a couple of cc items you trust, you can place them in the new folder and see if appear in-game.  (It might be best to redownload them, just to make sure your old copies of the files aren't corrupted.)  It would also be good to know how the clean folder is functioning overall.  If it works, then you can add your legacy save back in and try to play again.  When a new game in a clean folder works but an older save is still crashing, it's usually a sign that the save has been corrupted past the point of recovery.  In these cases, the best thing to do is often to give it up as a lost cause and revert to a prior save.

Another thing to try is disabling Origin in-game.  The option should be under game properties.

Here is more information on saves, including how to restore a backup:

https://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/save-games/

If you still can't make your game work in the clean folder, then it might be time for a more drastic approach, like uninstalling and reinstalling TS4 entirely.  But it would also be helpful to know the specs of your computer, along with your operating system:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/475...

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 5 (1,921 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I ended up fixing it by reinstalling origin, so now it doesnt crash but it's pretty buggy and my mods still wont work lol. ive never had this much difficulty playing a game i spent so much money on lol 

Message 3 of 5 (1,972 Views)

[ Edited ]

@farahAl95  Have you tried running the game with just one or two mods that you know work properly and are up-to-date?  If you have a mod that's not functioning properly, it can take the entire mods folder down with it.  And it might be useful to test things with a clean folder, just so you're only dealing with a couple of potential issues at a time.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 5 (1,885 Views)

@farahAl95

It can be frustrating but it's important to remember that adding 3rd party content into your game is done at your own risk. You are reliant on the creator making sure their Mods are compatible with the current patch level of the game, something which unfortunately not all creators do Frown

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 5 of 5 (1,816 Views)