Re: Download items from the store

by tunafishcats

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Download items from the store

★★★★ Novice

hello, so i have been trying to download something from the store, but everytime i do it asks me to open it with my WA pack, which.. won't open.. because // mac problems // so i was wondering if there was a way i could open it through other packs?? i've got high end loft and WA packs // launcher not working but everything else is.

yea i have tried un/reinstalling the packs too and have copied/pasted the folders so they're working just fine with the other launchers, just their own won't launch // i keep getting errors. so i gave up on that but i want to buy and download some store items but yea everytime i try to, this shows

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2018-06-01 at 1.57.40 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-01 at 1.57.44 AM.png

so yea i was wondering if there was a way i could change the download app to open it with, thanks. 

Message 1 of 5 (766 Views)

Accepted Solution

@tunafishcats  Well, one easy way to avoid the default app for download is to use a different browser.  For macs, firefox is the only one recommended.

There should be a way to change it in chrome, but after a quick dive into settings, I didn't see it.  (Maybe that's because I don't have any presets since I almost never use it.)  Regardless, lots of people have had trouble downloading store stuff through chrome no matter what their settings.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 4 of 5 (809 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

@tunafishcats  First of all, how did you uninstall and reinstall?  The uninstaller that comes with the game is unreliable and often misses some files, which can then interfere with the subesquent install.  Here is a list of all the files that you'd have needed to remove:

https://bluebellflora.com/manually-uninstalling-an-expansion-or-stuff-pack-in-the-sims-3-for-mac/

When you say that WA won't open, do you mean you can't play with it at all?  Or that you can't use it to launch the game?  To launch, you're supposed to use the newest pack by release date, which for you would be HELS.  If I open TS3 using, for example, the Ambitions alias, the icon on my dock switches to Master Suite.  But if WA isn't showing up in-game, that's definitely something you need to address with a manual uninstall.

I was going to describe exactly how I downloaded stuff from the store, but at the moment it's not cooperating with me either.  So maybe I need to clear my caches, or maybe there's some malfunction on EA's end, but it might be best to check back later.

Update:  The store works fine for Windows—I Bootcamped my macbook to play TS3 better, and I had no trouble downloading anything.  But I haven't been able to get it to work on the mac side.  I've asked Bluebellflora for advice, but in the meantime I don't know what to tell you.  If it's any consolation, you can still buy items with your SimPoints, and they'll show up in your purchase history whether you succeed in downloading them or not.  So you could buy now and download later, if that's what you want to do.  Anything in your purchase history will be available as long as you're still logged in to the same account.

Second update:  Try using the TS3 base game icon when prompted to choose an application.  It should be a plumbob without any color around it.  That just worked for me, which is weird because it didn't use to be the case.

A couple of other troubleshooting notes:  Keep in mind that Firefox is the most reliable browser for downloading, but make sure it's not blocking popups from the store site.  After you buy (or press "download" on an item's site if it's free), that item might not download immediately, but you can find it in your purchase history in "my account."  Also, even if you're only downloading one item, check its box and then press the "download" button above the list of items in your purchase history.  It seems to work better.  Don't try to download more than four items at a time, and worlds should be downloaded separately.  (This also applies to the install process.)  When the launcher shows up, it might need a minute to start downloading; just leave it alone.

If you want some screenshots of what you're supposed to see, here's a helpful guide:

https://bluebellflora.com/installing-sims-3-store-content-on-a-mac/

Message 2 of 5 (747 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice
thanks, i didn’t use the uninstaller that came with it, it never worked for me anyway. even when i un/reinstalled everything, the first thing i did was check if the uninstaller was working this time and it never showed my games so i gave up on it. and i’m sure i deleted every files cause i downloaded an actual uninstaller for mac and i double checked everything it deleted.

the problem is my google chrome/safari (i tried both) automatically wants to open WA instead of my recent one (seasons) and WA just won’t open (it crashes // see pictures on OP) and i don’t even know why it decides to open WA ??? out of all the other things that work??

WA however works just fine, it shows on my sims/seasons launcher and i can play it. it just won’t launch itself. same with high end loft (i think those two are the first stuff pack/expansion) that came out so maybe it’s faulty for that reason. im able to click on my other games and they launch fine (as seasons of course) so there’s really no problems with anything else.

i have also set my default as TS3 (my regular plumbob) so when i open downloaded CC’s, they work as well. however, yea when i download from the store, it just doesn’t work because the file doesn’t even download on my mac, it just opens it and therefore install via my launcher (i’ve downloaded from the store before and it used to work during my first download as it used to open SSN) // (see OP to see the picture of the “error message that i get)

it always force quits on me instead of an actual error occurred that i use to encounter before i fixed it.

so really, im just wondering if there was a way i could change the web-opener and not the usual WA.

(tldr; i have set my sims default into the TS3 green plumbob so CC’s and other files that are sims related should and always have opened with my default, dunno why the store download won’t..)
Message 3 of 5 (727 Views)

@tunafishcats  Well, one easy way to avoid the default app for download is to use a different browser.  For macs, firefox is the only one recommended.

There should be a way to change it in chrome, but after a quick dive into settings, I didn't see it.  (Maybe that's because I don't have any presets since I almost never use it.)  Regardless, lots of people have had trouble downloading store stuff through chrome no matter what their settings.

Message 4 of 5 (810 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

alrighty i'll go get firefox rn, ill be able to change the launcher from there?

edit: oh my gosh!! it works!!!!! thank you lots!!! now i can get myself some good ol' new items from the store Standard smile

Message 5 of 5 (713 Views)