[CURRENT ISSUE]Sims 3 'Unknown Error' in El Capitan and later OS versions

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Unknown Error after Expansion Pack Install

★★ Novice

HELP! I bought the Sims 3 a few years ago in addition to several expansion packs. I've recently re-installed the base game on my computer, as well as the Generations, World Adventures, and University Life expansion packs. When I open the game, it runs smoothly and I can play no problem. HOWEVER, whenever I try to install the Late Night or Ambitions expansion packs I have problems. I get through the installation okay but when I try to open the game again, I get "an unknown error occurred." When I get this, I go to check the folder where they were supposed to install (with the base game and other expansion packs), and neither of them show up there. I search through my entire computer and it says the files are nowhere to be found. I can uninstall those two expansion packs using the uninstaller, though. Once I uninstall those expansion packs, I can run the game again just fine. I've already double and triple checked to make sure I'm installing them in the right folder, I've tried doing a clean uninstall several times, and I still can't find the issue. Can someone please help???

I have a MAC and game version 1.67.2.024017

Message 21 of 532 (6,782 Views)

Re: Unknown Error after Expansion Pack Install

[ Edited ]
EA app Team

Hi @emilynp13,

Thanks for the detailed explanation of your issue. I have moved and merged your post to this thread because you are having this same issue. Please, read the first post in this thread for more information about what's happening.

Thanks,

Mai

Message 22 of 532 (6,773 Views)

"An Unknown Error Has Occurred" Comes up every time I try to start the game.

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Ok, I am extremely frustrated, I have been trying to get this fixed for over 3 weeks. I have contacted EA multiple times, one time being on the phone for almost 2 hours. I have uninstalled, removing every file left behind, and reinstalled the game many times, reset Origin, and even made a new user account on my MacBook and tried playing it on there. Nothing is working, you guys are my last resort, please help!

Every time I try to open The Sims 3, "an unknown error has occurred" pops up. I have the base game, Ambitions, Seasons, Supernatural, Pets and Generations expansion packs installed. I have attached a picture of my MacBook specs. I had been able to play the game on this computer with no problems previously, but I had to uninstall it to make room for other things at the time.

Thank you for any help in advance!

Message 23 of 532 (6,720 Views)

Sims 3 on Mac 'unknown error occurred' HELP?!

★ Novice

Hello,

I've been playing The Sims 3 on my Mac perfectly fine, then I added some additional expansion and stuff packs (I installed them onto Origin using codes from discs), it worked fine the first time I played, no disc needed, all loaded fine and let me play. Then I tried to play again the following day, and got the 'Unknown error had occurred' message. 

I tried closing/restarting everything, but still the same. Yesterday I uninstalled all the games, and then deleted all files (from instructions on another post), I then re-installed everything (in release order), but still the exact same message.

I then uninstalled/removed it all again, and installed just the base game, this worked and let me play. I then installed World Adventures (still working), then High End Loft (and still working), but then when I try to add anything else (next release or further ahead), it displays the same error.

I had about 10 packs installed initially when it was working fine, so I don't think it can be the packs not working. If I go back to just the packs I had when it was letting me play, I still have the same problem.

I've spent 2 days looking through posts and trying everything! Do I just need to give up & accept I've wasted my money buying all the additional packs?!

Any help/advice would be reallllllly appreciated!!!!

Thanks Standard smile

Message 24 of 532 (6,710 Views)

Sims 3 expansion packs (High end loft and Late night) play issue

★★★ Newbie

So I keep getting an unknown error issue whenever I try to open Sims 3 either from my applications folder or from Origins and I have installed High end loft and Late night expansion packs.  I run a brand new MacBook OS Sierra.  I uninstalled, reinstalled with no success. I would like to play the games I purchased and would appreciate any help.  Thank you.

Message 25 of 532 (6,716 Views)

HELP

★★★ Newbie

I am having a problem with the game loading. I have downloaded the game and uninstalled the game 3 times now and I get the same "unexpected error message" everytime when trying to launch. I have read multiple post about what to do to fix it and have tried everything people have said to try and the game will still not work. I read another post saying I need to register the game online under an account that I create but when i try that it now says that my code is invalid because I've used the code to try to download to my computer. I have tried to live chat with someone now for 45 minutes and no response. What do I need to do to make this work? I'm so frustrated. 

Message 26 of 532 (6,678 Views)

Re: HELP

Hero (Retired)

@KMcRaeRN Is your computer a pc or mac? What is the model of your computer? Has the game ever been installed before on that computer? If your computer is a pc please post your computer's dxdiag - how to post dxdiag link - post dxdiag  Thank you

Message 27 of 532 (6,658 Views)

Re: HELP

★★★ Newbie

I have a MAC Book Air, the game has never been put on this computer before. 

Message 28 of 532 (6,647 Views)

Re: Sims 3 expansion packs (High end loft and Late night) play issue

EA app Team

Hi @mekaielarey,

Please, take a look to this thread, where our hero Bluebellllora gives information about your issue. You can try the steps in there to try to fix it.

Good luck,

Mai

Message 29 of 532 (6,639 Views)

Unknown Error Occurred after re-installation of specific EP + SP

★★ Novice

"Unknown Error Occurred" message pops up whenever I try to open my game... After uninstalling the sims 3 along with all of my expansion/stuff packs and worlds to get rid of all the glitches, I began to reinstall everything (in the order of the release date) and after each install I would open the game to make sure everything works properly, which it did, until I tried installing Ambitions, I noticed that the Ambitions game would not show up in the Sims 3 folder of my applications like every other EP did after installation and then when I tried opening the game an "Unknown Error Occurred" message pops up, so I uninstalled it and when I launched the game it worked, installed it again and that same message popped up. I skipped over Ambitions and continued downloading the rest of my EP successfully and then the same thing happened to me after I tried installing Outdoor living stuff. I have no clue why this is happening and it is driving me crazy. Please help!!

Message 30 of 532 (6,683 Views)