Re: Sims 3 won't open (iMAC) shows Unknown Error Occurred

by RodgersAmyG

Original Post

Sims 3 won't open (iMAC) shows Unknown Error Occurred

★★★ Newbie

I am beyond livid at the fact i cannot call EA to speak to one of their employees for help, as I've read through multiple question forums already. To put this simply, I have all the recent updates to my iMAC and have just spent 2 days (yes, days) downloading my sims 3 game and expansion packs onto origin. I previously played these games on another computer, an HP, and they worked just fine with installation through the disks themselves. (I tried beforehand to do this on my iMAC which did not work and lead to me doing digital download through origin). Every single time i attempt to open the sims 3 either through Origin itself, the disks, or the shortcut on my desktop it shows "Unkown Error Occurred" It doesn't even get me to the loading screen like it did once through the disks before showing an error of the disc supposedly not being in the tray. What on earth do I do? 

Message 211 of 532 (590 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Have you tried applying the Unknown Error Fix? Also, I read that post-2013 Macs don't have the same graphics/intel hardware as older ones, so it can give people problems when trying to play Sims. Macs in general aren't gaming computers and usually don't have the capacity to run the Sims game and a whole bunch of Expansion Packs too.

Message 212 of 532 (573 Views)

[ Edited ]

@MAC4571286

I've moved your post to this specific thread for your issue. Please apply the fixes referred to in the opening post and the solution in the second post. You will need to do two - getting Late Night, Fast Lane, Ambitions and Outdoor Living to show up in your game folder and then applying the fix posted by Corey_0414.

If it still isn't working, and you have a Mac with incompatible graphics as mentioned by @TsarminaShadow then you will need to apply this fix - https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-The-Sims-3-Issues-playing-on-newer-post-2013-Ma...

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 213 of 532 (569 Views)

Re: [CURRENT ISSUE]'Unknown Error' issue in Sims 3 in El Capitan/Sierra macOS

★★★ Newbie
I’m having issues with my Sims game.
I have a:
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010)
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
Macintosh HD startup disk
NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB
And I have macOS High Sierra 10.13.1
At first I was getting the Disc Authentification Error and it was saying I had no disc inside even though I clearly did have one
Now after getting Origin and downloading my Late Night pack and High-End Loft stuff my Sims game just repeatedly shows an error message of “Unknown error occurred”
I don’t understand what’s going on
Message 214 of 532 (527 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Hi everyone! I really hope you can help me.

I have literally tried everything I can possible try to get The Sims 3 running on my Mac and I am stumped. EA are useless and cannot provide a fix.

My base game and add on packs have installed perfectly, however will not run (not even the base game on its own) - I just get given the 'Unknown Error Occurred' message every time I try and launch. I have uninstalled/removed and reinstalled a thousand times. I have followed the workaround for Late Night & Ambitions (where you copy and paste the folders), but that hasn't helped as the base game won't even open by itself. I have also tried this fix https://robservatory.com/how-to-make-sims-3-work-in-macos-sierra/ but again it doesn't work. I just get the Plumbob logo that way and another error message 'Unable to start game Service initialization failed (0x0175dcbb)'. It seems there is no answer and I am gutted beyond belief that I will not be able to play The Sims 3 ever again! I hate the Sims 4!!! Please can someone help? I am desperate here!

Spec attached!

Message 215 of 532 (514 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Forgot to say I have also applied Bluebell Flora super patch already - that hasn't fixed the issue either Frown

Message 216 of 532 (509 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

AND I have already tried downloading/installing under a different user profile

Message 217 of 532 (506 Views)

Re: Mac: Error with sims 3 "Unknown Error Occurred" (after installing)

★★★ Newbie

what if there's no expansions? 

Message 218 of 532 (486 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

The base game won't run on it's own, even without the expansions installed.

Message 219 of 532 (479 Views)

@RodgersAmyG

It's probably High Sierra which isn't helping. The game has not been updated since January 2014 - nearly 4 years ago. We were running OS X Mavericks 10.9 then. But there are those of us managing to play so it could be a variety of issues. When you uninstalled did you do it properly or just use the uninstaller?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 220 of 532 (471 Views)