Re: Mac: Error with sims 3 "Unknown Error Occurred" (after installing)

by tamjoyy

Original Post

Re: [CURRENT ISSUE]'Unknown Error' issue in Sims 3 in El Capitan/Sierra macOS

★★★ Novice

Thank you for this Video. I finally got the Unknown error to go away. Here is the path you used in the video that worked for me... Applications>Sims 3> Sims 3> Right click to show Package Contents>Contents>Resources>Add Ons> LateNight/Ambitions (Whichever game not working)>Right click to show Package contents>Contents>Resources>Transgaming> CDrive>Program Files>EA> Copy Late night or Ambitions 

Step 2

Applications>Sims 3> Sims 3> Right click to show Package Contents>Contents>Resources>Add Ons> This Step select the game that the icon comes us when trying to launch the game and getting the Unknown Error for me it was Seasons> Package Contents>Contents>Resources>Transgaming> CDrive>Program Files>EA>Paste 

This corrected the issue for me. 

Message 121 of 532 (17,820 Views)

Sims 3 HELP *Unknown Error Occurred*

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I have the Sims 3 Base game and a few expansions ( Seasons, University, Pets, Ambitions, and Generations) packs in disc form and when I got my new computer I decided to just download the through Origin and everything was working fine. Yesterday, I decided to buy Late Night right through Origin and download that way. After downloading and installing the game I got the message "Unknown Error Occurred." It wouldn't let me play any of my game, so I uninstalled everything and then reinstalled it. It still was working! I've tried everything and probably have read every post on how to fix this and nothing has help! Please can someone help me I spent a lot of money on all these games and now none of the expansion packs will download and play properly. I can only play the base game.

Thank you, 

Chris

Mac User 

Message 122 of 532 (17,811 Views)

Re: Sims 3 HELP *Unknown Error Occurred*

@kherre22

I've moved your post to this thread as your issue is known and experienced by many. Please read the opening post on the first page for a more detailed explanation and the second post, the accepted solution, for instructions on how to fix the issue.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 123 of 532 (17,798 Views)

Re: (MAC) "Unknown error occurred" -- trying to install Ambitions/Late

★★★ Newbie

I have the Macbook Air 13" (early 2015 version). I followed all the steps precisely and it still doesn't work. Did it not work for anyone else?
I tried using the superpatch too that I saw in another thread here, nothing works. Getting really discouraged here.

Someone help? Standard smile 

Thanks.

Message 124 of 532 (17,773 Views)

Re: (MAC) "Unknown error occurred" -- trying to install Ambitions/Late

@Jlbts

Your Mac's Intel graphics aren't supported in the game which is why you are probably still suffering from the issue. The Unknown Error issue pops up for a myriad of different reasons, not just the one in this thread (which is El Capitan/Sierra/LN/Ambitions/Fast Lane/Outdoor Living specific). This thread will explain it a bit more for you - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-The-Sims-3-Issues-playing-on-newer-post-2013-Mac...

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 125 of 532 (17,763 Views)

★★ Novice

I followed your instructions exactly but when I go back into the folder where my expansion packs are, the folder that I copied is still there. Am I missing something? Should I have deleted it along the way? Thanks so much for your help! This is the closest I've come to solving this problem.

Message 126 of 532 (17,759 Views)

Re: Can't open The Sims 3 on my Mac due to "unknown error."

★★★ Novice

I cannot play the game even without expansion packs i still get the unknown error occured. ....

Message 127 of 532 (17,752 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Your second paragraph suddenly takes a left turn, it sounds like you are assuming other expansions have been installed. I just have the base game, and I'm trying to install Ambitions.  So to clarify for people in that boat:

1. Applications > Sims 3 > [right-click] Show Package Contents > Contents > Resources > AddOns

2. Ambitions > [right-click] Show Package Contents > Contents > Resources > transgaming > Program Files > EA

3. Copy whole folder of The Sims 3 Ambitions

4. Applications > Sims 3 > [right-click] Show Package Contents > Contents > Resources > transgaming > Program Files > EA

5. Paste

And now it works.  :D  Thanks Corey!

Message 128 of 532 (17,741 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

You are my savior!! Thank you!!

Message 129 of 532 (17,709 Views)

★★★ Newbie

THANK YOU SM!

Message 130 of 532 (17,696 Views)