[READ FIRST] Sims 4 - Mac Help, Guides and Troubleshooting

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

[READ FIRST] Sims 4 - Mac Help, Guides and Troubleshooting

[ Edited ]

Whether your game isn't playing properly or you just want some info on how The Sims 4 should perform on your Mac, please take some time to read through this thread and try out some of the suggestions and troubleshooting tips. This thread is for Mac specific issues. For general gameplay bugs it's always worth checking Crinrict's Bug Thread as some bugs are gameplay related so therefore affect both Mac and Windows users. 

- Legacy Edition of The Sims 4

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/The-Sims-4-Mac-Legacy-Edition-thread/m-p/8420037

- Using Curseforge for Mods

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/Curseforge-and-Sims-4-for-Mac/m-p/12239207#M54205

- Choosing an external drive

https://bluebellflora.com/2023/11/26/choosing-an-external-hard-drive-for-your-game/

- Storing the Sims 4 folder externally

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/Creating-a-symlink-in-macOS-to-store-the-Sims-4-folde...

- Finding out which Mac you have

Please read these instructions on how to find the information.

- System requirements

Make sure your Mac meets the minimum system requirements for the game. If it doesn't it will not load.

- Game not loading

- Black screen

- Crashing

- In-game performance and graphics issues

- Sim behaviour

Please try these basic troubleshooting steps before posting asking for help. You can normally fix simple problems yourself in minutes. 

- Greyed out Play/Install button in Origin

Please try this fix

- Screen flickering in-game

Toggle your Edge Smoothing settings. More information here.

- Game not updating in Origin

Please try this fix

- Game icon bouncing up and down in the Dock but not loading

Please try this fix

- Saved games not loading

Jump to this post.

- Mac specific bugs

Please read this post for Mac specific bugs. These are bugs which only affect those playing The Sims 4 in OS X and macOS.

- CC, Mods and Patching

Please jump to this post. 

- Graphics issues

For all graphics related queries head to this section. 

- Origin

For help with Origin on a Mac.

How to install Sims 4 on an external drive

- Miscellaneous information

If you want to play the same save games on two or more Macs you can without having to copy the save files onto an external drive. Saves can be synced immediately using a file sharing site and an app called MacDropAny. Full instructions here.

If you would like to stop the Gallery from filling up the cache folder with thumbnails you can use Automator to automatically delete them.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 1 of 11 (449,791 Views)

Re: [MAC - READ FIRST] Links to Mac Help Threads, Guides and Troubleshooting

[ Edited ]

Finding your Mac's specifications

About This Mac.png

Screenshot 2023-07-16 at 07.46.55.png

Click on the Apple icon in the top left corner of your desktop and select About This Mac. You should see a window like one of the ones above, depending on model. Please provide the following information, of available (you may need to click on More Info depending on what operating system you're running). Do NOT include your serial number:

• Operating System (Version/macOS)
  • Mac model
  • Processor/Chip
  • Memory (RAM)
  • Graphics (if shown)
  • 15" and 16" Intel only MacBook Pro users - click on System Report then Graphics/Displays in the left side list. If your Mac has dedicated graphics this will show up as either NVIDIA or AMD in the right side window, please list the specification here as well.

15 MBP.png

1. Are you attempting to play the normal version of the game or the Legacy Edition?
  2. Are you running any antivirus?
  3. Have you tried to repair the game in Origin? Right click on the game in My Games and select Repair Game.
  4. Do you use CC/Mods? If so, have you tried removing them and seeing if that fixes your problem?
  5. How much storage is available on your internal drive? About This Mac > Storage

AHQSigImage.png
Message 2 of 11 (449,679 Views)

[ Edited ]

Symptom:

• Game not loading
  • Black screen
  • Frequent crashing 
  • In-game performance and graphics issues
  • Sim behaviour

Steps to try:

1. Move your Sims 4 folder out onto your desktop and let the game generate a new one (if you have created a symlink to store your Sims 4 folder on an external drive do not move the folder but rename it instead). You can find the folder in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4. If your game then works ok the problem was in your user data (most causes for this are incompatible or conflicting CC/Mods). Now you have a nice, new, clean user data folder you can try adding your old data back into the game gradually, testing after each addition. For example, copy your saves from your old The Sims 4 folder into the new one. If your game once again doesn't perform properly then you know that there is a problem somewhere in your saves, one or more may be corrupted. For more information on Saves read this.
    2. Try repairing your game. Open Origin, click on your games library, right click on The Sims 4 and select Repair Game.
    3. If you have Origin open but your game won't load, quit Origin then try launching the game again from the Sims 4 icon in your Applications folder.
    4. Log out of and quit Origin. Restart your Mac then open and log back in to Origin.
    5. Disable Origin in Game. Open Origin, navigate to the The Sims 4 in My Games, right click on the game and select Game Properties. Make sure Disable Origin in Game for this game is ticked. For more detailed instructions read this.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 3 of 11 (449,673 Views)

[ Edited ]

Mac specific Bugs:

Please see this separate thread for a compiled list of Mac specific bugs - https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/Compiled-list-of-Mac-specific-issues/m-p/9346384#M367...

AHQSigImage.png
Message 4 of 11 (449,673 Views)

[ Edited ]

CC, Mods and Patching:

• For clear instructions on how to install CC and Mods on a Mac, read itsaprilXD's excellent guide. Remember that installing Mods and CC into your game is done entirely at your own risk. They must be moved out of your Mods folder before patching. Once patched check with the creator that the Mods/CC are compatible with the latest patch before putting them back into your game.
  • Troubleshooting steps for custom content not showing up in-game can be found here.
  • Turn off automatic updates for both The Sims 4 and Origin. This is especially important if you are using Mods in your game. Instructions can be found here. Make sure you have automatic startup for Origin turned off too so it doesn't automatically launch when you log in to your Mac. In Origin go to Preferences > Application:

Origin updates.png

AHQSigImage.png
Message 5 of 11 (448,917 Views)

[ Edited ]

Using the cheat console:

Using the cheat console is exactly the same on a Mac as it is in Windows. Hold down CTRL, Shift and C. Whereas we normally substitute the CMD key for the CTRL key, this is not the case in The Sims 4 (or The Sims 3).  If this is not working for you check your keyboard configuration in System Preferences > Keyboard > Modifier Keys and Input Sources. The cheat console is coded into the game, there is no reason why it shouldn't work unless the user has changed some settings or has software installed which may be conflicting with the keyboard settings. Check whether your CTRL key is faulty or broken. If all else fails:

• Try plugging in or bluetoothing another keyboard to your Mac. You may have a broken CTRL key(s).
  • Check for 3rd party software that has changed the keyboard mapping, e.g. - screenshot software or video capture software.
  • 3rd party software that is conflicting with the game. Close down any other apps that are running.
  • User changes to the modifer keys in System Preferences. Has someone used your Mac under your user account and changed something without you knowing? Go into System Preferences > Keyboard > Modifier Keys and set another key as the CTRL key
  • The Input Source in System Preferences > Keyboard has been changed to a different language. You could also try adding another language to see if this resolves the issue.

Further information here https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/-Opening-the-Sims-4-cheat-console-on-Mac/m-p/12043321...

AHQSigImage.png
Message 6 of 11 (448,913 Views)

[ Edited ]

Graphics related threads:

If you have upped your graphics settings in game and are now having problems loading your game simply navigate to Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 and trash the Options.ini file. The game will recreate a new one and reset your graphics options to default settings.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 7 of 11 (448,903 Views)

[ Edited ]

Origin help:

Origin connection and installation issues:

For any issues with Origin not downloading, installing, connecting or working properly please read this dedicated Mac Origin thread

AHQSigImage.png
Message 8 of 11 (448,893 Views)

Re: The Sims 4 - Mac Help Threads, Guides and Troubleshooting

[ Edited ]

Minimum Requirements

• Minimum OS – macOS El Capitan (10.11) Metal compatible*
  • CPU – Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz or better
  • RAM – At least 4Gb RAM
  • Hard Drive – At least 14Gb of free space with at least 1Gb additional space for custom content
  • Video – NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro or better. Video RAM of 256MB or better.
  • Input – Keyboard and Mouse
  • Online Requirements: Internet Connection required for product activation

Recommended Requirements

• Minimum OS – macOS El Capitan (10.11) Metal compatible*
  • CPU – Intel Core i5 or better
  • RAM – 8Gb RAM
  • Hard Drive – 18Gb Hard Drive space
  • Video – NVIDIA GTX 650 or better
  • Input – Keyboard and Mouse
  • Online Requirements: Internet Connection required for product activation

*If your Mac is a 2011 or earlier model it is not Metal compatible. You will need to run the Legacy Edition of the game.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 9 of 11 (447,282 Views)

Re: The Sims 4 - Mac Help Threads, Guides and Troubleshooting

[ Edited ]

Symptoms:

- Greyed out Play/Install button in Origin

- Game not updating in Origin

- Game bouncing up and down in the Dock but not loading

Steps to try:

1. In your Applications folder, or wherever you have the game installed to, right click on the Sims 4 app and select Show Package Contents.
  2. Navigate to Contents > Mac OS.
  3. Right click on The Sims 4 and select Move to Trash. Don't drag the file as it will only move an alias and leave the original in place.
  4. Now open Origin, right click on The Sims 4 in your Games Library and click Repair Game.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 10 of 11 (447,263 Views)