the Sims 3 steam expansion problem

by Bartt00

Original Post

Accepted Solution

the Sims 3 steam expansion problem

★★★ Newbie

I've bought the Sims 3 on Steam recently. I downloaded it and I was trying to instal 'Supernatural' from a DVD that I have. There's an error saying that I need to instal the Sims 3 first, but I did already. I can't add my expansion to my Steam library, because it says that my key is incorrect. Is there anyway to fix that?

Message 1 of 2 (300 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: the Sims 3 steam expansion problem

There is no way to combine a Steam install with either discs or Origin downloads.  Steam won't recognize your code (as you've found out), and if you ever wanted to switch over to an Origin-managed install, you'd have to completely uninstall the Steam version from your computer first.  (Saved games do transfer over though, as well as sims and builds from your library.)

If you want to combine your existing purchases, your only option is to register your Steam CD keys with EA or Origin.  You can do so within Origin or at the (often more reliable) Sims 3 store.  Once you have done so, the base game and packs you purchased from Steam will show up in your Origin library, and you can download them for free.  Just a note, you'd end up on patch 1.69, which brings with it a mandatory tie-in with Origin and a pack selector that gives some people fits.

If you want to stay with Steam, you'll have to buy all of your packs specifically from Steam.  As frustrating as this may be, it could be considerably less painful if you're willing to wait for the Steam summer sale.  The sales usually happen in June (there's one in December as well) and have recently included all Sims 3 content at a steep discount.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 2 (315 Views)

All Replies

Re: the Sims 3 steam expansion problem

There is no way to combine a Steam install with either discs or Origin downloads.  Steam won't recognize your code (as you've found out), and if you ever wanted to switch over to an Origin-managed install, you'd have to completely uninstall the Steam version from your computer first.  (Saved games do transfer over though, as well as sims and builds from your library.)

If you want to combine your existing purchases, your only option is to register your Steam CD keys with EA or Origin.  You can do so within Origin or at the (often more reliable) Sims 3 store.  Once you have done so, the base game and packs you purchased from Steam will show up in your Origin library, and you can download them for free.  Just a note, you'd end up on patch 1.69, which brings with it a mandatory tie-in with Origin and a pack selector that gives some people fits.

If you want to stay with Steam, you'll have to buy all of your packs specifically from Steam.  As frustrating as this may be, it could be considerably less painful if you're willing to wait for the Steam summer sale.  The sales usually happen in June (there's one in December as well) and have recently included all Sims 3 content at a steep discount.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 2 (316 Views)