Re: sims3

by roberta591

Original Post

★★★★★ Novice

@roberta591I've attached the file for you.  All packs were bought from ea at the same time as ts3, I'm not setting up another win7 machine just to play this one game, but I had some old drive laying around, so I set up one just to make sure it was only the forcing me to install the old directx that was the problem.  Windows 10 as covered runs ts3 perfectly when installed via any other means at all, but I can't get my add on packs with steam, etc..  The only issue I have is that Origin does not give me the option to skip the directx installer they send with the download, I've don't all the deleting and reinstalling and different everything, windows 10 just wont use their installer and there seems to be no way to bypass it.

Message 11 of 45 (871 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Orac9   The installer assumes all versions of Windows. Some Windows version need to have DirectX installed while Windows 10 DirectX 12 is included. I believe the installer will (should) bypass the DirectX install when it detects DX12 already installed and proceed to install the game. Do you have the expansion packs activated in Origin. I believe Steam provides activation codes for Origin. You need to get the codes from Steam and activate the packs in your Origin account. After the packs are activated in Origin the next time you start Origin the packs should install. you may have to open each pack and click install (if available). As the Steam install is different then the Origin install you can't mix or match. An install has to be all Origin or all Steam.

Message 12 of 45 (868 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@roberta591   Yes all the packs have been added, it doesn't even get to that point, it stops every time at the trying to install directx.  I've even unplugged 4 of my screens and tried running it on just one, still the same DirectX has an internal error message... every time

Message 13 of 45 (863 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@roberta591   I only have the packs with origin, I don't have them on stream or I wouldn't have been forced in to any of this, I'd just install and run it with stream

Message 14 of 45 (859 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Orac9   If the expansion packs are in Origin - the base game should be an Origin install. Steam installs are different from Origin installs - you can not mix and match. I have both Steam and Origin clients installed and have no issues. Steam should provide an activation code to activate the base game in Origin. I play my sims games through Origin and my Tombraider games through Steam. There were issues about TS3 between Valve and EA which caused confusion for users. There may be a way to make it work but that is not the intended way. I think not all expansion packs are offered through Steam. To make an Origin pack work with a Steam base game you will need to check the Steam forums.

Message 15 of 45 (853 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@roberta591   I know they are different, if they weren't, we wouldn't be having this conversation.  This has nothing to do with steam, I was merely saying that the version I purchased on steam installs and runs perfectly, so it's not a game issue, it's the Origin install process that is the problem by not having the option to bypass the stupid directx part of the install process.

Message 16 of 45 (846 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Orac9 You have a very unusual hardware setup that I am unable to recreate to duplicate the problem. Many gamers have had issues with this game with dual monitors. You have triple monitors connected. You have the Windows 1804 update which in itself is a problem. Many users are not installing the 1804 update and Microsoft has acknowledged problems with update 1804. I don't know what Microsoft is going to do as Microsoft seems to have issues about Windows 10. Looking at the end of your dxdiag there are some update failures. I have found that dealing with update failures sometimes fixes a lot of issues. I think the issue with the installer is the installer is having trouble with the three monitors. The issue with multiple monitors I think is a video driver issue as the game seems to work with some systems and not with others and the issues seems to come and go with game patches and driver updates. IMO if you want this game to play on your system as it is you have to configure your system to one monitor and get the game working then start adding hardware back in. First I recommend correcting the update issues. As you have different resolutions between monitors the installer may be getting confused with what is being reported by Windows. When Steam installs this  game the core game files get installed to a different location then the EA install. The installers should be the same except where to install the core files which is most likely an external data to the installer. If the installers are different then this is a problem between EA and Valve.

Message 17 of 45 (815 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@roberta591   I only have the 3 screens at the moment, my system has 6 screens total, a big one in the middle as my main screen, then 2 smaller ones on either side and a general video on above the whole thing that I use for security cameras..   I have removed all bar the big 4k one in the middle and it still does the same things.   I'm not sure what the 1804 update is, but I'm guessing there is some way to uninstall this, I'll have a play and see if I can remove it and maybe that might help?

Message 18 of 45 (805 Views)

@Orac9 

Is the problem resolved?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 19 of 45 (740 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@Holger1405no, it's not fixed... I've gone back to one screen, run all updates I could for drivers, windows, etc.. nothing I try seems to work at this point. It's looking like the 1804 update for windows 10 is whats stopping it

Message 20 of 45 (726 Views)