Re: sims3

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

sims3

★★★★★ Novice

I have the Sim3 and a bunch of expansion packs on Origin, I also have Sims3 on Steam, when I install from steam, it works perfect, but I don't have my expansion packs there, so I've been trying to run my Origin version... Everything has downloaded, all the packs, etc.. it sits on the install screen saying it's ready to go, but when it trys to install and gets to the directX section of the install, it says 'DirectX Setup Error: An internal error occurred.'   I don't have any issues with DirectX for anything else at all, all other games working, including the Sims3 when played from any other launcher... it's only when done via origin that I can't install the game... How do I correct this issue otherwise I've just wasted a lot of money of expansion packs

Message 1 of 45 (3,330 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]

@Orac9 

Please clear your temp files:

• Press the Windows key and "R" at the same time
  • Into the new window, type or copy & paste: "%temp%" (Without the quotes.) > hit "ENTER"
  • Now your Windows Explorer should have brought you to the "C:\Users\>your user name<\AppData\Local\Temp" folder. > Delete all files and folders in it.
    (If some files or folders can't be deleted, reboot and try again.)
  • reboot > Test.

If that don't works:

• Press the Windows key and "R" at the same time.
  • Type or copy and paste "sysdm.cpl" (without quotes) into the new window > hit ENTER
  • Open the "Advanced" tab. > click on "Environment Variables"
  • Change the value of "TEMP" and "TMP" to "C:\Temp" (Without the quotes.) > Click OK
  • Reboot > Test.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

View in thread

Message 40 of 45 (3,565 Views)

All Replies

@Orac9  I believe the Origin version of Sims 3 comes with a DirectX installer; the Steam version certainly does.  So it would be strange if this were an issue of a missing or corrupted DirectX file.

What would be a problem, however, is not fully uninstalling the Steam version of TS3 before installing from Origin.  The two versions will conflict with each other and shouldn't be present on the same system.  If you haven't already, uninstall both versions and clean your computer's registry of the leftover TS3 entries.  You can do this manually or with a tool like Piriform's CCleaner.

Once you've uninstalled and cleaned the registry, try to install the base game only from Origin.  If you still get the error, please run a dxdiag and attach the results to a post here.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 45 (3,318 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

With steam it gave me the exact same error, but had the option of skipping the install, with origin, it just says it can't install and stops.  The Installed for DirectX that comes from origin is trying to install an old DirectX that windows 10 doesn't support, Windows 10 comes with version 12 onwards, there is no way to put 9c on that Origin is trying to install and because they refuse to put a skip option like Steam does, I don't know a way past it.  I've tried on a fresh install of windows with no steam or anything else installed, it just wont install on windows 10, when I installed windows 7 on a drive for testing, it was fine, but that doesn't help me on my main machine

Message 3 of 45 (3,285 Views)

@Orac9  I understand that you should have DirectX installed already; I was saying that I believed the Origin and Steam versions came with the same (old) installer, so it would be weird if you had a problem with the Origin install but not the Steam one.  I didn't realize you'd skipped the DirectX portion of the Steam install.  And yes, I know that Windows 10 comes with v. 12, but it's supposed to be backwards compatible with older versions.

To that end, I've only installed TS3 in Windows 10 via Origin once, and had no issues, but that was on a computer that was a couple of years old (though the OS was up to date).  I did install via Steam on a fresh of Windows 10 build 17134 a year ago, with no errors.  So unless something has changed since then, it does seem very strange that Origin would throw this error.

At any rate, you can try installing DirectX 9 directly from Microsoft:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=35

If that doesn't work, let me know, and I'll try to figure out something else.

Message 4 of 45 (3,271 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Been to that link and I can install DirectX from anywhere, but there is still no way to skip the Origin part of the install, the moment I click on run game it instantly goes to it's own DirectX installer regardless of what is installed already on the machine, there are countles videos and threads about it all over the web and I've done what everyone says, tried way to many variations, it has me totally stumped..

Message 5 of 45 (3,263 Views)

@Orac9  Okay, try restarting your computer and running Origin as an administrator.  (Right-click on the .exe or shortcut to see the option; having an admin account isn't enough.)

If that doesn't fix it, deleting some files may help.  Go into TS3's DirectX installer files, which you should find here:

Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3\__Installer\directx\redist

and delete any files you find with the extension .cab.  Then run the DXSETUP.exe (in the same place) as an admin, restart your computer, and try to install again.

If that doesn't work either, let me know and I'll ask for more help.  (Thanks @holger1405 for the consult, again.)

Message 6 of 45 (3,246 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I've done the deleting of files, tried running them directly, tried running as admin, at this point on this version of windows 10, it just refuses to run.. I'm running windows 10 Ultimate and it just point blank refuses to get the older directx install, doesn't matter if I download it from microsoft on the link you gave me or where it comes from, I just can't get an older version to install, but either way the current version runs ts3 perfectly from everywhere, I just need to find a way to stop the Origin installer from forcing it to try and install directx again, like stream and the cd's do..  If I could run the expansion packs on my steam version there wouldn't be a need for any of this...   I did a fresh install on a new drive today, and with nothing else install, just origin and then ts3, it still failed, same error, and was in admin mode, so I'm totally out of ideas now.

Message 7 of 45 (3,229 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Orac9   Please post your dxdiag as directed above. There is no version of Windows 10 Ultimate that I know of. Windows 10 is not compatible with DirectX 11 and below - you need to have DirectX 12 that comes with Windows 10. Steam installs TS3 differently then the EA version. Are you trying to install TS3 with stock options? Are you trying to install to an alternate drive (storage device?)?

Message 8 of 45 (3,218 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Turns out I got my windows 7 and windows 10 confused, 7 is Ultimate and 10 is Pro.. here is a screen shoot of the DxDiag for you all...   as for the install, I started with just TS3, but now I've added all the codes for all expansions, I have almost every expansion, origin has downloaded all of them from what I can see..  also thank you everyone for helping with this..  really hope we figure this out

Message 9 of 45 (3,210 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Orac9 Use the save information option in dxdiag. This will create a text file on your desktop. This file is rather large. You can attach the txt file to your post by using the paper clip in the lower right bottom of the reply window. Have you verified all the packs are in Origin? When you want some one to reply use the at symbol (shift 2) with the user name (this is tagging) to alert that person you posted. Windows 10 and windows 7 are very different. To start this game requires .net framework. By default this is turned off in a Windows 10 install. This needs to be turned on in Windows programs and features.

Message 10 of 45 (3,185 Views)