sims 3 won't launch

by Jackcat140

Original Post

sims 3 won't launch

★★ Novice

I'm trying to re-download the sims 3 because it has been a while since I last played, and I want to try it again. I go through the whole downloading process, but then when I click play, it says that there was an error and the launcher won't show up. I am on the latest IOS on a mac.

Message 1 of 6 (373 Views)

Re: sims 3 won't launch

@Jackcat140  Can you please list your mac's specs, as well as which expansion and stuff packs you've installed?  There are several steps to fixing the unknown error issue, but which ones you need to take will depend on these details.

gather mac specs:  https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/475...

In the meantime, if you've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times, it's best to do a clean uninstall before proceeding.  The uninstaller that comes with the game can miss some files which then might get in the way of your launching TS2 going forward.

https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 6 (358 Views)

★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddictI don't have any installed because I want it to work before I download them.

Here are my specs

Message 3 of 6 (353 Views)

★★ Novice

Also @puzzlezaddict, this is what is gives me when I try to play.

Message 4 of 6 (346 Views)

@Jackcat140  Your computer is way under the recommended specs to run TS3.  Your processor is weak, and you only have a not-particularly-powerful integrated graphics card.  Macbook Airs also lack the cooling necessary to handle even moderately demanding games.  If you did get TS3 running, you'd be in danger of damaging your computer from the strain.  Additionally, with only 4 GB RAM, it would be difficult to play at all.  High Sierra can take almost 3 GB for itself just on startup, and a new save might need 1.5 GB to load, so you'd be out of memory before you even started.  I'm really sorry, but I don't think there's any way for you to play properly on this computer.

Message 5 of 6 (343 Views)

@Jackcat140  I think I should clarify what I said before.  Your computer hardware (processor, RAM, graphics card) is above requirements to run TS3's base game, although the most demanding packs (Pets, Seasons, then IP and ITF) might be out of the question, especially on anything more than the lowest settings.  But with High Sierra installed—an unsupported OS—it might be difficult if not impossible to run even the base game on your computer.  High Sierra takes up more RAM than its predecessors, leaving so little that even loading a new game might be out of the question.  Some computers that have been running TS3 without issue can no longer do so after an upgrade to HS.

If you really want to try to play on your macbook air, you need to make sure you have nothing else running before you launch the game.  You can try right after a restart, and it would be a good idea to purge RAM as often as possible, including at the Main Menu.  Also be sure to turn off wifi or otherwise disconnect your computer from the internet before playing, as TS3 will download files into your game folder regardless of whether you login.

https://bluebellflora.com/resetting-ram-during-gameplay/

The other helpful thing to do is to run the Super Patch (digital download version).  Even if your game thinks it's patched, it may not be, and the Super Patch won't hurt.

https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-manual-super-patch-for-mac-1-67/

Message 6 of 6 (312 Views)