s3pe associating package files

by peaceout5581

Original Post

Accepted Solution

s3pe associating package files

★★ Novice

Not really sure if this is the appropriate place to ask about this, but I recently installed s3pe and accidentally checked the option to associate package files with the program. Now, all of my package files are showing as Sims3 package. I tried several things to disassociate the file type - uninstalled and then reinstalled s3pe without checking the option to associate package files (this changed nothing, unfortunately), tried to change the default app association in both settings and the registry, but neither the .package file type or the Sims 3 package file type show in either place. I've looked for solutions from several different guides and forums but nothing has worked for me yet.

For clarification, I have Windows 10.

Message 1 of 5 (2,262 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: s3pe associating package files

[ Edited ]

@peaceout5581  What you're describing isn't actually a problem at all.  The icon that you see is just telling you which program your computer would use if you tried to open any of the files.  This information has nothing to do with the internal characteristics of the files, so as long as you didn't corrupt the files themselves (i.e. by opening them with the wrong application and then saving the changes) they will work exactly as they would have before.  TS3 will recognize its own .package files if they're installed correctly, as will TS4, and neither game will *care* about your computer's association between s3pe and .package files in general.  Threads have been written about this issue over on the sims forums, and the experts all agree that there's nothing here that needs to be fixed.

The short answer is that the s3pe icons you see are purely cosmetic and have no effect on how your games open any of the files.  But if seeing those icons really bothers you, you can try opening the files with a different application and selecting that app as the default.  Then you will see icons for that particular app instead.  One poster also described a somewhat complex way to erase the association, but as it's completely unnecessary I don't see why you'd want to bother with the process.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 5 (2,386 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

@peaceout5581  What you're describing isn't actually a problem at all.  The icon that you see is just telling you which program your computer would use if you tried to open any of the files.  This information has nothing to do with the internal characteristics of the files, so as long as you didn't corrupt the files themselves (i.e. by opening them with the wrong application and then saving the changes) they will work exactly as they would have before.  TS3 will recognize its own .package files if they're installed correctly, as will TS4, and neither game will *care* about your computer's association between s3pe and .package files in general.  Threads have been written about this issue over on the sims forums, and the experts all agree that there's nothing here that needs to be fixed.

The short answer is that the s3pe icons you see are purely cosmetic and have no effect on how your games open any of the files.  But if seeing those icons really bothers you, you can try opening the files with a different application and selecting that app as the default.  Then you will see icons for that particular app instead.  One poster also described a somewhat complex way to erase the association, but as it's completely unnecessary I don't see why you'd want to bother with the process.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 5 (2,387 Views)

★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Thank you for the explanation! It's a bit of a pain to sort through now and I hate seeing a different file extension type, but there isn't another program that I think I'd rather use, icon-wise. Thank you so much for your help though!

Message 3 of 5 (2,234 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Ok, So I need help who ever is willing or able to help me Im not shure where or how on this website to post questions so Im just going to post here I had my sims 3 game backed up on a USB drive witch comes up as Disk-F instaead of diskC what happened was I wastrying to upgrade my Windows to windows 10 homeing I can put my windows 10 files on my USB drive, Well Unfortunitlly I wasnt able to upgrade to windows 10 becasue of stupid error Messages and it also erased my sims3 folder on my USB drive, in the Prosses I use a Program called Recuva to get my Sims 3 Folder back but when I ran the program everything came back as a Package file Instead of just one sims3 Folder So what I had to do was go into Documents, Electronics art Create a News sims3 folder, then copy and paste the Package files into the correctsims3 File folder, ok so I did that Worldsfolder, Saves, Saved sims, Mods packages I coppied and pasted everything into the right folders where they Belong I even put my Nobuild Sparkles,No intro,Error trap, and Master Controler all in my Mods package folder Recreated Origion after that,installed my sims 3 Played the game and Nothing came Up Not my World or my Sims3 Characters I once had, Nothing even thoe I coppied and pasted everything in the right File folders am I doing something Wrong?......

When I used the Program Recuva can it come back as something other then USB file?.... Im not aware of?.... Can it be my Origion game? The Origion I Installed was diffrent then the old Origion I used would that do anything?.... Also another Weird thing I origionally purchased Dragon Valley in sims3.com My Game would not read it or Upload it it always said it was uploading but then it wouldnt show in the uploaded worlds in my sims3games,....... 

Im going to see if I can Repair my game in the Origion Launcher but other then that I really dont know what else to do,... any suggestions or help would be Great thanks!!! Standard smile 

Message 4 of 5 (2,143 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Ok so quick update everybody My Origion I have wont even let me Repair my game!!!!!!! Frown    

Shnizelsticks!!!!!! Frown

Message 5 of 5 (2,138 Views)