Re: missing d3d9.dll

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

missing d3d9.dll

★★ Novice

I was going to ask this on the sims forums but i dont know how to make a post on there. Anyway i havent played the sims 3 in a long time and wanted to play again. Every time i press play on the launcher it brings up an error saying missing file d3d9.dll. I have absolutely no idea what that is or how to fix it. Ive looked everywhere for it but am at a loss. Can someone please help?

Message 1 of 15 (3,542 Views)

@Ari204406  Within TS3's program files, look for DXSETUP.exe.  I'm not sure what kind of install you have, but it should be in there somewhere.  For example, on my Steam install, the path is:

Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Sims 3\install\Directx

For an Origin install, it will look something like this:

Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\TS3\_Installer\directx

Run the .exe as an admin, then restart your computer.

If that doesn't help, you can install the file directly from Microsoft:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=35

If that doesn't work either, are you running SweetFX, by any chance?  It uses altered dx files, so that could be interfering with TS3.

By the way, you can only start a new discussion on the official Sims forums if you're a full member, which means having 15 posts and 25 points.  Otherwise, you'd need to post in an existing thread, like the one for new members.  But posting here is also fine.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/893122/thread-for-new-members-to-post-their-sims-3-game-...

(Thanks to @holger1405 for the consult.)

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 15 (3,529 Views)

★★ Novice

That still diidnt work. I even unistalled the game and reinstalled it to see f that would fix it and that didnt work either its just the same error.

Message 3 of 15 (3,481 Views)

★★ Novice
Is the file to download safe. I was told by smeone else not to download the files for some reason and where would ii put the file?
Message 4 of 15 (3,480 Views)

★★ Novice
Even downloading the file didnt work
Message 5 of 15 (3,479 Views)

@Ari204406  Please run a dxdiag and attach the results to a post here.  That will cover a lot of ground at once.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 6 of 15 (3,473 Views)

★★ Novice

Here is the dxdiag. Its so weird im having this problem. I play the sims 4 and 2 perfectly fine and used to play 3 fine as well as other games too.

Message 7 of 15 (3,450 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Ari204406  The driver for your graphics card is over three years old.  You can download the newest version from Intel:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81499/Intel-HD-Graphics-4000

If that alone doesn't help, you really do need to install DirectX, not just download it.

I'm not sure what the person you talked to meant about not downloading the file, but it's perfectly safe to download from Microsoft or other manufacturers' websites (like Intel's, in the link above).  That's the only way to get the newest updates.  And since Windows 10 updates automatically, your other software needs to be updated as well to remain compatible.

Once you've installed the new driver and DirectX, try to launch TS3 a couple more times, and if it still doesn't work, run another dxdiag.

(Thanks again, @holger1405 .)

Message 8 of 15 (3,433 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Ari204406   d3d9.dll is part of DX12. Previous versions of DX (directx) will not work with Windows 10 (at least not well if at all). The only way I found to reinstall DX12 is from the Windows 10 install files (which is not easy). A guess you installed something that may have corrupted the DirectX 12 install. You could try to google how to reinstall DX12. I saw some posts that may help.

Message 9 of 15 (3,427 Views)

★★ Novice

I updated and ran the install but i still get the same error. 

Message 10 of 15 (3,412 Views)