Re: if i dye my sims hair with the salon will it go onto her children?

by EuphorialQueen

Original Post

Accepted Solution

if i dye my sims hair with the salon will it go onto her children?

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

so i have a female sim, and she already has two kids. she’s currently pregnant but doesn’t know yet, after she has her third kid, i wanted to dye her hair using the salon. if i do it there, and dye it purple or blonde (i’m not doing those just an example) will either of those colors go into their kids genetics?

Message 1 of 5 (2,420 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]

@katelynk005  I've moved your thread to the Sims 3 section.

The genetics of a child are determined at birth, with some twists.  It's decided at some point before, maybe even conception, which features are inherited from which parent, but those features aren't assigned until the child is born.  So if you dyed the hair of one of the parents during the pregnancy, that color could be transmitted to the child later.  (I've had this happen a couple of times, although luckily it could be undone with a convenient mod and a couple of clicks.)

However, there's no reason that a dye job after birth should change the child's hair color.  And without mods, the grandparents' genetics won't affect the grandchildren, so there's no reason the dye would affect subsequent generations.  Still, keep in mind that there's a 10% chance of a mutation in the unmodded game, so you might see a different hair (or eye) color no matter what you do.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 5 of 5 (2,336 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

Hello @katelynk005
When you say you are going to 'dye her hair using the salon' are you talking about Sims3?

Partly because you used the word 'salon' as a means to color hair.
There are hair styling stations in both Sims 3 and Sims 4 as well as a salon mod.
It could make a difference depending on what you use.

EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA but I do volunteer at AnswersHQ to help others with their game issues.
EAGameChanger - The Sims 4 Gallery Creator
Gallery Tag: #EQCreations
Message 2 of 5 (2,391 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

yes! i apologize, i’m literally super new to the community and didn’t realize it said sims 4. yes i meant sims 3. the salon from ambitions. maybe i should explain it more. both of the parents currently have brown hair. if i use the salon, not cheats or change appearance, to change the color of her hair, like change it to blonde or red, will it go onto her kids genetics? all her kids have brown hair, so if i dyed it red, would her upcoming children have a possibility of having red hair?

Message 3 of 5 (2,371 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@katelynk005I have played all versions of the Sims but have not played Sims3 since Sims4 released. Honestly I do not remember how reliable the genetics are in the situation you described. I will reach out and find someone to help if I can.

EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA but I do volunteer at AnswersHQ to help others with their game issues.
EAGameChanger - The Sims 4 Gallery Creator
Gallery Tag: #EQCreations
Message 4 of 5 (2,348 Views)

[ Edited ]

@katelynk005  I've moved your thread to the Sims 3 section.

The genetics of a child are determined at birth, with some twists.  It's decided at some point before, maybe even conception, which features are inherited from which parent, but those features aren't assigned until the child is born.  So if you dyed the hair of one of the parents during the pregnancy, that color could be transmitted to the child later.  (I've had this happen a couple of times, although luckily it could be undone with a convenient mod and a couple of clicks.)

However, there's no reason that a dye job after birth should change the child's hair color.  And without mods, the grandparents' genetics won't affect the grandchildren, so there's no reason the dye would affect subsequent generations.  Still, keep in mind that there's a 10% chance of a mutation in the unmodded game, so you might see a different hair (or eye) color no matter what you do.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 5 of 5 (2,337 Views)