Won't install (error code with product key)

by FrozenCokeNoms

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Won't install (error code with product key)

★ Novice

So I had a mega issue with my PC and had to wipe it back to factory settings - and now I can't have my Sims stuff back. It installed (from disc) the base game without any issues. I used my Origin account that I used the first time, so didn't have any trouble. My problem is I have the Sims 3 starter pack, with Late Night expansion and High End Loft Stuff, plus bonus Date Night Clothing. When I try to install (from the disc) the other stuff, it asks for the product key...I've been using the serial number from the game manual, but it says invalid code and I can't proceed with installation....Am I using the wrong code? It's what I used the first time so I'm really confused. Any advice or tips would be really appreciated please, I miss playing! Frown

Message 1 of 6 (1,668 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Won't install (error code with product key)

@FrozenCokeNoms  It's strange that you'd only have the one code.  I take it you bought a disc pack with the base game, Late Night, and High-End Loft Stuff all included in one package?  (If not, please let me know what format it came in.)  When I bought a bundle with the base game and Ambitions, I had two codes printed on the back of the case insert.  I'd expect you to have three—one for the base game and one each for LN and HELS.

Origin itself can be fussy with recognizing installs, and sometimes with packs as well.  So a good place to start would be to clear Origin's cache, and if that doesn't help, uninstall Origin ("the hard way") and reinstall it.  This wouldn't affect your TS3 install.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/manually-uninstalling-origin/

If these steps don't help, this may be an issue with how packs and codes are sold now, as opposed to how they used to be handled.  It's kind of complicated, but these days, an all-digital install into Windows only requires the base game code, and other codes aren't even provided.  Previously, each pack had its own code.  I'm not familiar with the format of the discs currently being sold, but perhaps they're supposed to only contain the one code, matching Origin's current format.

Regardless, since you bought a physical copy of the starter pack, with both LN and HELS included, there needs to be a way for you to get all that content.  If Origin won't recognize your ownership of the packs, and you can't install via disc without other codes, you'll need to contact EA customer support.  It would be helpful if you could provide photos of your receipt, the discs, their case (showing that what you bought is specifically the starter pack and not just the base game), and the back of the insert with just the single code.  A support rep should be able to provide you with codes for your packs, or fix whatever is going on with Origin.

https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/

If you happen to get a support rep who's not as helpful as you would like, you can always leave the chat and try again later.  Or, if no one is able to solve your issue, let me know and I'll ask an EA community manager if there's something more you should be doing.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 4 of 6 (1,602 Views)

All Replies

@FrozenCokeNoms  Have you been using the serial number for your base game, or the codes for your expansion and stuff pack discs?  If it's the former, then it's not surprising the code wouldn't work.

However, it might be easier just to install everything through Origin.  If you already need to launch your game through Origin, then there's no effective difference between installing digitally or via disc.  Plus, Origin doesn't always manage mixed disc/digital installs very well, even though it's supposed to be fine.

To install via Origin, click on the TS3 base game icon in your library, then More > Expnsion Packs (or Stuff Packs).  Scroll down to the icons for the packs you own, and press Install.  Since Origin itself is validating your ownership of the content, you shouldn't need to enter any codes.

Message 2 of 6 (1,613 Views)

★ Novice

The serial number for the base game I guess? It's the only code of any kind I could find on the manual, and that's all that came with the disc (I bought it brand new, I'm the only owner), just the manual and a couple of pamphlet things about Hidden Springs and stuff. I'm pretty sure it's the only thing I used last time?

When I go to my library, despite the base game being installed, it asks me to install it again digitally....And only allows the option to purchase Late Night and the other bonus stuff, not like...Re-download what I already own. I suck at technology, sorry!

Thank you so much for such a quick reply and your help Standard smile

Message 3 of 6 (1,608 Views)

@FrozenCokeNoms  It's strange that you'd only have the one code.  I take it you bought a disc pack with the base game, Late Night, and High-End Loft Stuff all included in one package?  (If not, please let me know what format it came in.)  When I bought a bundle with the base game and Ambitions, I had two codes printed on the back of the case insert.  I'd expect you to have three—one for the base game and one each for LN and HELS.

Origin itself can be fussy with recognizing installs, and sometimes with packs as well.  So a good place to start would be to clear Origin's cache, and if that doesn't help, uninstall Origin ("the hard way") and reinstall it.  This wouldn't affect your TS3 install.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/manually-uninstalling-origin/

If these steps don't help, this may be an issue with how packs and codes are sold now, as opposed to how they used to be handled.  It's kind of complicated, but these days, an all-digital install into Windows only requires the base game code, and other codes aren't even provided.  Previously, each pack had its own code.  I'm not familiar with the format of the discs currently being sold, but perhaps they're supposed to only contain the one code, matching Origin's current format.

Regardless, since you bought a physical copy of the starter pack, with both LN and HELS included, there needs to be a way for you to get all that content.  If Origin won't recognize your ownership of the packs, and you can't install via disc without other codes, you'll need to contact EA customer support.  It would be helpful if you could provide photos of your receipt, the discs, their case (showing that what you bought is specifically the starter pack and not just the base game), and the back of the insert with just the single code.  A support rep should be able to provide you with codes for your packs, or fix whatever is going on with Origin.

https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/

If you happen to get a support rep who's not as helpful as you would like, you can always leave the chat and try again later.  Or, if no one is able to solve your issue, let me know and I'll ask an EA community manager if there's something more you should be doing.

Message 4 of 6 (1,603 Views)

★ Novice

Thanks for your help, I'll try these!

I bought the game about 3 years ago so no longer have the receipt, but I've grabbed some pics of the case and contents so hopefully that will be of some use. It's weird, I installed it digitally too (since it forced me to) and it also automatically installed the Pets expansion pack. I also own this on disc, but hadn't yet attempted to install it because I was trying to sort this out. I'm at a loss for why it automatically gave me Pets, but refuses to give me LN or HELS unless I pay for them again. >.<

Message 5 of 6 (1,588 Views)

★ Novice

I don't know what/how/why but after (3rd or 4th maybe?) uninstall/clearing the cache etc...They loaded.

And then the base game installed via disc seemed to putz out and I couldn't play until I downloaded it from Origin. (again) So disc version of LN, HELS, and Pets (I uninstalled the one Origin auto gave me), Origin version of the base game. I have no idea...But I can play them so I'm grateful. Thanks for your help Standard smile

Message 6 of 6 (1,543 Views)