Unable to adopt stray pets!

by abneyn

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Unable to adopt stray pets!

★ Novice

This has been driving me nuts. I purchased Sims 3 Pets when it came out, and have bought all the expansions since then. However, I have yet to ever befriend a stray cat/dog/horse. As many know, it is hard to get a relationship going with any one stray, because they all have a time limit when visiting your sim's house.

I kinda gave up on the LTW "Animal Rescuer", but in my most recent game I saw a stray dog on the street, and thought- why not? I interacted with him and got him on my lot and invited him inside. One of my sims on the lot is now BFF with this dog, and he has yet to leave since being invited inside. This is the first time I got this high of a relationship with a stray- but there is no 'adopt' option!

Is this a glitch with this one stray? Or is there a glitch with all stray pets? 

Is there something I am missing, is there a way to adopt a stray pet?

Stray BFF

Message 1 of 9 (24,734 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Unable to adopt stray pets!

Hero (Retired)

actually asking it to leave might just work  the next time it comes back click on it again and see if the option to adopt will come up.

View in thread

Message 6 of 9 (29,427 Views)

All Replies

★ Novice

Frown

Message 2 of 9 (24,711 Views)

Hero (Retired)

have you clicked on the dog adopt should be in the pie menu

Message 3 of 9 (24,707 Views)

★ Novice

There is no adopt option whatsoever, its weird, and his relationship to my sim is 100%

Message 4 of 9 (24,704 Views)

★ Novice

I asked the pet to leave, thinking maybe he needed to leave and come back and the option to adopt would be there. Think its been like 2 days or so and the stray dog hasn't come back so i dont know, lol. 

Message 5 of 9 (24,702 Views)

Hero (Retired)

actually asking it to leave might just work  the next time it comes back click on it again and see if the option to adopt will come up.

Message 6 of 9 (29,428 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi, I have found a amazing method to adopt ANY sims in the whole game no downloads or anything! Simply press Ctrl at the same time as Shift at the same time as C so like this Ctrl+Shift+C

There should be a blue thin bar at the top of the screen, type in testingcheatsenabled true after you have done that click enter then u have turned cheat on. So next time you see any sim, stray or pet click them at the same time as pressing shift. There should be a option like add to family, change traits for active sim and change favorite music. Click add sim to family, then the sim will be added you have to have only 5 sims in the family or this wont work if you have any more. This does not work for smaller critters wild horses or racoons.

I hope i helped. Standard smile

Message 7 of 9 (20,084 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I originally managed to get a stray dog surrounded by fences and interact with it a little. But now every time i try to interact with it they cancel the goddamn actions. So, so frustrating. Can someone help me?

Message 8 of 9 (17,421 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Okay so I got to the source of this problem because I've had the same issue.

If you BFF it but it just can't be adopted, it means one of the townies have adopted it.
I have MasterController that got me to figure this out - I wanted to adopt a cat, which was staying over at my Sim's place for a while.

I got to BFFs with it, but no Adopt, and it won't leave.
Needless, I tried what this thread suggested me - ask it to leave. But when I wanted to bring it back, it gave the option to 'have someone bring it over', showing me the Bunch family.

This basically means that they have adopted it (this is how you find out without using mods)

The initial solution may work for glitched pets, I guess.

Apologies for necro, but I just wanted to help people with this

Message 9 of 9 (11,585 Views)