Re: Trying to play this game with a friend using the same world

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Trying to play this game with a friend using the same world

★ Novice

Hi all,

Me and my friend want to play this game IN TURNS and what I mean by that is that every time one of us plays, they will save the game to the cloud and the next time a different person plays they would update their save from the cloud.

I was wondering if thats possible to do and if so how?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 4 (426 Views)

Accepted Solution
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

@nickstep98  The Origin cloud saving system doesn't work for TS3; all game-related files are stored locally, in Documents (or in OneDrive, if it's being stubborn, but that's a bad thing—the game won't find the user folder there and will generate a new one).  So you could easily just pass the entire game folder back and forth if you wanted, or only the existing save, if you prefer.  Here's a list of the other files in your game folder, in case it helps:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html

Edit:  Sorry, wrong link.  Replaced it now.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 4 of 4 (414 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

@nickstep98  Yes, it's possible, but it might be a bit complicated.  The basic idea is simple: you zip (compress) the folder corresponding to your save, upload it to a file sharing site, and your friend downloads it and unzips it again.  The folder for each save is found inside Saves in your game folder; the full path is Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Saves.  So if your save is called SunsetValley, inside Saves you'd find a folder called SunsetValley.sims3.  All of the files inside are necessary, which is why you'd zip up the entire SunsetValley.sims3 folder for your friend to download.

The complicated part is that you and your friend would need to play with the same installed content, or objects would go missing and perhaps even bork your game.  If you played with an expansion pack your friend didn't, or vice versa, the save might not even open without that pack present.  And of course neither of you could play in a world that the other doesn't have installed, whether it's from an expansion, the store, or a custom creator.  So you and your friend would need to make sure that all of your content matched exactly, or at the very least, you'd each have to disable the packs that the other one doesn't own while you're playing your shared save.

In theory, you could exchange your entire TS3 game folder back and forth, saving all the trouble of making sure that the installed content matches.  But in practice, you'd still each need to install your own store content, as the files are encrypted to prevent sharing.  There's a way to handle this too, but again, it's a bit complicated.  If you're interested, though, I can walk you through that.

The easiest way to go about this is probably for each of you to start with a clean game folder.  Then one of you can add whatever mods and/or custom content you want and share the entire game folder with the other.  After the folder is in place (make sure you both test it), you can each install the store content you'd like for this save.  Then you can pass the save folder back and forth without worrying about missing items.

Message 2 of 4 (420 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Thank you for the detailed response!

Im a computer programmer so I know the versions of the game have to match for it to work perfectly and without bugs.

I know we can use programs like dropBox etc.. but I was thinking if it was possible to do so using the origin sync system (which basically updates the save files directly from the cloud and saves us all the nonsense with uploading and download from a third party app). My problem is that I cant seem to find the options to sync my save files with origin or even see the files there.

Thank you!

Edited to remove mention of a practice against EA rules.  -puzzlezaddict

Message 3 of 4 (417 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

@nickstep98  The Origin cloud saving system doesn't work for TS3; all game-related files are stored locally, in Documents (or in OneDrive, if it's being stubborn, but that's a bad thing—the game won't find the user folder there and will generate a new one).  So you could easily just pass the entire game folder back and forth if you wanted, or only the existing save, if you prefer.  Here's a list of the other files in your game folder, in case it helps:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html

Edit:  Sorry, wrong link.  Replaced it now.

Message 4 of 4 (415 Views)