The Sims 3 opens and closes without something happening and no error warning

by t0nai

Original Post

The Sims 3 opens and closes without something happening and no error warning

★★★ Novice

Hey guys!

I know there are a lot of Sims 3 threads, but I have never found anything quite similar to my problem. Ever since I updated my Mac to Mojave the Sims game won‘t launch. Every time I open my game the Application Symbol appears in my Dock for a second, then it disappears again. In other words: Sims starts and stops immediately without anything happening on the screen and without any error message. This happens with Origin in- or uninstalled, I only have the Base Game installed, no CC. I followed every step on that Bluebellflora Guide (Manually uninstalling the game, running the Super patch or even bypassing the launcher) Nothing works. I have tried everything.

I have a late 2013 iMac (21,5“)

Mac OS Mojave 10.14.5

2,7 GHz Intel Core i5

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB 

Thanks for any help, I‘m quite desperate at this point...

Message 1 of 12 (2,364 Views)

Re: The Sims 3 opens and closes without something happening and no error warning

@t0nai  That does sound strange.  For now, leave Origin out of the picture.  (You don't have to uninstall it, just don't open it.)  Under System Preferences, check your settings in Security & Privacy to make sure that your firewall is off (third tab) and you're allowing apps from identified developers as well as the App Store (first tab).  Mojave's security features are more strict than those of its predecessors, but TS3 is certainly still playable.

If this doesn't help, try launching the game while your computer is completely offline.  Since you haven't been able to open it since your reinstall, you won't get very far.  I'm just wondering whether this will change anything.  If you get an error message, please post a screenshot.  You can grab one by pressing cmd-shift-4 and dragging your cursor over the section you want to capture.

Oh, also disable iCloud temporarily.  I have no idea if this has anything to do with it, but the game closes exactly when it would be generating a user folder, the one that lands in Documents.  Maybe iCloud changed its settings when you updated to Mojave; it's been known to do so.  If it's trying and failing to sync or upload Documents to cloud storage, that might explain the problem.

Let me know, and I'll try to figure out what's going on.  And I'll definitely ask Bluebellflora for her thoughts too, when she has time.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 12 (2,355 Views)

The Sims 3 opens and closes without something happening

★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Unfortunately, none of the above helped. I changed my security settings, logged off my iCloud, deactivated my Wifi connection and left origin unopened. Still, the Sims icon appears in my dock for a moment, then the application closes again. 

Message 3 of 12 (2,340 Views)

Re: The Sims 3 opens and closes without something happening and no error warning

★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict I tried running the game on a different user on my Mac. The „unknown error“ message popped up. Then I tried bypassing the launcher by changing the info.plist file. A new error showed.

„The Sims 3 - Unable to start game. Service initialization failed (0x0175dcbb)“

Message 4 of 12 (2,334 Views)

[ Edited ]

@t0nai  That's actually good news; the unknown error we understand and can usually fix (not always, but usually).  Is there anything different about that new user account, like is one of them admin and the other not, or are the settings different?  This is for my curiosity and future troubleshooting; feel free to leave the question alone.

In your case, with only the base game installed, you'll need to edit two .sgr files in TS3's program files to force the game to recognize your graphics card.  Some iMacs come with dedicated graphics cards, and others don't.  The specs you listed refer to an integrated card, but if you have both, the dedicated card might not have been listed in the initial specs.  So please go to About This Mac again, then click System Report, then Graphics/Displays, and let me know which card(s) you see listed.  Once I know which card you have, I can send you instructions for the edits, or a link to instructions if Bluebellflora has already prepared the text for your card.

Also, undo the edit you made to bypass the launcher.  That can come later, if you want.

Message 5 of 12 (2,325 Views)

★★★ Novice

I only have the integrated Intel Iris pro 1536 MB card.

This is what my report says (unfortunately in German, but I guess the most important stuff is understandable):

Chipsatz-Modell: Intel Iris Pro

Typ: GPU

Bus: Integriert

VRAM (dynamisch, maximal): 1536 MB

Hersteller: Intel

Geräte-ID: 0x0d22

Versions-ID: 0x0008

Metal: Unterstützt, Funktionsset macOS GPUFamily1 v4

Displays:

iMac:

Displaytyp: LCD

Auflösung: 1920 x 1080 (1080p FHD - Full High Definition)

UI sieht aus wie: 1920 x 1080

Framepuffertiefe: 24-Bit Farbe (ARGB8888)

Hauptdisplay: Ja

Synchronisierung: Aus

Eingeschaltet: Ja

Rotation: Unterstützt

Helligkeit automatisch anpassen: Nein

Verbindungstyp: DisplayPort

Last time I checked Bluebellflora only had instructions for the late 2013 21“ iMac (iMac 14,1) with the Intel Iris Pro 5200

Message 6 of 12 (2,249 Views)

@t0nai  You're right, the German isn't an issue; all the important information is easy to find regardless.

You do in fact have an Intel 5200, even if it's not listed that way.  I checked Bluebellflora's files, just to be sure, and the device ID she lists matches yours, so it should work fine.  You can download the text to add to your files here:

https://bluebellflora.com/2018/07/24/sims-3-mac-players-i-need-your-help/#Filesconfirmed

Be sure to test in the alternate user account, since that's the one that's being more cooperative, relatively speaking.  An unknown error is better than no response at all.

Message 7 of 12 (2,246 Views)

★★★ Novice

I changed my .sgr files, but I still don't get the game to work. On the alternate user I get thte "Unknown error" message, and on my main user nothing happens.

Message 8 of 12 (2,140 Views)

[ Edited ]

@t0nai  Can you post screenshots of the edits you did?  Sometimes TextEdit messes with the formatting.

And I'd also like to see part of your deviceconfig, if you have one—just the entry between Graphics Device Info and Options, so from about 25 to 40 lines down.

Message 9 of 12 (2,131 Views)

★★★ Novice

This is what my edits look like. I'm not quite sure where to find the deviceconfig.  (I still don't have the The Sims 3 game file, because I could never launch the game after reinstalling)

Message 10 of 12 (2,126 Views)