The Sims 3 Season keeps crashing on my MAC HELP!!!

by jasnray7

Original Post

game crash

★★ Novice

my game is starting to crash ever since i downloaded sims 3 seasons everytime im on build mode after like 20 minutes or so the game crashes and this is what i get

Process: cider [11278]
Path: /Applications/The Sims 3.localized/The Sims3.app/Contents/Resources/AddOns/The Sims 3 Seasons.app/Contents/MacOS/cider
Identifier: com.transgaming.thesims3ep08
Version: 1.0. (1.0)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000ffffffff
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

please is there anything i can do, to stop this

Message 11 of 95 (35,633 Views)

Re: The Sims 3 Season keeps crashing on my MAC HELP!!!

★★★★★ Apprentice

I have the same issue too, as do alot of us mac players. I've heard a rumour they are working on a fix.

Message 12 of 95 (35,988 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I've been having the same exact problem every I start my game, no matter what town or family I use my game crashes... I hope EA fixes the problem soon I've been playing Sims 3 on my Mac for about a year now an this is the first time that it started doing this after installing seasons 

Message 13 of 95 (35,960 Views)

★★★ Newbie

has anyone found a solution?

Message 14 of 95 (35,949 Views)

★★ Novice

its a relief that im not the only one, i really hope they find a fix to this soon because i too am itching to play

Message 15 of 95 (35,914 Views)

wont open!!

★★★ Newbie

My sims 3 wont open when I click on it, it says "unknown error occured". I have uninstalled, re-enstalled, tryed to play just the base game and with my expansion packs. My mac is uptodate and so is my game. PLEASE help I have spent so much money on all my packs etc and Im getting really fustrated. please help!

Message 16 of 95 (35,601 Views)

Sims 3 Crash

★★★ Newbie

I just bought the Sims 3 and haven't been able to play it. I can create sims just fine, however the game always crashes just as I'm about to move them in and start to play. It's incredibly frustrating.

My computer exceeds the minimum system requirements needed to play. I do not have any custom content. I don't have any expansion packs. And the patches don't seem to work at all. 

Help.

Mac OS X

Message 17 of 95 (35,632 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Okay so for now, i have found a fix and have been able to play for over 1 1/2 hour(s) without crashing / freezing ( except once ) [knock on wood]

I got a reply from EA and they said this:

Hello Kali,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts.

Before I address your issue, I apologize that your issue has remained unresolved for so long. 

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. I understand that you are facing freezing issue with The Sims 3 Seasons. I know such instances are very disturbing especially when we love and enjoy playing the game.

If you have a variety of programs running in the background on your computer, they may be using a considerable amount of system resources. Closing these unnecessary background processes will help boost system performance in your game, as well as free up system resources which may be conflicting with the game.
1. From the Finder menu open the Go menu and select Utilities.
2. Open the Activity Monitor program.
3. In the top right cornor, make sure the My Processes option is selected from the pull down menu.
4. Highlight the programs listed one at a time and click the Quit Process button in the top left.
5. When the confirmation window appears select Force Quit to close the program.
6. Repeat those steps until only the following four are listed: 

Dock 
Finder 
LoginWindow 
Activity Monitor 

Note: there will be other programs that either will not close, or will re-appear after being closed. Those processes can be skipped.
7. Close the activity monitor and attempt to run the game.

Be aware that this is only a temporary change, restarting the system will restore it to the default state. If closing these programs helps resolve performance issues you may want to go through them one by one to narrow down which program is causing the conflict.

UPDATE APPLE SOFTWARE

Run the Apple updater and see if there are any new updates for your OSX;
1) Click on the Apple Menu.
2) Click on "Software Update…".
3) The Mac will check for updates. Click install and follow the on screen instructions to install and updates found.

CLEAR YOUR CACHE FOR THE SIMS 3 ON A MAC
https://help.ea.com/article/how-to-clear-your-cache-for-the-sims-3-on-a-mac

If issue persists then to best troubleshoot your issue, I'm going to need additional system information. Please send me this information. To do this: 

1. Click on the Apple menu.
2. Select "About This Mac".
3. Click the "More Info..." button within the "About This Mac" window.
4. Select "Save as..." from the "File" menu within the System Profiler application and save the report using the Rich Text Format.
5. Finally, attach the document saved to your email reply.

P.S. Clearing some activities did help, like closing Safari & i closed some other things, and it ran faster.

Clearing cache is also a huge thing and helped as well and i have seen many people say that you need to do this EVERY time before you play

So i do, and it works!

Also i installed the mods: Errortrap and overwatch and that has seemed to really help me!

Be sure you install it right, they have instructions how, here is the links to the mods:

(scroll down to "The Mods")

http://nraas.wikispaces.com/home

Look on the left side for OVERWATCH and ERRORTRAP and it will say what it does!

Link to install the MODS folder ( to put the two mods i listed in )

http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files

Follow the instructions and then drag the two mods to the mods>packages folder!

I really hoped i helped! I researched for over a week to find an answer and even reinstalled my game 3 times!

i hope this helps everyone, and i hope my game and everyones game keeps / starts working! Confusedmileyhappy::heart:

Message 18 of 95 (35,857 Views)

Constant Crashing

★★★ Newbie

I got The Sims 3 in May of 2012 and it worked on my Mac fine. Maybe some crashes here or there but I think that's just to be expected with The Sims...

Anyway, I got busy over the summer and with school, and I stopped playing the game...until now. I put the game in and:

A. there's software/patch updates...when I say "yes" to download them, they either don't download, or they "act" like they're downloading but then when I try to play the game, the same software/patch updates pop up as if they never downloaded...

or B. the game opens fine, I can make sims perfectly fine, but when I enter a lot, the game crashes. It's only when I enter a lot. It freezes after a few seconds, then crashes and I get a little pop up from Apple telling me that the game has closed unexpectedly or something along those lines.

Any help would be great! I don't know what to do!

Message 19 of 95 (35,606 Views)

sims 3 keeps crashing Mac

★★★ Newbie

Ok i have sims 3 and most of the EPs and SPs including the newest edition seasons on my Mac. But for a while now my game has been randomly crashing. It'll say it encountered a problem and ask if i want to reopen or it will say something about the cider. This happens at random times sometimes 20 minutes into gameplay sometimes 4 hours in. Last night when i installed seasons i uninstalled and reinstalled everything and it still crashes. its crashed on me 3 times today. Its very annoying any advice on how to solve this issue?

Message 20 of 95 (35,754 Views)