Re: Sims 3 takes 3 hours to load then crashes after 10 min. of play

by honeydeer2

Original Post

Sims 3 takes 3 hours to load then crashes after 10 min. of play

★★ Novice

My Sims 3 game takes three hours to load then runs for ten minutes and then crashes. Any help would be appreciated, I love this game but I have chatted with IT three times to no avail.

Message 1 of 14 (1,673 Views)

@honeydeer2  There are plenty of reasons why Sims 3 would crash, and a few why it would take so long to load.  To narrow things down, it would be great to have more information, particularly a dxdiag.  You can run one and attach the results to a post:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Or, if you're on a mac, please list your specs, as described in this post:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/475...

Please also list the packs you have installed.

P.S.  When you see this, I'll move the thread to a dedicated Sims help section.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 14 (1,660 Views)

★★ Novice

I did this for IT but did it again to post. 

Message 3 of 14 (1,657 Views)

[ Edited ]

@honeydeer2  I've moved your thread to the Sims 3 section.

You have several different errors, most related to either failed Windows updates or tools that manage those updates.  If you don't want to update your OS right now, you should at the very least run a couple of system checks.  Here's how:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

If you don't get any errors, try launching TS3 again, but this time, with a clean game folder.  Pull your existing game folder out of Documents and onto your desktop, and when you launch the game, a new folder will spawn with no content.  Start a new save and test.  Does the game run any better now?  Don't worry about your missing content; you can add that back later, once TS3 is working properly again.

If you can load and play a new save without any trouble, then you can start testing that other content by moving it from your old game folder to your new one in batches.  Any batch that makes the game crash or take too long to load needs to be split and tested again until you've found the problem file(s).  And while you're troubleshooting, be sure to delete the five cache files in your game folder each time you quit.  For reference, those files are:

• CASPartCache.package
  • compositorCache.package
  • scriptCache.package
  • simCompositorCache.package
  • socialCache.package

If you can't even properly load a new save in a clean game folder, please run another dxdiag after the crash.  I'd like to see the error the game throws.  The one in your current dxdiag points to a specific .dll file that may be corrupt, but it also might just be that your computer was using that file when the game crashed.  (Normally, a corrupt MSVCR80.dll would cause an immediate crash, but at any rate it can be replaced if necessary.)

It would also be helpful to know which packs you have installed.

Message 4 of 14 (1,638 Views)

★★ Novice

It gave me error 1726

Message 5 of 14 (1,623 Views)

★★ Novice

How do I delete the cache's. I'm sorry I'm pretty new at this new computer.

Message 6 of 14 (1,610 Views)

★★ Novice

I have High end Loft and Late night expansions

Message 7 of 14 (1,608 Views)

[ Edited ]

@honeydeer2  Which command gave you error 1726?  Is that the extent of the error message, or was there more to it?  You can take a screenshot and attach it to a post here, if you want; the error will probably recur if you run the command again.  Hit Windows key-shift-S and drag your cursor over the area of the screen you want to capture, then open Paint or another image eding app and use crtl-V to paste the screenshot.

This should be addressed before you go about trying to get TS3 up and running again, but when that happens, you delete your caches by dragging the files I listed to the trash.  They're all in your TS3 game folder in Documents, right on the top level.  If you don't see the .package part, it's because your OS is set to hide extensions, but it's fine; they're the same files.

Message 8 of 14 (1,602 Views)

★★ Novice

I deleted the caches. Here is the screen shot.

Message 9 of 14 (1,576 Views)

[ Edited ]

@honeydeer2  There are a few different causes for that particular error, and thus a few different potential solutions.  The one that takes the least intervention is updating your operating system.  Click on the Windows key in the lower left corner of your screen, and select Settings (the gear icon) and then Update and Security.

If going through Settings doesn't work, you can force an update directly from Microsoft's website:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Under the heading "Windows 10 October Update now available," click the button to "Update now."

Once your computer is updated, try running the commands again.  If you still get the same error (or a different one), there are other steps you can take to get around it.  But with all the errors in your dxdiag, it's really important to get things straightened out.  TS3 may well be crashing because of the update issues, but even if it's not, the overall health of your computer is more important.

Message 10 of 14 (1,562 Views)