Re: Sims 3 only runs without custom content, but I don't have any custom content

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Sims 3 only runs without custom content, but I don't have any custom content.

★★★ Novice

My game will only run if I click "run without custom content." but i dont have any custom content installed!

Message 1 of 14 (1,278 Views)

Re: Sims 3 only runs without custom content, but I don't have any custom content

@ayyyeden  Did you ever have any cc or mods?  And if so, did you delete your cache files after removing them?   Did you uninstall simpack content from the launcher and/or remove the associated .dbc files from DCCache?  It's also a good idea to delete everything from DCBackup except for the ccmerged.package file.

Regardless of what you've done so far, you can try pulling your TS3 folder out of Documents and onto your desktop.  When you launch the game again, a clean folder will spawn with no content, third-party or otherwise.  If you load a fresh game a couple of times and don't get this message, you can move your existing saves from the old folder into the new one, along with your .ebc files from your DCCache folder.  (These files contain store content, if you have any, and can become corrupt, in which case it's often better to trash them and reinstall store content from scratch.)

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 14 (1,258 Views)

★★★ Novice

I hope you can help me, because no one on EA support seems to know what to do. 
Here is a list of things i have done, (I have tried your solution, but thank you for the guidance)

Running in Compatibility mode. Repair Game through Origin. Uninstalling the base game through Origin along with all my extra packs. Uninstalled the game completely from my harddrive and reinstalled. Reinstalling Origin. Clearing Origin cache. Clearing Sims 3 Cache and any unnecessary files. Lowering my graphics settings. Using an FPS Cap. Enabling VSync. Running both Origin and The Sims 3 in Administrator mode. Installing The Super Patch. Removing ALL CC and Mods. Using the "run without custom content" box (EVEN THOUGH I HAVE NO CC INSTALLED.) Resetting to factory settings without uninstalling.

Message 3 of 14 (1,244 Views)

★★★ Novice

Also I forgot to clarify that last night was the first time I was able to actually load the game. It was pretty late so I was just happy to have it back up and running again, but now it is not working again at all. It doesn't go past the sims 3 launcher

Message 4 of 14 (1,242 Views)

[ Edited ]

@ayyyeden  For future troubleshooting reference, there are a couple of steps you listed that are unnecessary and might do more harm than good.  Compatibility mode hasn't been helpful in a while, and the Super Patch should never be used on a PC/Origin install.

Also, capping frame rates is absolutely required on any relatively new system, as TS3 doesn't have its own fps limiter.  On an Origin install, you need to use TS3.exe (not TS3w.exe from earlier patches) to set up a profile for the game.

Just checking, but when you uninstalled the game, did you clean the registry?  The uninstall process can miss some files that might interfere with a subsequent install.  And uninstalling Origin is also more complicated than simply trashing the application.  I guess if I were in your situation, I'd manually uninstall both TS3 and Origin, trash or otherwise remove the game folder from Documents (if you still have one), clean the registry, and start over.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/manually-uninstalling-origin/

If none of this is working, a dxdiag might be in order.  You can attach it to your post using the paper clip icon.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/HOW-TO-DxDiag-PC-Only/m-p/1049584/thread-id/47181

Message 5 of 14 (1,231 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you. After trying Compatibility Mode, I reset the compatibility back to normal after it did nothing for me Disappointed 

And yes, I have uninstalled Origin "the Hard way" and in the "normal way" as well.

Some one on EA help suggested I should be using the full version of origin instead of OriginThin, so I have done both. I have uninstalled and reinstalled them both before. (I am using Origin full version as of now.) 

I will attach my DxDiag, and completely uninstall Origin and Sims 3 one more time, as I am running out of hope here Devil 

Thank you for telling me about the Super Patch, I have deleted the patch from my files but I don't believe they've came off the game itself. Uninstalling Origin and Sims 3 again should get rid of the patch (right?) 

Message 6 of 14 (1,214 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you. After trying Compatibility Mode, I reset the compatibility back to normal after it did nothing for me Disappointed 

And yes, I have uninstalled Origin "the Hard way" and in the "normal way" as well.

Some one on EA help suggested I should be using the full version of origin instead of OriginThin, so I have done both. I have uninstalled and reinstalled them both before. (I am using Origin full version as of now.) 

I will attach my DxDiag, and completely uninstall Origin and Sims 3 one more time, as I am running out of hope here Devil 

Thank you for telling me about the Super Patch, I have deleted the patch from my files but I don't believe they've came off the game itself. Uninstalling Origin and Sims 3 again should get rid of the patch (right?) 

Message 7 of 14 (1,119 Views)

[ Edited ]

@ayyyeden  Yes, the effects of the Super Patch would be eliminated with a complete uninstall of TS3.

It's possible that you have the Creator's Update for Windows 10, and that it's interfering with your ability to play.  This was a bigger problem a year ago than now, but you could try disabling the more intrusive features to see if it helps.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15902876/#Comment_15902876

@roberta591  Any ideas?  There's a dxdiag above.

Message 8 of 14 (1,189 Views)

★★★ Novice

I just checked my windows version, and its running the most current version (I think so at least), update 1803. 

I actually just factory reset my pc earlier today because i mainly got this pc to play the sims. (Its okay, I didn't really have much on my pc cause it's only couple months old) 

My expansions are still downloading but as i could remember when i freshly got my computer Sims 3 still had issues, namely the instance with "The sims 3 has stopped working" about 5 minutes in each time, it all just went downhill from there lol

Message 9 of 14 (1,182 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@ayyyeden What motherboard do you have in your computer? Can you hear the fans of the Radeon RX 580 speed up when you play the game? Is the monitor plugged into the Radeon card or the motherboard video port? How old is the video card? Have you bench marked the video card to see if there is an issue 3D video? When you re install the operating system there are some settings you need to do for this game. The most important setting is in the control panel - programs and features - you need to enable .net framework. Just enable both 3.5 and 4.7 and reboot the computer. The error you are getting may be a hardware issue of overheating - the fans on the Radeon card should be noticeably louder running a 3D graphical game. New computers are not immune to defective components although rare I have seen bad memory modules and bad graphics cards out of the box.

Message 10 of 14 (1,164 Views)