Re: Sims 3 launcher won't open

by NurseNicole81

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 3 launcher won't open

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I have a problem. I ran the sims 3 super patch and the launcher won't even open. how can I revert back. I was trying to install some stores content and can't

Message 1 of 11 (1,718 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]

@NurseNicole81  It sounds like it would be easier to just download all your store content into the new folder, then move your saves over.  (That's certainly simpler than moving everything else around.)  In that case, your saves will each have their own folder inside Saves, in your old game folder.  Those individual folders, or the entire Saves folder, can just be moved to the new game folder.

If you want to keep any households or lots you've created, specifically their bin entries (the ones you use to place them in-game), those will be in Library.  Be sure not to move over any Library entries from your store stuff, or you may have duplicates.  You can tell them apart by their timestamps—the households and lots will have the date and time from when you saved your work in-game.

Yes, you can drag a folder from one place to another.  You may want to copy your saves though, just so you have backups in case you need them.  Right-click to select copy, and right-click to paste where you want them.  Again, you can do this for the entire Saves folder if it's easier.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 7 of 11 (1,672 Views)

All Replies

@NurseNicole81  I split your comment into its own thread because the other thread was several years old and didn't address your issue.

A bit more information would help here.  Are you running Windows or macOS, and what kind of install is this?  (Origin, Steam, disc, etc.)  Do you get any error messages?  Have you tried removing your TS3 game folder from Documents to see if it makes any difference?  And which packs do you currently have installed?

Message 2 of 11 (1,707 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hi,

When i got home from work, i looked into deleting the patch - i found it under my downloads - but prior to deleting it, i decided to try and run the game again and it worked.  there are only 3 items i cant install - the industrial oven, roaring skies and the greenhouse.  Not sure why, as i had them in previous laptops.

anyway. im on windows vista or 10 i think. Its origin and not had any other concerns. Thanks.

World adventures, university, supernatural, showtime, seasons, pets, mastersuited stuff, 70s, 80s and 90s, island paradise, highend lot stuff, and ambitions.

Message 3 of 11 (1,690 Views)

@NurseNicole81  I'm surprised that the patch worked.  The Super Patch is not designed to be run on an Origin install, unless it's one that hasn't been updated in over five years.  The version of Origin-linked games has been 1.69 since January 2014, and the Super Patch is supposed to bring the patch level up to 1.67.  Running it on a game that was installed via Origin can break the entire install, in which case it's necessary to uninstall, clean the computer's registry, and start over.

However, if your game is running smoothly, maybe the Super Patch did nothing at all, and any concerns about it can be put aside.  The store items not installing is a different matter entirely; store content is installed into the user game folder in Documents, not the program files.  When store stuff refuses to install, the issue is usually a corrupt file in the game folder, and the solution is removing or bypassing it.

To that end, there's an easy way and a hard way to get your store stuff installed.  The easy way is to install everything into a clean folder and then move your saves and other content into it from your old folder.  The advantage is it's more straightforward.  The disadvantage is that if you have a lot of store stuff, it might take a while.  Drag your TS3 game folder out of Documents and onto your desktop, open the launcher to create a clean game folder, and start downloading.  It's a good idea to download and install items in batches of no more than about six at a time, as the launcher doesn't handle large amounts of data very well.  Worlds should be handled separately, not in a batch with anything else.  Be sure to test after installing, so you can make sure nothing has been corrupted.

When moving content from your old game folder to your new one, not everything has to be brought over.  Here's a list of every file in your game folder, including explanations of what they are and whether they're important:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html

If you'd rather go the hard way, the first thing to do is to check your launcher's Installed Content tab for those three store items.  If you see them, uninstall them.  (You may not see them, which is fine.)  Then pull your game folder out of Documents, open the launcher to create a clean folder, then download the missing items and install them.  The world should be installed on its own, and then you can deal with the other two.  When they're installed, launch the game and start a new save; place the items (including the premium content that comes with the world) and have a sim or two test them.

If everything works, you can quit and move your content from your old game folder to the new one.  The world goes into InstalledWorlds, the greenhouse should have an entry in Library, and all three will have content bundled into an .ebc file in DCCache.  These can all go into their respective folders inside your old game folder, although the DCCache file needs to be renamed so that it's numbered one higher than your current highest .ebc file.  So if your old game folder has dcdb0.ebc through dcdb4.ebc, your newly created one will be dcdb5.ebc.  You can ignore the .dbc files, which are bundled custom content.

Finally, you'll need to install the rest of your premium items into the new game folder, to finish rebuilding your ccmerged.package file in DCBackup.  This file is necessary for premium content to work.  After the other premium content is installed, you can just delete the old ccmerged from your previous game folder and replace it with your new one.

Message 4 of 11 (1,680 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Im a bit confused by all this info as im not tech savvy but im currently downloading (then will try install) the 3 items not done before. Anything else, im not worried about as i only loaded up the game last week after 4 yrs not playing. The only thing i am concerned about - under the saves in the old folder - how to i move the 3 saves back into the new game please?
Message 5 of 11 (1,675 Views)

★★★★ Novice
i am assuming i just drag across what i want from one to the other
Message 6 of 11 (1,673 Views)

[ Edited ]

@NurseNicole81  It sounds like it would be easier to just download all your store content into the new folder, then move your saves over.  (That's certainly simpler than moving everything else around.)  In that case, your saves will each have their own folder inside Saves, in your old game folder.  Those individual folders, or the entire Saves folder, can just be moved to the new game folder.

If you want to keep any households or lots you've created, specifically their bin entries (the ones you use to place them in-game), those will be in Library.  Be sure not to move over any Library entries from your store stuff, or you may have duplicates.  You can tell them apart by their timestamps—the households and lots will have the date and time from when you saved your work in-game.

Yes, you can drag a folder from one place to another.  You may want to copy your saves though, just so you have backups in case you need them.  Right-click to select copy, and right-click to paste where you want them.  Again, you can do this for the entire Saves folder if it's easier.

Message 7 of 11 (1,673 Views)

★★★★ Novice
thankyou - this has helped a lot - there was only one house i designed that my sims are currently living in. Im not really one for downloading CC either - ive only just started with a couple of hairdos... Im assuming, if i dont transfer the house over from library, yet it is in game, i can enter it from town edit mode and save to the library from there?
Message 8 of 11 (1,669 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Novice
ok i just got this message when installing roaring heights.... your video card was not found in our database. your graphics settings have been set as high as possible, but you may wish to reduce them if you are experiencing poor performance...
Message 9 of 11 (1,661 Views)

@NurseNicole81  Yes, you can easily save the house in Edit Town, and it'll get its own entry in the bin and in Library.  And if you've just started downloading cc, then you can download it again, or else find it in Downloads inside your old game folder.  The Sims3Packs should still be there, and if you move them to Downloads in your new game folder, you can install them through the launcher again.

The video card error message is nothing to worry about; it just means that your card is too new to be included in TS3's database, which was last updated in 2013.  It's not usually necessary to get your card recognized, although sometimes it helps just a bit with performance or graphics.  If you'd like to do it, I can send instructions by PM.  (We don't generally post the info in public because the instructions are specific to a particular card, and using them for a different card can have some pretty disconcerting results.)

The information I'd need is the first 40 or so lines of your deviceconfig, up to where the long list of game options starts.  Your user and machine names are about 25 lines down, but you can delete those and copy and paste the rest into a post.  Or, if you'd rather not bother, you can leave it alone.  You should only get the error message when your options.ini file is replaced, as it was when you created the clean game folder.

Message 10 of 11 (1,636 Views)