Re: Sims 3 launcher running in tray while playing.

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@puzzlezaddict

I feel kind of silly now, I wonder if the launcher issue crashing or having to manually exit it had to do with the login issue the launcher was having. It sounds like EA looked into the issue and it's been fixed. See EA_Mage's post in the thread linked below.

Problems with launcher
https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/Problems-with-launcher/m-p/6998106#M231704

@EA_Mage  Could the two have something to do with each other?

Message 21 of 36 (16,757 Views)

@172e3cda00349872  I did see the messages that went out from Mage this morning—there were a number of threads on the subject—and we're all happy for the timely fix on EA's end.  But the launcher and login problems are distinct.  Even with the login issue solved, the launcher is still running in the tray and claims to be uploading if closed before launching the game. This is true whether the player is or has ever logged in while using the current TS3 game folder in Documents.

However, I think I figured out how to address this issue.  For those who don't want to play offline, or who cannot or would rather not bypass the launcher, this problem can be solved simply by deleting the Sims3logs file in the game folder (Documents\EA\TS3).  When that file is absent, the launcher won't run in the tray, and it won't throw an alert about an upload in progress when the launcher is closed.  I've never seen any claims that Sims3logs contains necessary information, or that deleting it has consequences for ongoing games, although I haven't experimented with my main game folder.  (If anyone knows what this file does, or any reason it might be important, please post here.)

Anyway, thanks for keeping an eye on the issue.  It's always good to have more knowledgeable people working on a problem.

Tagging @misstressfox  @TrexterZiam  @Sonshine77  in case they're still interested.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 22 of 36 (16,740 Views)

★★★ Novice

You can delete that log file okay - but - it just rebuilds itself each time you play.

And, using the launcher icon - it STILL will not close the launcher when you hit X to close it.  It's permanently trying to upload something.

I do take screenshots and then I rename them and move them over to my private files ... I don't post them online.  If others here also do the same thing - then perhaps there's a screenshot count "flag" that has toggled in an ini file or something.

I know the game is still full of errors - all those negative 1 (-1) totals.  Two minus two doesn't equal negative 1 and that issue has plagued other parts of the game since day 1.  MAYBE the screenshot count flag also has that negative 1 problem.  I don't remember if that's a memory leak error or a divide by zero error.  Regardless ... MAYBE it's the screenshot count.

Like the game got confused when it took screenshots and never got to upload any of them by the time it totaled 99 + 1.

I can play offline now using the bypass method.  I don't like doing that; but hey, whatever works.

Message 23 of 36 (16,734 Views)

[ Edited ]

@TrexterZiam  When I deleted the Sims3logs file, I could open and close the launcher as many times as I wanted without getting the uploading message, whether I was logged in or not.  But after reading your comment, I spawned another clean game folder, loaded a new save, took 109 screenshots (because it turns out I can't count as well as I thought), saved the game, and quit.  Once again, both errors issues resurfaced, but when I deleted the Sims3logs file again, both issues went away.  I never deleted anything else, nor did I move my screenshots out of the game folder.  Perhaps your system is behaving differently than mine, but deleting the one file seems to do the trick for me.

And yes, the file will regenerate and needs to be deleted every time you quit the game, but many of us clear our cache files after every session anyway, so for us it wouldn't be that big a deal to add one more file to the list.

I should reiterate that you don't need to play offline and bypass the launcher; one or the other will suffice.  So if online play is your goal, you can just use the launcher bypass without bothering with any of the other fixes.  You, or anyone who can't bypass the launcher, could even start the game offline and then reconnect at the Main Menu, logging in there to get the benefits of playing online, and the launcher would still probably behave itself.

Message 24 of 36 (16,726 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@puzzlezaddict

Ah bummer, you're right it's not fixed. I just tested it again a couple times with just opening and closing the launcher (not running the game) and still get the upload process error.

I have noticed just like you mentioned - deleting the Sims3Logs.xml and Sims3LauncherLogFile.log from the Sims 3 folder is a great work-around. I usually delete those files along with the cache files just after I exit the game and don't have any problems.

In testing the launcher just now - basically opening the launcher and closing it a few times, it gave me the upload process error. Looking in the Sims 3 folder it only shows the Sims3LauncherLogFile.log

It does not show the Sims3Logs.xml

I don't play logged in. I don't log in unless I'm downloading stuff from the store. But haven't needed to do that for a long while as I've downloaded all owned store content earlier this year into a new folder and backed that up.

I'm not sure what really triggers the error other than just opening it up. I too use it to check on my screenshots and hop out of game when using fullscreen mode.

I've tested the start game offline, and open the launcher while offline. If you close it while offline - it closes without issue. If you go back online while still in game, and launcher open. It will give you the upload process error. As some how it detects it's back online and will try to call home so to speak.

Message 25 of 36 (16,711 Views)

★★★ Novice

Correct in that deleting just the log.xml the launcher works correctly - but - as soon as you play it rebuilds the file (minus all the accumulated specs it records) and then the subsequent start of the launcher is SOStuff again - won't close because it's in permanent uploading mode.

Thank you for testing out my screenshot theory.  I think you are correct, the log file is the problem, that is what it is permanently uploading and gets stuck going nowhere.  Even so, deleting that file is a one shot fix and it is re-broken again as soon as you play the game again.

Message 26 of 36 (16,700 Views)

★★ Pro

@TrexterZiam

Right, that's why I mentioned deleting the Sims3Logs.xml and Sims3LauncherLogFile.log from the Sims 3 folder is a great work-around.

It's not a fix, but it's a relief that's there's a work-around. Standard smile

Message 27 of 36 (16,681 Views)

@172e3cda00349872  @TrexterZiam  How about an even better workaround?

But first, a disclaimer:  This approach worked well for me—I could login, load, and save, with no apparent ill effects.  However, I never tried to download or install any store or custom content, nor did I export or upload anything of my own.  I also tested on a throwaway game folder, and I suggest that anyone else trying this out do the same, or at the very least keep a backup of your existing game folder until you're satisfied with the results.

Again, the issues with the launcher running in the tray and claiming to be uploading when closed out can both be remedied by removing the Sims3Logs file from the TS3 game folder in Documents.  (As @172e3cda00349872  has mentioned, the Sims3LauncherLogFile may also be involved, although this has not been the case for me in particular.)  But even better, the files' properties can be changed in a way that disallows whatever nonsense has been going on with the launcher.  The path is:

Right-click on the affected file, Properties > Security (second tab) > Edit; highlight "Admin" and check the box to deny "read"

This was enough to make the launcher behave as normal on my Windows 10 setup, but if it's necessary to go further, checking all the "deny" boxes for Admin, System, and <username> appears to have no negative effects on the game.  And this change can be undone just as easily, simply by unchecking the boxes again.

Special thanks to @igazor  for his insight.  I don't want to make him uncomfortable by gushing all over this thread, so I'll just say that we all know he's wonderful.

Message 28 of 36 (19,312 Views)

★★ Pro

Thank you to both @puzzlezaddict and @igazor for that awesome tip!! I tried it earlier today and have had no problems using the launcher, even installed a few Sims3Pack files without any issues.

I don't know why I didn't think to try that tip on the files before. I do the same trick for the FeaturedItems folder. When ever I make a new Sims 3 folder.

If I could give more XP points I would!! - Like tons more Wink

Message 29 of 36 (16,630 Views)

@172e3cda00349872  Thanks so much for sharing the the info about the launcher installs.  It's good to hear that everything still works as it should.  I don't think any of us want to have to scrap this workaround and start from scratch again.

If you do run into any trouble, though, please post back so we can try to sort it out.  It's always good to have a few different people looking over the issues that crop up, especially now that the game is out of development and players have to figure out these things for ourselves.

Message 30 of 36 (16,617 Views)