Sims 3 game keeps lagging, I have a HP Notebook 15, Do i need new PC??

by Cayluhhb

Original Post

Sims 3 game keeps lagging, I have a HP Notebook 15, Do i need new PC??

★★ Novice

My laptop is a HP Notebook 15, and i'm very confused about why my sims 3 game lags, why it lags, and if it's my fault, the games fault, or the laptops fault. I've tried my best to minimize the space i use on my laptop just to play TS3, and i see that it makes no difference whether i keep my laptop in order or not. My Sims 3 settings are all on low, except for sim detail and object detail. I do not know what else to try.

P.S. I am looking to get a new gaming laptop/desktop for Christmas, and just wanted to know any suggestions... (Price range is $700-800)

Here are my PC specs: 

Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_ltsb_escrow.181015-1847)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP 15 Notebook PC
BIOS: F.33
Processor: AMD A8-6410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics (4 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 7104MB RAM
Page File: 3053MB used, 5342MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.17415 64bit Unicode

I don't know if this matters too, but here's the other PC info i found:

Card name: AMD Radeon(TM) R5 Graphics
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: AMD Radeon(TM) R4 Graphics (0x9851)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Type: Full Device
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9851&SUBSYS_8015103C&REV_05
Display Memory: 4333 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1005 MB
Shared Memory: 3328 MB
Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: unknown
Monitor Id: CMN15AB
Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (60.026Hz)
Output Type: Internal

Message 1 of 7 (1,071 Views)

Re: Sims 3 game keeps lagging, I have a HP Notebook 15, Do i need new PC??

@Cayluhhb  I'd still like to see a full dxdiag on this computer—you can attach it to a post here using the Browse button.  It would also be helpful to know which packs you have installed and what world you're currently playing in.  Having said that, it looks like your specs could easily be the source of your lag.  I don't think your computer would handle the most demanding EPs (Pets, Seasons, then ITF and IP) very well.

Still, there are steps you can take to manage the game, if you haven't already.  Aside from which packs you're running and which world you're currently using, it would help to know whether the issues show up in a new save, whether you routinely delete your cache files, how much (if any) cc you use, any mods you have in play, etc.

On the other hand, if you'd like to simply get a new computer that can run TS3 on high settings, people can help with that too.  A laptop might be right on the edge of your budget, as laptops will cost more and deliver slightly weaker performance for the same components.  However, this particular desktop (currently on sale for $650) is highly recommended and will meet your needs:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077QDM2DP/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

If you'd like a few more options, or would rather have a laptop, I or someone else can poke around a bit.  Please list your country though (in case it's not the U.S.) as well as anything else you'd like your new computer to be able to do.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 7 (1,052 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Cayluhhb  First the resolution of 1366x768 is an odd resolution. It is the highest resolution your system can accurately display without adding more hardware. My Samsung Galaxy S6 phone is 4K resolution. I wouldn't recommend anything lass then 1080p for a gaming rig. The AMD A8 has no true dedicated video memory thus the video frame memory is borrowed from main memory. As memory is swapped to and from virtual memory is one way where lag is introduced. If I remember correctly the cpu clock is divided among the A series cores which means the more cores that are actives the slower the cores are. Windows 8 was not a good gaming platform and even Microsoft acknowledged this. Windows 8 is Direct X 11 (DX 11) and Windows 10 is Direct X (DX12). Although Windows 10 as a service may be considered a mistake by Microsoft, it is still a better  gaming platform then Windows 8. The integrated graphics chip is weak. The Sims games are 3D graphical games are should be played with a dedicated graphics chip. If you are going to play 3D graphical games (the Sims games included) you should get a gaming computer. While the HP may be a good student/business computer but today's 3D graphical games are just too demanding for it. Try looking at cyberpowerpc.com. Dell would be another place to look. Some of their laptops have dual video chips and they have the Alienware line. I do not recommend big box stores as they may not (probably not) have the knowledge to sell AND service your purchase.

Message 3 of 7 (1,048 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict At the moment, the packs I have installed are Generations, Seasons, Ambitions, Pets, Late Night, and Showtime. My current save is in Monte Visa, and this problem happens throughout the entire game whether it's a new or saved game. I have tried deleting cache files, and installing cleaning software. My CC is only about 100 because I try to only install items that i feel are needed and I don't want to jam my game with 1,000 cc items because I think it would make it worse. I also use mods and they're mostly NRAAS related. I would be open to looking for laptops too, i'm in the U.S.

Message 4 of 7 (1,034 Views)

@Cayluhhb  I do think that the performance issues you're seeing are due to your computer's underpowered hardware, perhaps combined with its age, rather than anything you're doing in-game.  I would never expect this system to run Pets and Seasons very well, even new and on low graphics settings.  (The other packs would probably be fine, with the possible exception of Showtime.)  Really, the only way to get the kind of TS3 experience you're looking for is to buy a new computer.

In the meantime, though, you could try manually changing the in-game resolution to match your monitor.  As roberta591 pointed out, you're working with a nonstandard resolution, one that isn't supported by TS3.  You can change the setting your options.ini file, inside your game folder.  If it doesn't work, trash the file, and a new one will spawn the next time you launch the game.  Alternately, you could try playing in windowed mode, or using Windowed Borderless Gaming.

It should also be noted that while most NRaas mods don't significantly impact performance, and a few (ErrorTrap, Overwatch, Register, and Traffic) will lower the game's overhead, StoryProgression will increase the demands on your system by a significant margin.  If you have it in play, you might want to turn down the speed of its cycles to slow or snail and see if it helps at all.

I'll look around a bit more for other desktops if you'd like, but I think the one I linked earlier is as good as you're going to see unless you increase your budget.  A laptop that will run all of your packs on high settings will likely cost at least $800 even with holiday sales, and its specs won't be any better than that desktop.  Still, I'll poke around later tonight, if you're still interested.

P.S.  It's probably unrelated to your TS3 issues, but your dxdiag shows a whole pile of Windows update failures (at the very end).  You might need to take some time to update your system, unless you're deliberately avoiding it.

Message 5 of 7 (1,010 Views)

★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Ok, thanks for the info Standard smile. I'll try the tips you gave me. And a few suggestions for some other computers would be great, just to know what kind of specs I should be looking for. Thumbs up

Message 6 of 7 (1,005 Views)

@Cayluhhb  Alright, after a bit of browsing, I have a few examples for you.  First, though, here are the requirements you'd want to see for a computer to run TS3 with all EPs on high settings:

• 2.4 GHz Intel i5 or i7, or AMD equivalent, not U- or Y-series; a laptop will do better with an i7 than an i5
  • 8 GB RAM.  For other uses and/or futureproofing, you might want 16 GB, but the game doesn't need that much
  • a dedicated graphics card at least 950 or 1050 (desktop) or 960 or 1050 ti (laptop), or AMD equivalents.  Specs don't always list the "ti," but you can tell by the VRAM figure—a baseline 1050 has 2 GB, a 1050 ti has 4 GB
  • a hard drive of at least 512 GB.  A solid-state drive is nice—TS3 will load, save, and open CAS a bit faster—but it isn't necessary.  Many laptops come with a small SSD and a larger HDD, but if your C drive (where Windows is installed) is 256 GB or smaller, you won't see the benefits in-game, as you'll need to install the program files on and redirect your game folder to the HDD.

Here are a few examples of laptops I found that meet these requirements:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834235071&ignorebbr=1

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GP62MVR248-15-6-Traditional-Laptop/dp/B01N6IQU2J
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Flagship-Quad-Core-GeForce-Keyboard/dp/B07GZHHLHG
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-FX53VE-MS74-Gaming-Laptop-Computer/dp/B074Y8Q2Z8
https://www.amazon.com/Flagship-Performance-i7-7700HQ-GeForce-Keyboard/dp/B077ZTFZ23

In addition to the desktop I linked earlier, I listed a few others in this thread:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/Can-I-run-the-Sims-3-on-these-specs/m-p/7206117#M233367

There are a couple of newer processors, namely Intel i5-8300H and i7-8750H, that have better benchmarks than older models like the i7-7700HQ you'll see in the laptops above.  The issue is that the newer models have a lower base clock speed (2.3 and 2.2 GHz, respectively).  Even though they can turbo higher than the older models, you wouldn't want them doing so constantly while you're playing.  However, I'm not sure how often they'd need to, since they're really right on the border.  This is the kind of question that's beyond my abilities, but you might be able to ask about these processors' performance at Mod the Sims.

Anyway, here are a couple of examples:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834316524

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Quad-Core-Benchmark-i7-7700HQ-Dedicated/dp/B07H6T11LF

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154939&ignorebbr=1

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154830&ignorebbr=1

Message 7 of 7 (989 Views)