Re: Sims 3 doesn't show Expansion packs

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 3 doesn't show Expansion packs

★★★ Novice

I just spent a couple hours installing Sims 3 and about 10 expension packs (all from discs), Origin says some are installed, some I need to buy.. Sorry Origin but they're on my frickin' laptop. On the Sims 3 Launcher they're shown as not installed but the second I click I wanna install them through the Launcher Origin starts and says I can't install them and have to buy them again.. I literally checked everything, uninstalled a game and downloaded it through Origin and it still doesn't show up. I completely understand that EA doesn't want me to play Sims 3 anymore but this is just straight up annoying.

Message 1 of 9 (1,058 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]

@bowie960619  You can install TS3 on whichever drive you prefer; it shouldn't make a difference.  There are often issues with uninstalling on one drive and reinstalling on another, but the problem is usually that the game's leftover registry keys weren't cleaned out first.  Those old entries be why the packs you donwloaded through Origin aren't working either.

So, here are the steps to creating a disc-only install:

• Uninstall the game and clean your computer's registry of all TS3-related entries, either manually or with a tool like Piriform's CCleaner.
  • Uninstall Origin as well.
  • Download the Super Patch from here:  https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/175477/official-ea-download-link-for-the-sims-3-cumulati...
  • Take your computer completely offline, as in, turn off wifi and/or unplug the ethernet cable.
  • Install the base game only.  If the EA Download Manager asks to control your install, say no.  The EADM will do everything it can to "upgrade" itself to Origin.
  • When the base game is installed, run the Super Patch and test.
  • Install your packs in order.  When you're done, run the Super Patch again.
  • Test to make sure the game runs.
  • Go online and open the launcher.  Accept any updates it offers; these are not Origin-related.  (Also, it can't download Origin onto your computer for you.)
  • For the missing store content patches, please read this thread:  https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16341942/#Comment_16341942

This is the usual path to installing via disc, and it works for almost everyone.  If you run into trouble, just let me know, and I'll try to help.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 4 of 9 (1,017 Views)

All Replies

@bowie960619  Can you register the discs that Origin thinks you don't own?  Even at this late date, you can still add the codes to your account, as long as they haven't been used already.  Otherwise, Origin may keep insisting that you don't own them.

There might be a simple solution to this, although it doesn't always help.  Try clearing Origin's cache, and if that doesn't work, uninstalling Origin "the hard way" and reinstalling.  You don't need to install any of your packs, although you could try uninstalling and reinstalling the newest one only (preferably via Origin, if it reads as owned).

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/manually-uninstalling-origin/

Otherwise, there may not be a way to force Origin to cooperate.  Often enough, Origin will accept a disc install when the corresponding pack isn't on the account, but not always.  The only way to avoid this is to keep Origin out of the picture entirely.  You own everything on disc, as is necessary, but is your base game disc old enough to not require Origin?  Specifically, it needs to have been manufactured before September 2012.  If you're not sure, check the case—the newer ones will have the Origin logo and/or a banner across the top that says something about an online experience.  (You could check the copyright date as well).

If you don't need Origin to install the base game, that sounds like the best way to go.  Let me know, and I can write out instructions for an Origin-free install.

Message 2 of 9 (1,050 Views)

★★★ Novice

I tried all the tips but it still doesn't work. Some discs I bought second-hand so I can't register those, but the ones I downloaded through Origin (that I also own on-disc) don't work either. There was a time I could turn off Origin but it keeps starting when I try to check off the games on the Sims 3 Launcher and when I uninstall Origin I can barely start the TS3 Launcher. I bought the game the day it was released so if you could help me with an Origin free install I'd be very grateful!

The only other thing is that I installed the game on my D:/ drive rather than my C:/ drive but I installed and played them while being installed there several times so I don't understand what the problem is, it's just that my laptop crashed a couple months ago so I lost the games, even though I have played TS3 on this exact same laptop and with the same installation settings.

Message 3 of 9 (1,030 Views)

[ Edited ]

@bowie960619  You can install TS3 on whichever drive you prefer; it shouldn't make a difference.  There are often issues with uninstalling on one drive and reinstalling on another, but the problem is usually that the game's leftover registry keys weren't cleaned out first.  Those old entries be why the packs you donwloaded through Origin aren't working either.

So, here are the steps to creating a disc-only install:

• Uninstall the game and clean your computer's registry of all TS3-related entries, either manually or with a tool like Piriform's CCleaner.
  • Uninstall Origin as well.
  • Download the Super Patch from here:  https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/175477/official-ea-download-link-for-the-sims-3-cumulati...
  • Take your computer completely offline, as in, turn off wifi and/or unplug the ethernet cable.
  • Install the base game only.  If the EA Download Manager asks to control your install, say no.  The EADM will do everything it can to "upgrade" itself to Origin.
  • When the base game is installed, run the Super Patch and test.
  • Install your packs in order.  When you're done, run the Super Patch again.
  • Test to make sure the game runs.
  • Go online and open the launcher.  Accept any updates it offers; these are not Origin-related.  (Also, it can't download Origin onto your computer for you.)
  • For the missing store content patches, please read this thread:  https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16341942/#Comment_16341942

This is the usual path to installing via disc, and it works for almost everyone.  If you run into trouble, just let me know, and I'll try to help.

Message 4 of 9 (1,018 Views)

★★★ Novice
I'm so sorry, it worked and I just played everyday eversince without letting you know haha, thank you so much!
Message 5 of 9 (937 Views)

@bowie960619  No worries, I'm so glad to hear it worked.  Enjoy.

Message 6 of 9 (933 Views)

★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict I'm so sorry to get back to you now but I've been Googling but can't find anything; right now I play Sims 3 now without having Origin installed whatsoever, do I now ruin all the work by installing Origin for other games? Will the expansion packs disappear if I install Origin the same laptop? Thank you.
Message 7 of 9 (765 Views)

@bowie960619  It's not a problem to get back to me now, or whenever.  If you install Origin on the same computer where Sims 3 is, Origin may recognize the install and try to update it to 1.69 and take over.  This used to happen to people even when they'd disabled auto updates, and it could happen to you as well.

It's possible that Origin would still allow you to use your existing packs, but there's no guarantee.  You might end up having to wipe the Sims 3 install, and Origin, and start from scratch.

If you're up for a bit of experimenting, I have an idea for an approach you could try.  I don't know if it would work, or if it would break your Sims 3 install (as in, you'd need to reinstall), but it's based on the fact that Origin doesn't recognize my own Sims 3 install at all.  Mine is through Steam, and the install path and registry entries look different; I've wondered if that was why Origin never tried to touch it.  So let me know if you're up for some messing around.  But like I said, it might break your install.

Message 8 of 9 (746 Views)

★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict I don't know if I wanna risk it haha, I currently have Sims 3 installed on my main laptop but have Origin with Sims 2, Medieval and Sims 4 on a smaller laptop because I barely play them and sort of.. delete them after playing them for a day haha, but I'll keep it in mind, maybe I'll try it later. Thanks a lot!
Message 9 of 9 (711 Views)