Re: Sims 3 VS 4

by roberta591

Original Post

Sims 3 VS 4

★ Apprentice

I want to start playing the main Sims games ((have played a Sims DS game and the Sims app)) but I'm not sure which one I should go for. I'm a person who doesn't believe that newer=better all the time, but it very well can.

Things that I don't care too much about when making decisions for games

1. Graphics. Pretty graphics are nice, but they don't make or break a game for me.
  2. Price for game/expansions. I have plenty of money I can spend on expansions
  3. Glitches that have no effect on gameplay. Sometimes they're quite hilarious 

Things that matter to me when making a decisions for a game

1. Amount of content. In non linear games I need lots to do or I'll be bored.
  2. AI. Stupid characters that don't do what I say or walk into walls or something frustrate me to no end
  3. Ease of use. If the controls aren't clear and it's hard to get around and do things, that's a major turn off for me
  4. Game breaking bugs. If it keeps me from progressing/doing what I want then it will make me mad. 
Message 1 of 7 (419 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@JurassicKing87  The Sims 3 is a very mature game (meaning I don't see any new packs - I could be wrong but EA has classified the game as legacy). There is a lot of DLC and packs which can provide many hours of game play. There are a few bugs but for the most part most can be worked around and I find the game very playable at this point. The Sims 4 is focused on emotions and plays differently then TS3. TS4 is still maturing and packs are still being developed. TS4 is playable (C&D pack was just released and seems to have some issues that will most likely get straightened out). C&D (like TS3 PETS) puts more emotions to the cats and dogs. The textures for both games is similar. I don't play games on a console if I can get the game on a pc. The worlds in TS3 seem larger then TS4. I personally like playing both games. I like open ended games and these games do provide hours of game play. The games are different and I feel TS4 is having trouble getting users away from TS3 (cost?) but that could be TS4 is still maturing. TS3 has been out for some time (released in 2009). This could change as future TS4 packs come out. There is enough in TS4 where I feel there is a lot of game play. I have been a sims player since Sim City. Sims 3 is very playable and once you get used to TS3 you will notice that TS4 is different.  TS4 packs are not coming out as fast as I would like and for me that packs aren't as interesting as TS3 World Adventures but offer some interesting game play such as the bowling alley. You really need to play both games.  hth

Message 2 of 7 (406 Views)

★ Apprentice

I suppose I could always get Sims 3 now, play it and wait for Sims 4 prices to drop. I can wait-I have PLENTY of games I could be playing :D I actually bought Battlefront 2 last night yet am already on the hunt for new games

Are there any expansions you would consider to be "essential" to either game, namely 3?

Message 3 of 7 (404 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@JurassicKing87  Sims 3 - Season and PETS - both work the computer graphics harder then normal. IP has routing issues but can be fixed. I liked WA for the puzzles and different worlds. Actually I'm playing Fallout 4 right now but my gaming machine is down for the moment (hard drive crash). May just upgrade to a Ryzen 1600X machine. Waiting to see If I have enough money but I'm long over due for a gaming machine upgrade.

Message 4 of 7 (397 Views)

★ Apprentice

Those two you would consider essential? 

I shouldn't have to worry about a game as old as Sims 3. I can run newer games very well, many at 60 FPS

Message 5 of 7 (395 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@JurassicKing87  Do to the coding for TS3 it seems to cause issues sometimes (rarely) with even high end systems. There seems to be no rhyme or reason.

Message 6 of 7 (381 Views)

★ Apprentice

I see. Well thank you for the answers! I'll buy Sims 3 and if I like it enough, work through the expansions.

Message 7 of 7 (380 Views)