Re: Sims 3 Does Not Recognize AMD Graphics Card

by TamareM

Original Post

★★★ Novice

Hi all, 

So I'm having a similare problem...I'm not tech savvy at all, so this is all gibberish to me, but I just went and installed ALL of the games and stuff packs only to discover the system does not recognize my graphics card...I honestly don't know what to do and it's quite upsetting. I was able to open the log and here is the graphics card information.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'd appreciate some assistance Standard smile 

=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): AMD Radeon(TM) R9 270X
Name (database): AMD Radeon(TM) R9 270X [Found: 0, Matched: 0]
Vendor: ATI
Chipset: Vendor: 1002, Device: 6810, Board: 0b041002, Chipset: 0000

Message 11 of 13 (1,624 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hi all.

I realize that this is a somewhat old thread, but my problem is (at least partially) in line with this one, so I figured I'd put it in here instead of creating a new one.

I also had (have) the problem with the dual graphics cards (intel integrated card and amd radeon hd 8870m) where the sims 3 should have easily been able to run on at least good settings (i did the cyri for sims4 and i barely miss out on recommended), but didn't (worst setting, with constant low fps and 3-5 second freezes every now and then).

I'm using windows 8.1 (which I've found to be a horrendous idea for gaming, not that I had a choice when I bought it).

So I googled it and found several threads (including this one) dedicated to fixing this problem. I opened op the two .srg files and my card was indeed not in there, so I added it. Then I went through both the intel 'graphics options' and the settings in the catalyst control center and the 'configure switchable graphics' tab (pretty much 'maximize performance' everywhere).

It didn't work, so I replaced the .srg's with the originals and tried again (which I did again after it didn't work again). Then I tried compatibility mode and running as administrator.

Still didn't work, so I decided to just put it aside and try again later.

However, since then I've tried playing other games, but most other games on my computer now also lag and freeze constantly.

I haven't changed anything other than these things (no updates, no other installed programs), and I still have loads of room on my drive (both of them actually).

In particular I'm talking about 'XCOM - enemy unknown', 'Assassin's Creed 3' and 'NBA 2k13', which all ran perfectly before, but are now constantly running on low fps. Also, it might not be important, but for some reason 'Europa Universalis 4' is the only game that still runs the way it used to, even though that's the only game currently on my computer that I've ever experienced any form of low fps with before.

As far as I know, the .srg files can't influence other games, so the problem lies with the changes I did in the intel and catalyst control center. I've tried everything I can think of (resetting options to default, then toggling them around manually, then updating the drivers (which were up to date), and after that uninstalling the device and downloading and installing the drivers manually) but I can't get them to work decently again.

Right now, it isn't even about playing the sims anymore, I'd be happy to get everything else working again (without losing progress)

Hope you have some ideas on what to do,

Corove

PS:

- also, in the catalyst control center I don't have that checkmark that some people seem to have to get a pop-up when a new program opens to assign a graphics card

- when I use the catalyst control center to monitor which program uses which gpu, rarely does running program show up in there, only explorer and sometimes google chrome

Message 12 of 13 (1,319 Views)

★ Apprentice

very old thread, but i hope SOMEONE is monitoring this.

A recent "update" over in the Sims 4 world, caused both that game AND my Sims 3 to not work anymore. I don't care about 4 (right now). I seriously need to get my Sims 3 working again.

I have read through ALL the previous posts/comments, but there was NOTHING posted about HOW to go ABOUT getting the AMD graphics card to work. Or, more precisely... to get the GAME to read it.

WHAT ARE THE STEPS??? Does ANYONE know??

Message 13 of 13 (580 Views)